2.0t Quattro Spongy brakes

Phase

A3 2.0T Quattro
Reaction score
Hi All,
Just bought a s/h 2.0T Quattro, but have noticed the brakes are very spongy and soft.

I have had the master cylinder and fluid replaced, but they feel the same - especially when braking under force.

Has anyone else experienced the same? Is this normal for the OEM setup?

I have to say I'm very disapointed. I also have an E46 BMW and the brakes on that are great. I thought the A3 would be better for such a high-performance car.

Any thoughts / ideas / experiences please?

Thanks.

It's not really a 'performance car' though in all honesty.

I've never been impressed with the brakes on mine. They're poor i agree.

Apart from a tendency to overheat a bit in extreme conditions I find the brakes on my 2006 2.0t Quattro to be very good, not spongy at all.

Compared to other similar priced cars (mine was 27k new) there's no getting away from the fact the brakes are one of the worst aspects of the car.
I love most other things about it so it's not a deal breaker.

Hi All,
Just bought a s/h 2.0T Quattro, but have noticed the brakes are very spongy and soft.

I have had the master cylinder and fluid replaced, but they feel the same - especially when braking under force.

Has anyone else experienced the same? Is this normal for the OEM setup?

I have to say I'm very disapointed. I also have an E46 BMW and the brakes on that are great. I thought the A3 would be better for such a high-performance car.

Any thoughts / ideas / experiences please?

Thanks.

I agree, my Boxster's brakes were fantastic for feel and bite, yet the A3's initial bite is over servo'd and then there is little feel through the rest of the pedal travel meaning I've had to stand on them a few times.

You could consider upgrading to the S3/R32/Cupra set up.

I've been recommended Ferrodo front pads and pagid rears on the stock discs so may give that a go before progressing onto more serious mods.