How to access and remove 3rd brake light?

Danny Scott

Reaction score
Got a problem with my 3rd brake light on the A3, wanna take off the cowling which covers it and have a look but cant for the life of me work out how to do it?

I think you might have to remove the boot trim surround the rear window. The may also be 2-4 bolts holding the spoiler onto the boot lid at either end.

Got a problem with my 3rd brake light on the A3, wanna take off the cowling which covers it and have a look but cant for the life of me work out how to do it?

I can give you copies to the necessary Elsawin workshop manual pages. Is your A3 a 3-door or a Sportback because there are different pages for each model.

Thanks, this was very helpful.

My A3 has the spoiler and instead of the metal clips there are just 2 torx screws holding the brake light in.

I broke a clip on the back trim along the window while removing - guess it wasn't warm enough. After that I found that I could reach in a flat screwdriver to pry the metal clips out from the openings in the body panel rather than just pulling on the trim. (note that the trim along the window pulls in toward the center of the window rather than straight out away from the window)

I can give you copies to the necessary Elsawin workshop manual pages. Is your A3 a 3-door or a Sportback because there are different pages for each model.
Hi!
Doy have the PDF for a 5 door Sportback ?
Need to see whats wrong with mine ...

it's the same for both, open the lid, the plastic trim (lower) is holding with 2 t25 screws so you need to unscrew them, then pull downwards (on open lid), you will need a bit of force, best technique is to stat from one corner, after pulling it out, pull out in same way upper surrounding (check if there are screws near junction with lower trim, as don't remember) then pull it downwards as well and voila' you get to 3rd light, to undo it it was holding on 2 plastic pins so flat screwdriver and take it out.

Reactions: gpecurto
Hey guys,
I just got this car. 2004 8P A3 3 door. Im trying to replace my third brakelight, but the descriptions im seeing in the forum are different from what I have... i think. Ive been trying to get it out but i feel like im just destroying the car... ive attached a photo

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210218-212752_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210218-212752_Gallery.jpg
    399.1 KB · Views: 139