S3 - what oil does come with?

Simonc6875

Reaction score
Picked up new s3 from dealership last Friday, and during handover I question the salesman what make of oil is used in the engine when it comes from the factory. He admitted he didn't know but just said fully sythnetic. Does anyone know the make of oil it comes with in the engine? just so I can top it up with the same.

Do a search. There is a VERY specific list of approved oils which are used. The factory might use anything on the list, but the oils are all exceptionally good oils and meet a rather strict and stringent set of requirements.

Use any oil on the list and be happy.

Keith

Castrol EDGE 5W-30 for modern engines. Try Opie.co.uk as they are cheap and you get a 10% forum discount from your ASN membership.

Just make sure it has the conformity numbers on it which off the top of my head are:

VW 50 400
VW 50 700

With the VW prefix you can buy compatible stuff from any VAG dealership if you are stuck, but there are plenty of cheaper places.

I don't know that you should have too many topping up issues though as mine has been incredibly light on oil.

EDIT: So nice that they took the trouble to open the handbook and point out where this information is held, or even ask someone from the Service Dept. :rolleyes:

Last edited: