8P reverse camera...looks nifty.

boggysv

Reaction score
Apparently some smart guy have figured out how to have the R8 reverse camera with trajectory guides work with the A3's RNSe. Perfect OEM solution for the weekend DIYer it seems.

Personally, I dont have an RNSe, nor am I affiliated with the proprietor, just thought someone here who would be interested, that's all.

And just because they speak a thousand words
DSC02953.jpg

DSC02955.jpg

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=2768052

Last edited:
There's nowt wrong with linking to another forum mate!

Looks smart!

How much £££ do you think?

Yeah I knew someone had tested with an R8 setup, but cause of the dimension differences of the cars I dont think they were sure it would work, obviously this is the proof, well done to them I say, always push that boat out huh.

I'll have one.

Ok image didnt load, its basically on the same area as the numberplate bulbs

Last edited:
Yeah it's the number plate light holder from a Q7 which fits in the same place on the 8P but it has a hole to fit the OEM reverse camera

DSC00560.jpg

I was gonna post that one. Looks like I need to add another mod to the list :readit:

Yeah it's completely unnecessary on a small hatchback, but looks trick as f*ck.

Would be interesting to see how much that little lot costs. Got to be cheaper than the R8 camera option!

This one shows EVERYTHING you'd need to do it:

RearViewCameraPartsAnnotated-vi.jpg

There's a thread with the full price list somewhere but I can't find it.

The Kufatec prices are on the site of course.

Aha:

OEM Parts
Rear View Camera: 4L0-980-551 (list price: $283.90)
Door Handle: 4L0-827-574-3FZ (list price: $143.60)
Camera Retaining Clip: 4L0-980-553 (list price: $6.92)
Tapping Screw: N-909-159-01 (list price: $0.33)

(Exchange rate on 24Dec2008: $1 = €0.695971)

Kufatec Parts
35538 - IMA Integrated Multimedia Adapter control version "Basic-Plus" (price: €189)
35542 - Wiring harness for IMA Audi RNS E "Basic / Basic-Plus" (price: €29.99)
35676 - Wiring IMA auto switch Rear View Cam Audi RNS-E (price: €2.99)
36136 - Connection kit original rear view camera VAG to IMA (price: €39.99)

Last edited:
5-700 at a guess I'd say given media adapter cost, camera setup is few hundred iirc & then you probably need the parking module from the R8 along with if not already fitted the parking sensors to assist this aswell, speculating but must use this aswell to advise on the parking assist

aha bistro, Staz has listed most costs, but those bits dont do the actual lines etc do they, its gotta be an additional module & I would hazard a guess the parking module aswell with sensors.

edit: Urrm I wonder if its a module inline with the video feed to input the lines into the video, now I'm intrigued.

Last edited:
aha bistro, Staz has listed most costs, but those bits dont do the actual lines etc do they, its gotta be an additional module & I would hazard a guess the parking module aswell with sensors.

edit: Urrm I wonder if its a module inline with the video feed to input the lines into the video, now I'm intrigued.

Not entirely sure what you mean there but the camera plugs into the IMA+ along with a signal line for when reverse is selected. The IMA+ then switches the RNS-E to the camera feed. Or did you mean something else?

The lines on the screen mate for the parking assist, they come from somewhere & its not the rns, so it must be a module either in line with the video feed from cam/ima or on the CAN to advise of parking correctly, iirc from previous readings I was sure it was something related to parking module, but as we all do, I read loads of things daily so could be confused with the part used, but it has to be another part involved.

I though that the lines were the issue when I read it a while back. As N says, it was said that you needed the special R8 parking module which was hundreds of £££ and was only calibrated for the R8 dimensions/turning radius etc/

Yeap we read the same one IIRC K, the calibration was the issue at the time, but seems sorted now, I've posted up on the alternatite forum for channels & basic setting areas to have a look at possibly in label files if not encrypted.

Oh I see THOSE lines! I thought you meant electrical lines! lol

The setup above is purely for the camera with auto-switching (plus second AV input).

I see you posted a comment on the forum Mr N, pimping your services LOL

I just know its going to cost silly money :)

You little tinkers :yes:

S'pose this would be the wrong thread to say something like "if you turn your head towards the back window with your eyes open, then you also get a clear view of what's happening...already installed and costs nowt"

:nyah:

I'll save my breath lol :happy:

You little tinkers :yes:

S'pose this would be the wrong thread to say something like "if you turn your head towards the back window with your eyes open, then you also get a clear view of what's happening...already installed and costs nowt"

:nyah:

I'll save my breath lol :happy:
I'm with you Hotbox,or you could go really crazy and have a look in your REAR VIEW mirror :lmfao:

Although it does look pretty trick though :cool:

Thing is I'd need front/rear if I wanted to trust the mrs with the car for even a supermarket run, lol, we went for a curry once, she parked it perfectly, then decided oh no not in close enough, I can still hear the alloy kerb crunching noise on a brand new set of rims on the S3, the nightmares arggghhhhhhhhhhhh (goes to ring psychologist)

I agree it's trick! And a cool mod for the Audi that has everything. Obviously I couldn't be ***** to do that myself...same person who had only 1 sidelight working for 6 months :haha:

My stepma's got a rearview camera on her cayenne - it's pretty good in fact, the picture is almost as sharp as looking out the back window itself :laugh:

I just hope that all this technology doesn't go too far. You can order auto wipers because it's such a damn stretch from steering wheel to wiper stalk...next evolutionary stage for the human race would be a hugely fat immobile torso, with stumpy little arms and legs, a remote control instead of a left hand, and a mobile phone instead of the right. And a direct ISDN line from the brain to Dominos, so your food just turns up when you're hungry...

...oh, wait a minute, that's not so far off :happy:

Final thought re: auto wipers. On my *ahem* BMW I have these wonderful labour-saving devices that stop me getting a hernia from taking 2 fingers off the steering wheel and reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaching ****** miles away to the wiper stalk. The button to turn these devices on? On the wiper stalk.

Technology fail :p

Thing is I'd need front/rear if I wanted to trust the mrs with the car for even a supermarket run, lol, we went for a curry once, she parked it perfectly, then decided oh no not in close enough, I can still hear the alloy kerb crunching noise on a brand new set of rims on the S3, the nightmares arggghhhhhhhhhhhh (goes to ring psychologist)

Cameras on the wheelarches too! :idea:

You can dooo eeeet :superman:

lmfao, whats that movie again, You Can Do Ittttttttttttt lol

Zohan rulez atm.