S3 8P: Big Brake Conversion?

AJames

Rally Driver - road Audi S3-8P
Reaction score
Website
www.thisisdriving.com
Hello,
as you all might know by now, I do ask a lot from the poor S3, and the composite front brake disks and Pagid yellow's all round aren't enough.
I am suffering from Huge disk vibration when the system is hot, mainly attributed to the fact the Oem sliding front calipers do not guarantee a constant contact patch between disk and pads.
Result: the system fades and the braking power is nowhere near what I am looking for.

I have been looking in to upgrading the front brake assembly with new calipers, disks and lines, while keeping 18's. I have assessed the following:
- Brembo kit
- Audi RS4 kit
- Audi TT-RS kit

It seems that nobody is sure about the measurements and clearance, so I am asking you, out there, can you help me out?
Below, my clearance table:

Last edited:
can you try linking the pic again, its not working, cheers.

You sound like a heavy braker! Maybe the car needs to loose some weight LOL

It gets hard when you lap with 430 Scuderia's, like today, LOL
I am used to racecars...

wheelmeasurements.jpg

Last edited:
where you at again, Milan?

I'm over in Venezia.

I have a Porsche 996 Turbo setup on the front with 350mm discs and custom carriers. It's certainly a little better than the 312s! Still fits under 18s but spacers were required with my CH026s, perhaps a wheel with ET35-38 or so would be OK without the spacers.

Another option is R8 rear 4-pot calipers over R32 345mm discs. Again spacers required due to the size of the caliper.

NO way, great! Yes, I live here in Milan!! Great, we have another trackday on the 21st, why don't you come?

Need to get my remap upgraded now to custom mate as I fitted the hybrid turbo, needs more power for my derv, I'd be like a golf cart round that course against you boys, lmfao

I have a Porsche 996 Turbo setup on the front with 350mm discs and custom carriers. It's certainly a little better than the 312s! Still fits under 18s but spacers were required with my CH026s, perhaps a wheel with ET35-38 or so would be OK without the spacers.

Another option is R8 rear 4-pot calipers over R32 345mm discs. Again spacers required due to the size of the caliper.

Who made your carriers Ben?

I find if you really sqeeze the steering wheel hard on the straights its worth another 5 mph if that helps Nige ?:drag:

Last edited:
When i fitted the RS4 brakes on my A3 i needed 20mm spacers to clear the alloys which screws everything up. The RS4 brakes are very heavy and the calipers are very wide. Get some brakes with aluminium calipers like AP,Hi Spec, K Sport etc.

Every big brake kit looks good but they are bought to stop the car. I like AP brakes the most myself.

How about XYZ kits? They are fairly priced but have no feedback on their quality

I wouldn't know. Coming from the races, I usually tend to stay away from those that do not prove their products/know how on the official race grounds... :ermm:

They sponsor the Alfa Romeo team at WTCC. Still, I would rather hear real user reviews over their racing pedigree :confused: But if money is not an issue, someone should definitely go for a more expensive and popular kit IMO.

How about XYZ kits? They are fairly priced but have no feedback on their quality

Hey GConn,

Funnily that you mention this, but there is alot of buzz about these over on the vxr forum. My brother has a Corsa VXR and he's considering these in 2010, their 6 pot kit with braided lines works out to be about £1k which is good going. 1 Irish guy on there with a 400BHP Astra VXR has them on his car and raves about them....

They sponsor the Alfa Romeo team at WTCC. Still, I would rather hear real user reviews over their racing pedigree :confused:

I don't argue these could be great brakes, but brakes are a real important thing, and I don't wish taking chances. That a company proves it product on the competitive race fields demonstrates their R&D is working to the highest standards, and that they have all the latest production machinery to produce their parts with.
On the other hand, user reviews are interesting, but due to the usually low engineering and mechanical grade of preparation normal people have, they could be misleading.
Nothing personal, this is just my view. I remeber myself before I turned professional driver: I thought I new all the lessons. Now, after 5 years of national level racing (and winning), I am constantly putting myself in discussion, because there is always more to be learnt.

@AJames

I wouldn't disagree with that, your first post was clear mate :) Just adding another perspective to look at any kit, since people usually rush into forums to publish their problems and bad experiences they had with a product :thumbsup:

I should have some news on this within the next couple of weeks, AP racing had my car back in July in order to measure up and develop a 6 pot kit for the S3, should go into production sometime this week, they do think a minimum 3 mm spacer will be needed to clear the Oem wheels but will no more when they tray and fit the kit, I've bought some 10 mm hub centric just in case.

Have you considered Cayenne 18" calipers and MB GL450 350mm discs?

I prefer the idea of a plug and play plus AP have an excellent reputation for making some of the best brakes, I will have all the back up required and a healthy discount for helping out, its the patience thing I'm not so good at :)

Thats a fantastic deal and worth every penny especially due to no spacers required.

I wonder how long until the price rises in relation to demand as per the rS4 set up.

Very oem , like it a lot.

Nate PM sent

Could you fit 380mm rs6 brake rotors on the s3 8p? I already have 19 inch rims and extra clearance. Would I also need to change the Calipers?