Chris NottEM Tuning
    Reverse Gear

Status

S3 - what oil does come with?

Picked up new s3 from dealership last Friday, and during handover I question the salesman what make of oil is used in the engine when it comes from the factory. He admitted he didn't know but just said fully sythnetic. Does anyone know the make of oil it comes with in the engine? just so I can top it up with the same.

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    Do a search. There is a VERY specific list of approved oils which are used. The factory might use anything on the list, but the oils are all exceptionally good oils and meet a rather strict and stringent set of requirements.

Use any oil on the list and be happy.

Keith

AUSmotive.com

Status
    I think VAG currently holds a contract with Castrol, so at a guess, it is probably something like SLX Professional Longlife III Powerflow 5W-30.
    AUSmotive.com // AUSringers.com

AUDI: MY10 S3 (8P3) / Nav+AMI / Sunroof / Blackout Grille / RS6 FBMFSW / PSS10s / Milltek TBE / APR HPFP / APR Stage 2+ tune
    VOLKSWAGEN: 1980 Mk1 Golf GTI

4th Gear

Status
    Castrol EDGE 5W-30 for modern engines. Try Opie.co.uk as they are cheap and you get a 10% forum discount from your ASN membership.

Just make sure it has the conformity numbers on it which off the top of my head are:

VW 50 400
    VW 50 700

With the VW prefix you can buy compatible stuff from any VAG dealership if you are stuck, but there are plenty of cheaper places.

I don't know that you should have too many topping up issues though as mine has been incredibly light on oil.

EDIT: So nice that they took the trouble to open the handbook and point out where this information is held, or even ask someone from the Service Dept.
    Last edited by AuldReekie; 9th November 2009 at 09:11.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Cheers for the replies