WET PASSENGER FOOTWELL

wickyianr1

Reaction score
hi peeps just been to the lake district this weekend very wet,got home and noticed the passenger footwell carpet is wet any clues 06 a3 3.2 what a beast.:lmfao:

Where abouts mate, please don;t say driver side rear passenger footwell

If it's not there then open the bonnet and check for leaves and blocked drain hols at the bottom of the windscreen. I had this once in a previous A3 and drained inside eventually. I am now getting my existing S3 replaced due to a water leak in the rear which cannot be fixed.

David

Where abouts mate, please don;t say driver side rear passenger footwell

If it's not there then open the bonnet and check for leaves and blocked drain hols at the bottom of the windscreen. I had this once in a previous A3 and drained inside eventually. I am now getting my existing S3 replaced due to a water leak in the rear which cannot be fixed.

David
cheers dave its wet front passenger footwell had the car a few weeks now very pleased goes like stink i have cleared all the leaves im in the process of drying the carpet out mind you it was really wet in the lakes

My dads 06 A3 sportback does exactly the same thing Ao your not alone. I read up on the issue for him and got back the answer that DaveS3 has given you.

Funny thing is, when he took it too Audi they said it was a missing bulkhead grommet.

My best advice is dry as much up with a folded towel by standing on the towel when its on the footwell carpet and then get a dehumidifer in there. Sorted dads a trick.

I don't know specifically about the A3, but I've seen this in a few cars before and it's a common sign of the heater exchange unit leaking behind the dashboard, should be able to tell if the water has antifreeze in it.

Who did you have in the passenger seat and how fast were you going ? :Flush:

Who did you have in the passenger seat and how fast were you going ? :Flush:
only the misses wasnt going very fast the roads were bad wet and full of leaves

Keep an eye on it, it could have been overflow or to much water in the channels or something like that.

David

Just discovered a wet patch in the passenger footwell under the carpet, towards the front after some heavy rain.
Guess I need to look for the blockage hope it's not the heater matrix, the water didn't smell of chemicals at all.

I had the same problem on my 2003 A6 Avant, after heavy rain drove up a hill from work and loads of water poured into front passenger footwell and I could hear water sloshing about behind dashboard. Rather than take car to Audi for another expensive fix I did some background work on the internet, found this great You Tube video posted in the States which solved the problem! Basically as you say it's water stuck in the bulkhead due to a blocked grommet, easy job to fix, see 1999 Audi A6 Water Leak DIY Tutorial - YouTube
Couple of things to bear in mind as the battery is disconnected:-
* You will need the radio code and procedure for entering it as radio goes into "safe" mode when battery re-connected or there will be all sorts of issues getting it to work. My dealership wanted me to book car in so they could re-code it!
* Don't know if this applies to petrol as well, but after re-connecting battery you need to turn ignition key to ignition on (so dashboard lights come on but you haven't started engine) for 2 seconds.
* Once touch electric windows won't work. To fix, press switch to take window down a bit, then put window fully up and hold switch in up position for 1-2 seconds.

Now if I could just get the alarm to stop going off.....