JMB RetrofitsEM Tuning
    3rd Gear

Status

I've got to be the crappiest S3 driver the audi brand has ever known.

Signed up for a trackday but it got canceled due to the lack of confirmed participants. Organizers arranged to move those who paid (including myself) to a Honda event which is happening earlier.

Thinking I'd be battling with normally aspirated yet torqueless FWD machines that needs to be revved like an opera singer, I wasnt too worried. Expected to mingle within the main group bar a few dedicated track cars (gutted, open pipe, full slicks, lexan windows and stuff).

Once at the track, I got a little worried. Almost everything is a Type-R, the red honda badges on every car isnt a fakie that's just stuck onto a gutless 1.6 civic.
    Sure, there are some normal hondas, and even a suzuki swift, and a 1.6 civic saloon, but most of them are eager to see how would a german hot hatch perform against them red badged cars.

Tight corners are the only spots i can hang on well, the fwd setup cant be too ideal for corner exit. Some of them are even doing the tripod.

Medium or long corners where the 4wd advantage diminish just plainly sucks, so lets not talk about it.

The straights (around 900m long) surprise me, because I was expecting to pull away from them, but it wasnt as dramatic/easy as it sounds. I was only able to overtake one or two cars per straight when bunched up in traffic.

By the books, I should have an advantage of 4wd and 260bhp, but it seems that the few hundred kilos weight handicap and driver deficit pulled things even. Sorry to shame the name of the S3 again folks

I need a GTR or something...
    World's Fastest S3 Driver - racing old people in toyota camries since 1997 with a 97.6% winning rate.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Now running on Bentley's y'all

Status
    Yep, Type-R's can go round corner, and aren't too heavy.

The S3 is a quick car for the road, but on the track It'd expect a CTR or an ITR to give it a run for it's money...
    A3 3.2 V6 S-Line | Brilliant Black | Full Votex Kit | 18" Cades Bern / 19" Bentley 5 Spokes in flat grey with 215/35 Falkens | Custom Code Remap
    V-Maxx coilovers | Remus exhaust | Pipercross Viper | Goodridge Brake Lines | RNS-E | Bluetooth | FBMFSW
    Previous VAGs: 99 S4 Biturbo | 06 Golf GT TDI | 08 A4 S-Line TDI PD140 | 02 Passat 4.0 W8
    Other toy: Suzuki GSX-R750 K3 Black/Silver

Leather arm rest for sale | S3 mirror covers for sale | 09 3dr tail lights wanted | Twin grills wanted PM me!

Boycie

Status
    Remap and wave bye bye to the ricers!

automatic

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by boggysv View Post

no you don't m8! A "gold-plated clown's car" will only make you King of the Ricers, and will expensively fail before you've done a complete lap

What you have got, has got plenty of potential
    Still loving the 130i like the sideways dirtbag I am

S3 (8P)

Status
    Whate the bhp/tonne and torque/tonne for a CTR and stock S3?

Ive had both cars and day to day the S3 felt much quicker.

You must be `Eddy The Eagle`s answer to track days mate
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

automatic

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulAr View Post

Going by the thread title, I think he knows...

Reverse Gear

Status
    Even the 1.6 DOHC EG civics push 160(ish) bhp in standard form, those little cars can be very nippy

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulAr View Post
    Whate the bhp/tonne and torque/tonne for a CTR and stock S3?

Ive had both cars and day to day the S3 felt much quicker.

Yes, the S3 does "feel" quicker when them torks pull you out of the corner even if you are one gear higher.

CTR weight = 1270 kg + driver, fuel, and stuff...so maybe 1370?
    source : http://www.fastestlaps.com/car4725ed280dbc3.html

S3 weight = 1450 kg + driver, fuel, and my precious rubber mats...about 1550kg I reckon?

Stock CTR has 222hp, S3 with 265. Most of them have an exhaust or a reflash, but seeing that they are NA, I doubt they will have more than 240. So on the power to weight areguement, we are almost identical. The S3 "theoretically" should have better corner exit though.
    World's Fastest S3 Driver - racing old people in toyota camries since 1997 with a 97.6% winning rate.

automatic

Status
    Aw bless you Boggy! Just get a bloody remap innit

S3 (8P)

Status
    The UK spec CTR is 197bhp.

As HBD said, go get yourself REVO`d
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..

Before:

BMW 320d M Sport

Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    etc....

automatic

Status
    Revo...and if those nasty 'orrible 'ondas are still bothering you, maybe some driving lessons? I don't mean you're a crap driver (you said it though) but maybe a bit of track tuition, perhaps you're missing something simple?

I went on a track once and I was crap - slowest car there, lapped by a Mitsubishi thingy, racing lines, more like laughter lines...I had a great giggle though and so did the Castle Combe marshalls. Point is, I'm sure if I drove it all properly, I'd have been round 10 minutes quicker

TAC
    3.2 V6 Burble... hmmmmmmm

Status

Signed up for a trackday but it got canceled due to the lack of confirmed participants. Organizers arranged to move those who paid (including myself) to a Honda event which is happening earlier.

Thinking I'd be battling with normally aspirated yet torqueless FWD machines that needs to be revved like an opera singer, I wasnt too worried. Expected to mingle within the main group bar a few dedicated track cars (gutted, open pipe, full slicks, lexan windows and stuff).

Once at the track, I got a little worried. Almost everything is a Type-R, the red honda badges on every car isnt a fakie that's just stuck onto a gutless 1.6 civic.
    Sure, there are some normal hondas, and even a suzuki swift, and a 1.6 civic saloon, but most of them are eager to see how would a german hot hatch perform against them red badged cars.

Tight corners are the only spots i can hang on well, the fwd setup cant be too ideal for corner exit. Some of them are even doing the tripod.

Medium or long corners where the 4wd advantage diminish just plainly sucks, so lets not talk about it.

The straights (around 900m long) surprise me, because I was expecting to pull away from them, but it wasnt as dramatic/easy as it sounds. I was only able to overtake one or two cars per straight when bunched up in traffic.

By the books, I should have an advantage of 4wd and 260bhp, but it seems that the few hundred kilos weight handicap and driver deficit pulled things even. Sorry to shame the name of the S3 again folks

Used to have a Honda S2000 and it used to nark me off having some little MX5 stripped down with a racing set up wiz past through the corners on track days....

Get some racing tuition, take all your seats out bar drivers, spare wheel any useless paraphernalia, don't eat the night before then you might stand more of a chance... or just accept what you have and enjoy the experience thats what I ended up doing???

Only my thoughts...
    Current - A3 3.2 DSG S-Line
    Gone but not forgotten Honda S2000 GT K&N FPIK (F***ing lairy in the wet but so so much fun...)- Golf MK3 GTI 16v -Mondeo V6 24v

FOR SALE - Indicator stalk and lower steering wheel cowling
    A3 3DR pair of rear lights in A1 condition from my 06 A3

5th Gear

Status
    Yes, the S3 does "feel" quicker when them torks pull you out of the corner even if you are one gear higher.

CTR weight = 1270 kg + driver, fuel, and stuff...so maybe 1370?
    source : http://www.fastestlaps.com/car4725ed280dbc3.html

S3 weight = 1450 kg + driver, fuel, and my precious rubber mats...about 1550kg I reckon?

Stock CTR has 222hp, S3 with 265. Most of them have an exhaust or a reflash, but seeing that they are NA, I doubt they will have more than 240. So on the power to weight areguement, we are almost identical. The S3 "theoretically" should have better corner exit though.
    Current and last gen Uk CTRs only have 197 bhp not 222, thats the jap spec version, the DC5 Integra type R has 220 ish also.
    With that in mind I would have really thought you should easily have the legs on ANY standard CTR in your S3, with a much superior power:weight.
    No offence, but how much do you weigh?!
    A3 2.0TFSI quattro Sportback Lava Grey | | GIAC K03 Extreme Map | Autotech HPFP | RS4 Fuel Regulator | Neuspeed P-Flo | BSH PCV Fix | MV Sport DP | S3 Intake Cam | 285 BHP & 320 lb Ft Torque
    Votex Kit | TD Pro race 1.2 | Schwarze Audi Rings | Alu Rails | Sachs Clutch | H & R Now gone. Current- A5 Cab 2012

Third Gear

Status
    Have had both myself, S3 day to day is a much better more comfortable car, i always said when asked to compare the 2 cars I would have the S3 everytime but if I had the choice on a dry track I would probably go for the Type R.

Mark
    07 S3 Sprint Blue Now Sold
    12 Range Rover Evoque Dynamic Now sold
    A3 20 TDI S-Line Sportback in Daytona Grey with Aluminium Roof Rails, Fine Nappa Leather, Sat Nav, Comfort pack,Audi Sound System, Folding Mirrors, Heated Seats, Privacy Glass, Interior Light Pack, Non Smoke Pack.

3rd Gear

Status
    I say get the Revo done, rip out the rear seats and the spare wheel! The rear seats weigh a lot. That should sort the problem out!

Meteor S3, APR Stage 3, APR HPFP, Milltek TBE, LOBA/Sach's Clutch, Bilstein PSS10's, H&R ARB, Gen4 Haldex PP, EVOM's DV & CAI, Forge TB with Pro-Alloy IC, BBS CK 19" My S3

automatic

Status
    Don't forget to put a tiny little battery in it and have everybody take the p**s out of you (bit of obscure forum history)

S3 (8P)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by markwiggy View Post
    Have had both myself, S3 day to day is a much better more comfortable car, i always said when asked to compare the 2 cars I would have the S3 everytime but if I had the choice on a dry track I would probably go for the Type R.

Mark
    Affirmative
    Now:

Before:

BMW 320d M Sport

Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    etc....

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by akash_sky1 View Post
    Current and last gen Uk CTRs only have 197 bhp not 222, thats the jap spec version, the DC5 Integra type R has 220 ish also.
    With that in mind I would have really thought you should easily have the legs on ANY standard CTR in your S3, with a much superior power:weight.
    No offence, but how much do you weigh?!
    as above, the power to weight is about the same.
    and yes, we have many FD2 CTRs over here...they are everywhere.

http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforu...-sepang-4.html

Can you imagine 20 of them zooming past at 8krpm?

Reverse Gear

Status
    experience counts for everything in circuit racing.

let me say that again: EXPERIENCE!!
    Black MY09 AUDI APR Stage 1
    Sunroof, Tint, Adaptive Bi-Xenons, Light/rain sensor : ILP : BOSE : Bluetooth : FBMFSW : Auto Dimming/folding mirrors : Park assist

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    Get a remap and you'll be fine lad.

3rd Gear

Status
    Some pics from the event. My buddy just told me that the bunch i was stuck to was doing sub 3 min laps at sepang (about 2.5X) depending on traffic, so overall it's not that bad I suppose.

They do look quite good in blue imho.

I feel awkward being the only german car in there.

Neutral

Status
    Mate to be fair then CTR's are cheeky little numbers, wicked handling and very responsive, but in the right hands the S3 would wipe the floor with them. I took mine to Oulton Park and had no dramas disposing of standard integra's and civics Type R's. But if they are modded what do you expect, thats the whole point of modding them. To really mug them off race them in the wet.