Anyone test driven the new 2.0T fsi quattro?

AndyMac

Retired from service
Reaction score
Finally Audi seem to have got a decent replacement for the 1.8T engine without the emissions of a v6. 7.1 secs to 60 is none too shabby. A bit wierd it's only availble in the sportback.

The 2.0T FSI will also be available in front wheel drive and quattro versions for the 3 door A3. Both versions will only be available in Sport trim. Check with your Audi dealer when these will be available.

The 3-door versions should have been available for September deliveries but when I spoke to Customer Services a couple of weeks ago there was no firm date for production start so don't expect before early 2005

Where did this this info come from, I was in the dealers yesterday enquiring about the 2.0T Quattro and they had no info /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Spoke to HR Owen Audi today, [censored] service btw but thats a diff topic...

Guy had no idea when it was coming, i said "Early 2005" he said "...hmmm yer i think probably" I asked 2.0 TFSi in a 3dr A3 and also A4?" he said "...don't know, maybe" Useless imo.

Its ****** obvious the 1.8T is being phased out so its WHEN not IF the 2.0TFSI will be available for the A3 3dr and the A4 and MAYBE the A6 and I would hazzard a guess the TT when it gets reworked.

Check out the attached document with Audi 2005 model year changes, it says about the dates for the T FSI for the 3-door A3 etc..

I spoke to Audi customer services and they said there had been delays on the introduction of the engine into the 3-door A3 and it won't be available until 2005. I think a lot of the delays with Audi stems from the fact they have brought forward the A4 mid-life update forward by nearly a year so it'll hit late 2004 to beat the new BMW 3-Series onto the market.

Audi Amersham offers some test drive of the sportback 2.0 Turbo FSI on thursday evening
Sales department should come back to me soon to confirm if it is ok then I'll try to tell you what I thought of it

yes, same engine as the new GTI and will probably appear in a lot of other new cars, just think of how many 1.8T engined cars there is in the VAG group!

About time. I thought they were gonna force everyone to go V6 which would screw up their company car sales cause of the emissions.

When is the TDI quattro out in the 3dr H/B? Whats the power output? Rumour is 160-180Bhp?

update: Am booked for friday morning at 11.30
will let you know

Excerpt from 2005 Model Guide....

New models to be introduced during 2005 Model Year:-
• 2.0T FSI quattro Sport (200PS) manual
• 2.0T FSI front Sport (200PS) DSG
• 2.0TDI quattro (140PS) manual – available in Standard, SE and Sport

All models have planned start of production from August 2004 with customer deliveries from
September. Timings, pricing and technical details will be communicated when finalised.

Yeah right... See my earlier post and you'll see that you won't see these new models before Q1 2005 at the earliest due to the concentration on the new A4 (B7) release at the end of this year.

160-180bhp /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

no there is talk of a 160 in the pipeline, think about it VW had the 130 and 150 PD golfs, so it seems logical that a 140 and 160 would be the natural evolution.

That said 180 would be far nicer, maybe even the 3.0 TDI out of the a6 and new a4 mmmm 204bhp

Well that said there was an article in Auto Express a couple of weeks aga to say that VW had a 220bhp version of the 2.0 TDI in a Caddy Van and even had the pictures to prove it.

My point was to say that nothing is planned for the 2005 model year so don't expect to see any before the second half of 2005 at the very earliest.

yes, your probably right about the introduction times. The Caddy you are talking about is 240bhp and has exactly the same internals as the standard 2.0TDI.

Differences are only a higher spec turbo, larger intercooler, remap and larger injectors. Just goes to show that the 2.0 lump can produce some fantastic power figures. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Also, reading Autoexpress tonight; the new A4 will have 'variants' of the 2.0TDI unit....

Hmmmmm I think this proves our case /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Right so That test drive: Well did not happen:(
Got there, looked at the back of the car and seen only "2.0"
Said "should it not have a "T" on it to indicate the turbo?"
Answered: "Oh yeah that's right, you wanted to drive the turbo!"/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif
What a start!
They will only receive it in October.

The guy I talked to was a very nice chap actually so rather than just being [censored] off and go home I said I did not want to drive the 2.0l (just the turbo version please) but would look at the car. So I'll only comment on the shell

What strikes me the most is that if it was called an A4 it would not surprise me. It is a much bigger looking car than the 3 door. Something in the proportion is just not right yet but I think with the right touch (wheels, body kit...) it will grow on me
Space is good in the back seat and boot is a little bit longer but not by much at all.
I have to say that this massive front grill makes a very big impression and I like it. I even asked if it could be mounted on the 3 door. The answer was probably as the 3 door will have it very soon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif but that would cost a lot of money like a grand.
That lead me to other questions : S3 and RS3?
S3 is definite for him end of 2005 - I only write what I have been told so dont kill me with this ok? - 3.2 l with a turbo in 3 door version only
RS3 maybe 3.2 bi-turbo around 350bhp in sport back version only and expect about 40k

It's amazing all the different stories flying around...

My perspective...

The S3 will be available in 2005 but with a NA version of the 3.2 V6 FSI pumping out 280bhp and will likely be in both 3-door and 5-door forms. Any more power (i.e. turbo) and it would p1ss on the S4 so I think it is dreamland. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

The RS3 is going to be available in both bodyshells, at least I hope, as over my dead body will my already placed deposit go on the 5-door. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif

Still expect bi-turbo in the RS3 but power outputs will be in the 350-380bhp range based on the rumour mill. Still don't hurry as not likely before 2006.

As for prices here is my two penny's worth:

S3 £28K
RS3 £33K

But of course will see...

I really don't have a clue of what engine they'll get.
I don't know anyone who is even sure there will be any RS3 or S3 for that matter
if any of these are maufactured they will be good to drive anyway, tuned, turbo or bi-turbo
For the tuned version, Ijust wonder what would they tune? I thought the block of the A3 was already a tuned version of the one from the R32?
However bodyshell's wise, I can see the logic in the S3 in 3 doors and the RS3 in 5
Price range I would add a couple of grand on the RS3 if not there is not enough difference between the 2.