I've got to be the crappiest S3 driver the audi brand has ever known.

boggysv

Reaction score
:crying:

Signed up for a trackday but it got canceled due to the lack of confirmed participants. Organizers arranged to move those who paid (including myself) to a Honda event which is happening earlier.

Thinking I'd be battling with normally aspirated yet torqueless FWD machines that needs to be revved like an opera singer, I wasnt too worried. Expected to mingle within the main group bar a few dedicated track cars (gutted, open pipe, full slicks, lexan windows and stuff).

Once at the track, I got a little worried. Almost everything is a Type-R, the red honda badges on every car isnt a fakie that's just stuck onto a gutless 1.6 civic.
Sure, there are some normal hondas, and even a suzuki swift, and a 1.6 civic saloon, but most of them are eager to see how would a german hot hatch perform against them red badged cars.

Tight corners are the only spots i can hang on well, the fwd setup cant be too ideal for corner exit. Some of them are even doing the tripod.

Medium or long corners where the 4wd advantage diminish just plainly sucks, so lets not talk about it.

The straights (around 900m long) surprise me, because I was expecting to pull away from them, but it wasnt as dramatic/easy as it sounds. I was only able to overtake one or two cars per straight when bunched up in traffic.

By the books, I should have an advantage of 4wd and 260bhp, but it seems that the few hundred kilos weight handicap and driver deficit pulled things even. Sorry to shame the name of the S3 again folks:keule:

I need a GTR or something...

Yep, Type-R's can go round corner, and aren't too heavy.

The S3 is a quick car for the road, but on the track It'd expect a CTR or an ITR to give it a run for it's money...

Whate the bhp/tonne and torque/tonne for a CTR and stock S3?

Ive had both cars and day to day the S3 felt much quicker.

You must be `Eddy The Eagle`s answer to track days mate:scared2:

Even the 1.6 DOHC EG civics push 160(ish) bhp in standard form, those little cars can be very nippy

Whate the bhp/tonne and torque/tonne for a CTR and stock S3?

Ive had both cars and day to day the S3 felt much quicker.

You must be `Eddy The Eagle`s answer to track days mate:scared2:

Yes, the S3 does "feel" quicker when them torks pull you out of the corner even if you are one gear higher.

CTR weight = 1270 kg + driver, fuel, and stuff...so maybe 1370?
source : http://www.fastestlaps.com/car4725ed280dbc3.html

S3 weight = 1450 kg + driver, fuel, and my precious rubber mats...about 1550kg I reckon?

Stock CTR has 222hp, S3 with 265. Most of them have an exhaust or a reflash, but seeing that they are NA, I doubt they will have more than 240. So on the power to weight areguement, we are almost identical. The S3 "theoretically" should have better corner exit though.

The UK spec CTR is 197bhp.

As HBD said, go get yourself REVO`d:icon_thumright:

Revo...and if those nasty 'orrible 'ondas are still bothering you, maybe some driving lessons? I don't mean you're a crap driver (you said it though) but maybe a bit of track tuition, perhaps you're missing something simple?

I went on a track once and I was crap - slowest car there, lapped by a Mitsubishi thingy, racing lines, more like laughter lines...I had a great giggle though and so did the Castle Combe marshalls. Point is, I'm sure if I drove it all properly, I'd have been round 10 minutes quicker :happy:

:crying:

Signed up for a trackday but it got canceled due to the lack of confirmed participants. Organizers arranged to move those who paid (including myself) to a Honda event which is happening earlier.

Thinking I'd be battling with normally aspirated yet torqueless FWD machines that needs to be revved like an opera singer, I wasnt too worried. Expected to mingle within the main group bar a few dedicated track cars (gutted, open pipe, full slicks, lexan windows and stuff).

Once at the track, I got a little worried. Almost everything is a Type-R, the red honda badges on every car isnt a fakie that's just stuck onto a gutless 1.6 civic.
Sure, there are some normal hondas, and even a suzuki swift, and a 1.6 civic saloon, but most of them are eager to see how would a german hot hatch perform against them red badged cars.

Tight corners are the only spots i can hang on well, the fwd setup cant be too ideal for corner exit. Some of them are even doing the tripod.

Medium or long corners where the 4wd advantage diminish just plainly sucks, so lets not talk about it.

The straights (around 900m long) surprise me, because I was expecting to pull away from them, but it wasnt as dramatic/easy as it sounds. I was only able to overtake one or two cars per straight when bunched up in traffic.

By the books, I should have an advantage of 4wd and 260bhp, but it seems that the few hundred kilos weight handicap and driver deficit pulled things even. Sorry to shame the name of the S3 again folks:keule:

I need a GTR or something...

Used to have a Honda S2000 and it used to nark me off having some little MX5 stripped down with a racing set up wiz past through the corners on track days....

Get some racing tuition, take all your seats out bar drivers, spare wheel any useless paraphernalia, don't eat the night before then you might stand more of a chance... or just accept what you have and enjoy the experience thats what I ended up doing???

Only my thoughts...

Yes, the S3 does "feel" quicker when them torks pull you out of the corner even if you are one gear higher.

CTR weight = 1270 kg + driver, fuel, and stuff...so maybe 1370?
source : http://www.fastestlaps.com/car4725ed280dbc3.html

S3 weight = 1450 kg + driver, fuel, and my precious rubber mats...about 1550kg I reckon?

Stock CTR has 222hp, S3 with 265. Most of them have an exhaust or a reflash, but seeing that they are NA, I doubt they will have more than 240. So on the power to weight areguement, we are almost identical. The S3 "theoretically" should have better corner exit though.
Current and last gen Uk CTRs only have 197 bhp not 222, thats the jap spec version, the DC5 Integra type R has 220 ish also.
With that in mind I would have really thought you should easily have the legs on ANY standard CTR in your S3, with a much superior power:weight.
No offence, but how much do you weigh?!

Have had both myself, S3 day to day is a much better more comfortable car, i always said when asked to compare the 2 cars I would have the S3 everytime but if I had the choice on a dry track I would probably go for the Type R.

Mark

I say get the Revo done, rip out the rear seats and the spare wheel! The rear seats weigh a lot. That should sort the problem out! :yum:

Don't forget to put a tiny little battery in it and have everybody take the p**s out of you (bit of obscure forum history)

Have had both myself, S3 day to day is a much better more comfortable car, i always said when asked to compare the 2 cars I would have the S3 everytime but if I had the choice on a dry track I would probably go for the Type R.

Mark

Affirmative:icon_thumright:

Current and last gen Uk CTRs only have 197 bhp not 222, thats the jap spec version, the DC5 Integra type R has 220 ish also.
With that in mind I would have really thought you should easily have the legs on ANY standard CTR in your S3, with a much superior power:weight.
No offence, but how much do you weigh?!

as above, the power to weight is about the same.
and yes, we have many FD2 CTRs over here...they are everywhere.

http://www.zerotohundred.com/newfor...-join-an-exclusive-track-day-at-sepang-4.html

076.jpg

072.jpg

086.jpg

Can you imagine 20 of them zooming past at 8krpm?:ninja:

Some pics from the event. My buddy just told me that the bunch i was stuck to was doing sub 3 min laps at sepang (about 2.5X) depending on traffic, so overall it's not that bad I suppose.

10832_204609087441_626227441_394334.jpg

14568_184444658357_710453357_302152.jpg

14568_184444663357_710453357_302152.jpg

14568_184444683357_710453357_302152.jpg

14568_184444693357_710453357_302153.jpg

14568_184452388357_710453357_302161.jpg

14568_184521593357_710453357_302205.jpg

They do look quite good in blue imho.

14568_185213063357_710453357_302775.jpg

I feel awkward being the only german car in there.

Mate to be fair then CTR's are cheeky little numbers, wicked handling and very responsive, but in the right hands the S3 would wipe the floor with them. I took mine to Oulton Park and had no dramas disposing of standard integra's and civics Type R's. But if they are modded what do you expect, thats the whole point of modding them. To really mug them off race them in the wet.