Anti tune measures in MY10 Audi's??

smbAudi

Reaction score
Guys,

Sent an email to superchips last week asking if I would be able to reset a friends Bluefin unit to use on my A3 1.9TDIe Sport MY10...part of the response was saying that they are aware of some MY10 Audi's having anti tune measures in them and that they cannot tell which ones until I actually try modifying it....

Is anyone else aware of this or are they just fishing for info about the bluefin console as this email would lead them into thinking I would not be paying for a brand new bluefin...

Not heard of it but I wouldn't be surprised if they're a little anti the Bluefin handsets being passed about.

Apparently AMD Essex have come across this situation also though they have advised that it is a low probability. It doesn't tend to be model specific by the sounds either.

Sounds like I have to be careful so when the cash is hopefully available at the end of this months I will make a few calls...

If your car does have the anti theft why not offer it up to Superchips for development so they can crack the coding, you would probably get the map for free then, always worth asking

Yes, this is true. There is tuning protection on some EDC17 diesel ECUs and also some MED17 petrol ECUs. It is true that you don't know without checking the actual ECU, it's not car or even ECU number/part number specific.

Sounds like a crap idea..... Surely Audi must realise people don't want this, why even bother.

What's next.... bonnets that can only be opened by Audi techinicians?

Sounds like a crap idea..... Surely Audi must realise people don't want this, why even bother.

What's next.... bonnets that can only be opened by Audi techinicians?

It could be an EU requirement to stop individuals changing the settings than were there went the Type Approval was given.

I don't know, but it does seem more likely than Audi doing it just for the sake of it!

The situation is that Bosch who make the ECU's every few years change the encryption algorithms in the ECU to stop tuners changing the maps, its standard practice every so often, the tuners then have the break the encryption to be able to tune. Once they have done it it's ok for a while, this is nothing new. I know someone who bought bluefin for a 2010 A4 3ltr TDI, it failed once the new code map had been loaded into the car, we called them, they explained how to put the car back to standard and got a refund, once they have brocken the encrption they will send a email and re-sell the bluefin. As i said, this is nothing new, happens every so often, some cars have new code others not, i have a 2010 A3 and it worked ok, they cannot tell till you try to write it into the car. But then its easy to put back to standard and you get a refund. The new code/ECU is mainly on A4's at the moment, spreading into A3's slowly

Interesting

Is this Bluefin specific? or for all software tuning companies? Im picking up my new S3 in a few weeks and was planning REVO stage 1 pretty much straight away, hope this doesnt happen, im presuming the tuning companies will always be able the crack the encryption code?

Thanks

this applies to all companies, i am not sure if they share the method of decrpytion but everyone will have to solve it to map the new Bosch ECU. From what i hear Superchips crack it themselves, however, not sure if this means waiting/paying a tech from the net to do it, or maybe one person sells the crack to all companies, dunno, either way they cannot do it for the moment, i heard that Superchips said it will take upto 6 months to break. In fairness to them, i also heard it is high level security encryption, which i know from experience is not simple to break.

Last edited: