Auto Lock Unlock Central Locking

MrLapou

Reaction score
Anyone buying a new A3 or any other Audi should consider having the central locking programmed so it locks the doors when speed reaches about 15 mph, then unlocks the doors when the key is removed from the ignition.
These features can only be done using a VAG PC software. If done after delivery, dealers have been known to charge up to £50 for this 2 min job.

My advice is to include any control features (ther are many more) such as these in the deal when buying the car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

And why should we consider such feature? What if in case of emergency it wouldn't work? What's the use of having those doors even locked, wind will close them if you accidentially open them.

Or do you have raiders that jump from busses when you drive on motorway?-)

- Yak

Not unknown in th UK for thieves to open a door to grab a mobile phone, womens purse or even drag the driver out to steal the car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

In a crash doors will auto unlock making it easier for the emergency services to gain access. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Perhaps life in Finland is much safer than the UK.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Yak - it's a good system.

They unlock when you remove the key from the ignition.
They unlock when you press the unlock button.
They unlock in a crash.

IF they don't then you just pull the handle twice.

There's not too much risk having them locked.

scoTTy, and it's a useless system as well. What's the point in having doors locked when you drive? Your reply didn't answer that, it only said that the system is worth nothing, since those "advantages" you can get without locking the car.

- Yak

It ain't a useless system at all.

the whole point of the system isn't to stop you accidentally opening the doors, it's to stop people on the outside trying to open your door.

when i drive into dodgy cities at night (no places mentioned!), i prefer to lock my door. what happenes if i didn't lock my doors and then someone approached my car at a set of lights?

How on earth is that a pointless system???

[ QUOTE ]
Yak said:
scoTTy, and it's a useless system as well. What's the point in having doors locked when you drive? Your reply didn't answer that, it only said that the system is worth nothing, since those "advantages" you can get without locking the car.

- Yak

[/ QUOTE ]

Yak, I think the answer you are looking for was answered in MrLapou's second post. We in the UK, and I'm sure other people in other parts of the world suffer from a form of car theft called 'carjacking'. This is when a carjacker comes up to your car when it's running, OPENS your door, and helps themselves to YOUR car with a little help from a baseball bat or a loaded gun of some sort etc... So we tend to lock our cars on the move, which is why this auto-locking feature is put to use. Hope that answers your question.

Joe

The auto-locking is a security feature. If you don't need it where you live then that's great - don't activate it but that doesn't mean it's a useless option for the vaste majority of owners.

Agree with Scotty; Have it enabled on the A4 and the A3; Excellent feature well worth having.

Stops any possibility of jumping in the back (in the A4) or piniching off the passenger seat on the A3 and A4.
Its really not obtusive and unlocks when you pop the key out of the ignition too.

My main dealer did this for free.