.,please help ..vibration A3 sportback

10blazin

HYPERDRIVE NEEDED
Reaction score
Hi guy's i was going up the motorway the other day and between 60 and 80 mph i hear and feel a vibration noise its only very slight through the steering wheel . but you can here a thudding noise doh doh doh doh it Gets faster as i go to 80 ...

At first i though it must be a ****** bent wheel but Ive had all the wheels took of and balanced they were all spot on with no buckle's damn !!!

So to day i took it quick fit and told him the problem he said it could be my transmission but no warning lights come on the dash Ive not hit anything so how could this be ...

I'm looking to take it into Audi this week I'm still under warranty so hopefully it should be mechanical failure does anyone have any idea's on what it could be ...

Its like a thudding noise and there's cv grease in the wheel could the cv joint going do this ..???

Could be a traction rod end also, best thing is to get it into audi while its still under warranty!

Its like a thudding noise and there's cv grease in the wheel could the cv joint going do this ..???

Yes. If the rubber boot has split and all the grease has come out then the CV joint could be damaged. It would throw grease everywhere.

Yeah there has been some grease thrown about and one garage has already said just by looking at it , That its the cv joint .

But could this cause the thudding noise and would this be covered under audi warrenty because they seem to just try and get out of everything , ive already forked out for a new battery because the ipod lead they fitted drained the battery to its death and they just said take it up with derby audi ...

So am i best taking this to audi as it is mechanical failure isnt it , Or will they chat crap and it will cost me about 400 quid or am i bet going to a small garage somewhere and letting them do it ...

It does sound like the CV joint. Did you put the H&R's on? If so they could argue that it was damaged at that point so I would tread carefully.

If the joint has gone dry of grease you will feel it through the steering as the bearings in the CV joint destroy themselves. When was it last MOT'd? A split or insecure boot is a failure. I'd take it to them & see what they say, if they refuse to warrent it I'd take car else where to get done as any garage could do it.

As a rough idea :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-A3-2003-ON-OUTER-CV-JOINT-NEW_W0QQitemZ170403690446QQcategoryZ10372QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BIEW%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D11%26ps%3D63

plus no more that 2hrs labour at the most.

If you have the tools (32mm socket?), balljoint splitter & socket set you can save yourself some money.

I just wish i could fit it id be under the ramp in a shot ...Thanks guy's il try audi if they argue the toss il have to go to a garage ...

well i took my car to audi because of the vibration i was getting at 70 mph ..... from another garage they have said it was the cv joint...

I took it to audi they have had it for 2 days and told me the same thing as the garage that took 38 seconds to know what was up with the car ..its took audi 2 days to know evn after i told the, it was the cv joint ...

Now audi is saying one cv joint is snapt and one cv rubber is splitt and they tell me its not under warrentee why bother wit warrentee when anything that brakes they say its ware and tare ......

For one il never own an audi again , its like our car it fecking cursed for some reason ...

What is ware and tare ???? can you tell me because surely everything is where and tare ??

Where do i stand ???

Last edited: