VW R range where does it leave the S3

A4CAB

Reaction score
With the new Scirocco using the S3 engine with FWD and tge Golf R using the same engine with 4WD costing more than the S3 by nearly £3k, where does this leave the S3.

I presume with the new A3 coing out next year they will simply stop making the S3 very soon so dont care about brand overlap ? Or maybe they will boost the output to 300bhp but then I guess the TTRS output looks less impressive ?

I don't understand it myself.

The Golf R is nearly 3k more as you say, and it's £1700 extra for leather seats which are standard on the S3!

I can't really see it selling, the R32 was always a bit cheaper than the S3 so I'm not sure why the R isn't.

Of course it could be down to the pound vs euro, in which case a new S3 on the new A3 platform will be even more expensive!

Somebody priced up a Golf R with leather, Sat Nav etc and got to over 40k!

Madness!

I think its absolutely hilarious, all that money for a Golf I heard about this a few days ago and its still giving me no end of laughs

Anyone with half a brain would go for the S3

I would say it opens up the market for a RS3, by making the VW "R" quite expensive it lessens the blow for a insanely expensive RS3. For instance, what is the price difference between the TTS and the TTRS, i would expect a similar price rise for the S3 to RS3. We have to start thinking about the relationship between the cars. The GTI was a cheap S3 and i persume the VWR is a cheap RS3.

Then again, maybe im wrong and VW/Audi are insane... i highly doubt it though.

Last edited:
I dont suppose it really matters with the talk of the RS3 Audi will still have the range topping model on that platform.

Lets not forget, that Audi are not really in competition with VW, the money all goes into the same pockets at the end of the day.

It's interesting that the Golf R is more expensive in the UK. Pricing in Australia hasn't been confirmed yet, but list pricing for an S3 coupe manual is around AU$66,500 and most are guessing the Golf R will start at around AU$59,900 which is about the same as the R32 was priced. (For reference the Mk6 GTI starts at around AU$40,000.)

There's no way Volkswagen could sell the R here if it is priced the same as the S3. VW have done really well locally in the last few years, mostly on the back of the Mk5, but there's still quite a large (perceived) step in brand worth in favour of Audi, I would say even more so than the UK.

Didn’t VAG do this with the old 1.8T engine where it got fitted Seat Leon Cupra R (225ps), when originally it was only found in the original TT and S3.

Seeing that the 8P is being replaced within the next two years I don’t think they really care if they loose a couple of sales due to using the same engine cross brands.

Also I think the next S3 will be introduced 3 years after the new A3 is on the market to co inside with the new A3's mid life refresh, most probably with the engine from the current RS TT.

I expect this is partly ambitious pricing from VW and partly due to the model life-cycle age of the S3.

The essential component ingredients and low-volume assembly costs of the Golf R will be similar to an S3, so I can't see any rationale here for the higher cost.

More likely IMO is Audi not inflating the price of the S3 (as opposed to VW pricing the Golf R above the S3). The S3 is 3 years into its life and likely to still be a tidy earner for Audi UK; the Golf R is its most obvious competitor yet and they know it!

Didn’t VAG do this with the old 1.8T engine where it got fitted Seat Leon Cupra R (225ps), when originally it was only found in the original TT and S3.

They did, but the Leon didn't cost more than the S3!

Also I think the next S3 will be introduced 3 years after the new A3 is on the market to co inside with the new A3's mid life refresh, most probably with the engine from the current RS TT.

It really would be a cop out, to use the current TT-RS in an RS3 five/six years from now.

I expect this is partly ambitious pricing from VW and partly due to the model life-cycle age of the S3.

The essential component ingredients and low-volume assembly costs of the Golf R will be similar to an S3, so I can't see any rationale here for the higher cost.

More likely IMO is Audi not inflating the price of the S3 (as opposed to VW pricing the Golf R above the S3). The S3 is 3 years into its life and likely to still be a tidy earner for Audi UK; the Golf R is its most obvious competitor yet and they know it!

Probably right, just specced a golf R up to the same spec as my current S3 order and it's over 3k more. The fact that i got a sizeable discount on the S3 that you're unlikely to get on a Golf R at present means the Golf is 7k more......................stupid!!