What's Audi's Normal Policy For Payment?

taylorc

A4 BE Quattro S-Tronic
Reaction score
Hi all,

I went into my dealer yesterday for an update on my order (new Ibis S3) and was given the good news that the car was built and was awaiting shipment to the UK so I should expect to pick it up very soon.
Now on my order form (in pen as it was written after printing) it says payment of balance (£18000) before delivery, the dealer also made a point of repeating this yesterday (he even went as far as saying that I could pay now if I wanted).
Is this normal Audi policy as for every other new car that I have purchased it was balance paid on delivery (Ford & Peugeot)?

When I got mine it was a couple of hundred deposit and balance paid on delivery, they cannot expect you to shell out 18000 before delivery!

I purchased my current A4 and my replaced A3 from a main dealer and other than the deposit, paid the balance on the day with my switch card.

Paid my £3.5K deposit on credit card - and got loads of tesco clubcard points :)

It's up to the individual dealer. They are not part of Audi but a company in their own right.

I must admit I've only ever paid for my cars when I take delivery. But if you have signed an order form that says otherwise...

Taylorc, which dealer are you getting your car from? I got mine from Sutton Coldfied (now Tamworth Audi) if thats any help!

Personally I wouldnt pay any of the remainder until you have the keys in your hand and spent some time looking over it. If you find any issues then they are always quick at rectifying them if your refusing to pay! Once they have your cash they will be less responsive!

Taylorc, which dealer are you getting your car from? I got mine from Sutton Coldfied (now Tamworth Audi) if thats any help!

The dealer in question is Audi Beechwood in Halesowen, I have no reason to believe that there is some dodgy deal going on as they seem quite respectable and established. I just find it strange that the clause was added after in pen and my dealer does seem rather insistant on it!
I have to admit I am reluctant to pay before taking delivery (especially as I can't see the reason for it as the final "final" balance will be paid when they have my Focus ST as the px). I also told him that the balance will be paid via debit card which is an instant payment anyway so I cannot see the problem in waiting until I take delivery, does anyone know my "rights" with refusing to pay until day of delivery?

Thanks

Can they be any more specific as to exactly when "before delivery" is? Is this before delivery to you, or before delivery to the UK?

Do not pay for the car before delivery as part of the PDI you need to make sure you get exactly what you paid for. There was a recent issue with the A6 Le mans edition not having Bluetooth and MMI high. It cost the dealers loads of money in getting third party companies to fit it free of charge. You dont want to take delivery of your new pride and joy and half the bits a re missing.

you'll probably find that the dealer is just trying it on as Audi UK will no doubt not reinforce that request. As it's an S3 they are probably thinking you may jump ship and in their eyes it's not an easy car to sell on if you pull out of the deal...the car is their responsibility to sell once the order is placed.

I bought a new s3 last month and paid the remainder of the ballance by switch on the day of pick up, that was with Audi Aberdeen. I had an a4 before that and picked that up on the 1st sept 2008, but paid that 2 weeks in advance due to the possible problems of the card machine being too busy on that day of pick up.

If the cars not even in the country, I would tell them to run and jump. What if somethings miss or damaged, they got ur car and money leaving u in limbo.

Reject there claim for early payment on that grounds

good luck

I have just spoke to Audi customer service and they have confirmed that Audi policy is pay on collection so that (along with your replies) has made my mind up, if he rings asking for payment the answer will be no chance!
Cheers everyone, now roll on collection day:yes:

Don't pay untill collection, if you pay the balance upfront and the dealer goes bust or into administration you could end up in a long line of people and companies waiting for their cash too. sounds like a firm with a cash flow problem....

I have no reason to believe that there is some dodgy deal going on as they seem quite respectable and established.

I never for one moment suggested there would be.:cool: