Wheel spin in 4th gear normal?

Chris128

Reaction score
Driving last night in the rain, I put my foot to the floor in 4th gear and the wheels started to loose grip and the ESP light on the dashboard came on - I've never experienced that in any other car but then I've never had a TDI before so I dont know if that is kind of normal? Going to check the tread on the tyres later today but it passed an MOT a few days ago so I would hope they still have enough on them... Anyone else get this or is it something I should be a bit worried about?

Its an A3 140 2.0 TDI btw

Cheers
Chris

Welcome to the site.

Its perfectly normal, dont worry about it, just a wet/greasy road at the time, as said maybe some leaves or oil.

Welcome to the world of Torque. :hubbahubba:

Driving last night in the rain, I put my foot to the floor in 4th gear and the wheels started to loose grip and the ESP light on the dashboard came on - I've never experienced that in any other car but then I've never had a TDI before so I dont know if that is kind of normal? Going to check the tread on the tyres later today but it passed an MOT a few days ago so I would hope they still have enough on them... Anyone else get this or is it something I should be a bit worried about?

Its an A3 140 2.0 TDI btw

Cheers
Chris

no idea! Only been driving the car for 2 or 3 days. I'm going to check the pressures this week so I'll see what tyres they actually are then as well. That reminds me actually, someone told me that tyres for the new A3 are a pain as you have to get specially designed tyres that only fit the A3, rather than just being able to get any old tyre that is the correct size - is there any truth in that?

no idea! Only been driving the car for 2 or 3 days. I'm going to check the pressures this week so I'll see what tyres they actually are then as well. That reminds me actually, someone told me that tyres for the new A3 are a pain as you have to get specially designed tyres that only fit the A3, rather than just being able to get any old tyre that is the correct size - is there any truth in that?
Nope ! Only some a8' came with metric sized alloys(500MM) wich had a very few tyre options and they were very expensive... Uless they are "run flat" tyres, they should be easy to source from local tyre shop.

Ah thats good to know :) thanks. What are the recommended tyres for A3s then? I had pirelli's all round on my last car but they were damn expensive...