Audi extended warranty - is it worth it?

maars

Full speed ahead
Reaction score
So, my A3 Sportback is coming up for three years old, and Audi sent me a letter asking if I wanted to extend the warranty/roadside assistance.

Has anyone done this? How much does it cost? And is it worth it?

Audi quoted me £1200 per year. I declined!

They said that was because of engine capacity so yours maybe cheaper.

You do have to watch out for things that are not included though as they offen are not as complete as the original.

I never buy warranties....The only reason Audi offer them is because they make a fortune out of them.
that says it all.

£1200??? goodness me!

I am very tempted for an extended warrenty as a mate of mine has had to have a steering rack, timing belt, water pump and clutch replaced under warrenty with a lot more miles on the clocks than mine!!

Try warranty direct for a quote .They cover most things except brake pads ,cluthplates etc . cover seems very comprehensive .
I'm going for it after christmas after paying over £1000 for new air con compressor. Hate to think of anything major going wrong and having to fork out .
There's some horror stories on here, crankshafts ,oil pumps etc your talking mega dosh !!

Yes it's like anything, your likely to be throwing your money down the drain but you could be saving a fortune!

Got quoted from warrenty direct:

Luxurry Care Policy (which to me offers you feck all but could be wrong) - £577 plus a month free so 13 months

Major Care Policy (which covers the majority of all mechanical parts) - £379 plus a month free so 13 months

I am just in two minds - hate paying for things like insurance because most of the time you never need them :( just one of those things, it will happen if you dont have the cover!

Do the Audi extended warranties offer the same level of warranty as the original? e.g. everything but serviceable items like brake pads, discs, filters and cambelt are covered. Plus if something needs investigating I wouldn't want to be footing the bill. Just want to drop the car off and not have to worry about paying like I do at present, no matter how small the problem is!

Maybe worth it if you knew that you could take it for MOT and as long as the tyres were ok anything else it failed on would be covered under warranty.

I think my Dad paid about £300 for an extra year on his MK5 Golf 2.0TDI direct from VW. Never had to use it though

I don't think the cover is as good.

I think £1200 is a bit excessive, have you got a price for you specific vehicle?

That luxurry care cover is the best cover have a look at the policy document it more or less covers everything .
Icant get that as my car's 5 years old .

I have mine covered under a Tesco Finest warranty at just over £400. It covers pretty much everything, has unlimited claims value and includes mot cover. It does come well recommended but then I haven't had to make a claim yet.

I went for a cheapo option as my car is 5 years old and is only a 2.0 FSI sport. I bought an AA mechanical breakdown warranty for £69 on top of my AA memembership which covers most items up to £500 per claim and 5 times allowed per year which for the type of car i have is more than adequate

Just looked at the Tesco warranty site and it's not available to any new customers !!!!!

Yeah you're right, it say's "existing customers unaffected"...........So does that mean you're covered until you try and claim:shrug:.

Yes think I read that that product was abit of a crap deal for Tesco

Just a tip, I contacted Warranty Direct at the begining of the year re my girlfriends Cooper S 55 plate (not audi I know).

I did the online quote with was about £50 cheaper than the £500 BMW wanted.

After a week WD contacted me and offered it MUCH cheaper and slightly better cover.

I managed over a further week to haggle the top cover, limitless policy, using dealers instead of WD's approved garages with an hourly rate of £110.

I think in the end it came to £320... I also bounced them off the Tesco policy as a comparision they caved in.

If the Tesco inst happening anymore then might need to find someone else to compare/price match them with.

Do the Audi extended warranties offer the same level of warranty as the original? e.g. everything but serviceable items like brake pads, discs, filters and cambelt are covered.

Matt,
I think the level of cover is the same. I've never had any trouble with past warranty claims using the Audi extended warranty. Just had my cylinder head replaced, they also found that the air con compressor needed replacing. Total cost, paid for by the warranty was just under £2400.
When the car has been in for a service in the past, the dealer has even offered to replace the glove box damper under warranty.

Does any member have any more news on warranties as this thread seems to be a few years old now

The audi extended warranty covers mechanical failure of a component. It will not cover wear and tear items (brakes, c/belts or clutches as an example) it will not cover trims (or items classed as trims) or rattles.

The non dealer warranties usually have preferred repairers (not dealers) and will have an hourly rate cap with you paying the remainder. Some will also want you to cover the repair cost and they will reimburse you directly. Also these are similar to manufacturers extended warranties in that they are usually (done on a case by case basis) only cover mechanical failure of a component.

However they can still be very useful IF something major failed.

Hope that helps?

Just to add extended warranties are not the same as 3 year manufacturer warranty.