Does the 1.6 FSI Engine code : BLP - Have they got a timing belt or chain ?? :S

AntDub

Reaction score
I sent my car in for a new timing belt / cam belt & water pump.. within 1 hour i had a call saying they couldnt do it because its the engine code BLP ? which uses a timing chain as a pose to a belt ?

Im still not convinced? Is it true ?

BLP ??

Anyone :( ?

I can indeed confirm with AutoData that it is indeed a chain, bit of a bumber about the problem :-(

belts are cheaper to change & quieter, chains are 'supposed' to last longer and need less maintanance.

hi i know this is a old thread but ive been having the same noise as mentioned in the mk5 link for the past 3 years of owning the car and what everybody on there is saying that the chain and tensioner needs replacing is this true ???

Its not impossible. We have noticed chains are stretching on various cars - micra/almera & 3 cylinder corsa's.

i have an audi mind not a jap crap bucket lol just kidding a few people have said it could be the chain stretching any idea how much it is to replace not labour just the parts
cheers
fran

The chains are also stretching on the 3.2s. There are a few guys on here that have had theirs changed, not a cheap job.