What's the cheapest power upgrade for 3.2 dsg !

granny87

Reaction score
hey im new to the audi scene and i must say i love it !

im 22 and didnt want to get anything over g18 insurance! so got an audi i, and from a zr160vvc to 3.2 sline is brilliant but mabey looking at power upgrades next summer ideas prices etc etc ?????

I am booked into a stage 1 remap tomorrow.....will let you know if its a worthwhile upgrade :)

I am booked into a stage 1 remap tomorrow.....will let you know if its a worthwhile upgrade :)

My brother has stage 1 on his R32, reckons its running 280bhp, I think he is bulling me, what do you reckon?

hey im new to the audi scene and i must say i love it !

im 22 and didnt want to get anything over g18 insurance! so got an audi i, and from a zr160vvc to 3.2 sline is brilliant but mabey looking at power upgrades next summer ideas prices etc etc ?????

Others may argue but, on the 3.2, HP is not cheap and I would say $75-100 USD per HP. To get anything worthwhile, save your money! That car needs an intake, chip, DP, high flow cat, exhaust, DSG flash and a new Haldex! Good luck but be happy with 225+ HP and save your money

Others may argue but, on the 3.2, HP is not cheap and I would say $75-100 USD per HP. To get anything worthwhile, save your money! That car needs an intake, chip, DP, high flow cat, exhaust, DSG flash and a new Haldex! Good luck but be happy with 225+ HP and save your money

totally disagree.....Your saying 18bhp chip remap will cost $1800...£1600..

sorry but i agree that after 300 bhp your looking at serious money for engine rework but their is plenty of scope to tidy up the mass production compromises for les than 100 a bhp.

totally disagree.....Your saying 18bhp chip remap will cost $1800...£1600..

sorry but i agree that after 300 bhp your looking at serious money for engine rework but their is plenty of scope to tidy up the mass production compromises for les than 100 a bhp.

Let's not get confused ! We should always talk whp not bhp! Tell me how much 18 whp would cost on a 3.2 and then show me the dyno!

The chip upgrades for the 3.2 is not about HP, which you won't encounter anyway unless unless you are revving near the redline. The 3.2 chip provides much more torque in the low to midrange of the engine's RPM bandwidth. This translates into more acceleration every time you stomp on the pedal so even if your boot is packed with bitter, you still have enough oomph to merge into the turnabout.

Let's not get confused ! We should always talk whp not bhp! Tell me how much 18 whp would cost on a 3.2 and then show me the dyno!

Are you saying that the dyno does not mesure WHP ? or are you talking about a bench dyno ?

The chip upgrades for the 3.2 is not about HP, which you won't encounter anyway unless unless you are revving near the redline. The 3.2 chip provides much more torque in the low to midrange of the engine's RPM bandwidth. This translates into more acceleration every time you stomp on the pedal so even if your boot is packed with bitter, you still have enough oomph to merge into the turnabout.

x2 . Maybe the op should define what he means by power upgrade.

No no boydie...thats an increase of 50 bhp on TC's 225 std !! that would cost £5000.00....:yes:

Trouble is you cant win because even if you produce a RR graph he will just say the RR needs calibrating. Power is power and whether it is an increase at the fly wheel/crank , after the gearbox, at the wheels, whether it is BHP,WHP,or torque is all relative.
What exactly are you saying ?
To lay down 1 extra WHP on the rollers will cost £100 ? does you £100 mean Audi prices ie: half an hour...or independent prices, 2 hours....
If i go from Tesco basic petrol to 99 octaine......that costs me £4 extra a tank.....
1 bhp per £100 is a silly statement IMHO

2.Oclock....getting cold feet now because its just so nice to drive as it is I would hate to mess it up..lol.. slightly bother about what moving the torque curve will do to the auto change on the DSG....

Hope to staz....

Sorry about last night mate. Too much vino plonk after bad news at the quacks...

Hope it's not serious mate.

I know where you were coming from and I appreciate showing support for others (I have landed myself in bad books many times for standing up for the lowly soldier before) but I think my intentions are sometimes misconstrued, misunderstood or over inflated.

It's a learning curve for me and if you or anyone else really do think I have made a mistake in my judgement then I genuinely do welcome criticism but via a friendly PM. If you put it in a thread in an agressive way then it just puts me on the backfoot immediately.

:friends:

Last edited:
They are unless the american ones are de-tuned?

Most likely. certainly their bikes are......I mean 70bhp out of a 1400cc Harley ???......lol
Lets face it, they get less power out of a 4.6 ltr Mustang than you get out of a 2 ltr maped S3

Last edited:
No no boydie...thats an increase of 50 bhp on TC's 225 std !! that would cost £5000.00....:yes:

Trouble is you cant win Power is power and whether it is an increase at the fly wheel/crank , after the gearbox, at the wheels, whether it is BHP,WHP,or torque is all relative.

This isn't about winning. bhp is cheap but whp is expensive. If you can't transfer all that bhp to the wheel then it's useless and a waste of money. Putting hp on a 2.0T is way cheaper than putting hp on a NA motor. If you look at Boydie's comment then chip, CAI, exhaust gives you 25 bhp but the average loss on a quattro is around 25% to the wheel. The estimated transfer is maybe 18 whp and that is likely overestimated. On this side of the pond, Milltek and Neuspeed are the usual exhausts placed on 3.2 and Milltek is used in the majority. That exhaust costs 1100 USD. THe usual chips are Unitronic, APR and Giac. THe APR chip is used in the majority of the applications because of the ease of programming via the CC stalk and the additional programming options. That chip costs 599 USD. The only CAI in California that is CARB emmisions compliant is Neuspeed which costs around 299 USD. The installation is usually around 100-160 USD per hour with around a 2 hour install time. So 1100+599+299+200=2198 for maybe 18 hp. This is the reason why most buyers choose the 2.0T option as their money is better spent and is the main reason why we are so frustrated with Audi for not giving us the S3 engine option. BTW, according to George at Fourtitude forums, the decision to not bring the S3 to the US was made by one and only one person at AoA. Respectfully yours, ......

I was told by AMD that when you have the stage 3 done on the 3.2 you will see better mid range and top end plus alot sharper throttle response.

Alot of money just for 40bhp £2300 or is it??????

AMD V6 3.2 STAGE 3

AmD developed sports cam shafts, Milltek cat back exhaust system & AmD custom remap. Due to us developing the cams it will not effect you emissions or idle. Please note on DSG equipped cars we will limit the torque produced to protect the gearbox

Up to + 40bhp and 40lbs/ft Exc. VAT - £2000.00 (Fitted)
Inc. VAT - £2300.00 (Fitted

sorry mate but the garage had a big computer problem so i am going back next friday. Did get 251bhp in std trim on the rollers before the tech problem.

Yea, pleased with that and i noticed the new calibration cert on the wall from Aug 09 said accurate to +/- 1%. I would expect an engine like mine to be nicely run in and lose by 40k so it will be interesting to see how it goes next week. As so many people chip the S3 and not many have had a before and after experience with a 3.2 i will do a little write up for here once i have the details....

According to their website:

A3
Engine type : 3.2
Fuel Type : Petrol

BHP increase : +18bhp
Lb.ft gain : +15lb.ft

I am still mulling over whether to buy an A3 3.2, they are quite a bit cheaper than a Mk5 R32 or GTi but too quiet as standard, let us know what you think of the Remus when it's fitted.

The gains in power and sound from a remap and exhaust may be subtle but could be enough to make the car more interesting.

Have any of you 3.2 owners owned or driven 8L S3s in the past? I was considering one of them but getting long in the tooth now and an N/A 3.2 seems like less hassle than fannying about with a higher mileage 1.8T with all the multitude of things than can go wrong on them.

Finding a Remus is proving very difficult ! Remus UK direct you to stockists but they don't actually seem to keep them.

Is there a reason why your not going to go with the Milltex exhaust mate

Noise basically Gary. I also was reading a thread on here about which exhaust was best and too many people had problems with baffles coming lose and the system banging on the floor on corners etc. Bear in mind the power gains will be minimal with a cat back exhaust so its all about noise and i want something crisp sporty and subtle but not booming on the motorway so it makes sense to keep my centre section.

Noise basically Gary. I also was reading a thread on here about which exhaust was best and too many people had problems with baffles coming lose and the system banging on the floor on corners etc. Bear in mind the power gains will be minimal with a cat back exhaust so its all about noise and i want something crisp sporty and subtle but not booming on the motorway so it makes sense to keep my centre section.

This is true from my experience of Milltek on a few cars, with a normally aspirated engine you are better off getting a top quality backbox (Remus, Supersprint) than a Milltek cat back. You want that top end V6 yowl without the drone and boom lower down.
I had a Milltek on a Mk4 Golf V6 4motion and it never really sounded to my taste.
On turbo cars Milltek tend to be less boomy.

Last edited:
This is the story i have been hearing, cheers Paul

Remus has a quality name in the motorcycle world and i always like to go with a name i know or have had experience with. I found a few stockists on the web so i will ring round and order one tomorrow. :yes:

Do Milltek & Remus do full systems or just the Cat back exhausts..

Just been on the Remus website and checked for my car and all that came up was the cat back exhaust....:readit:

Do people bother getting the full systems...Only on the AMD website for the Stages 2 or 3 they only do the Milltek cat back