Sky InsuranceEM Tuning
    5th Gear

Status

Rattle from rear of car (been told maybe coilovers?)

Hi All,

For those who remember, I had a thread going a while back about a 'metal' rattle sound coming from the rear of my 09 A3. It seems to happen when going quite slow (30 or less, sometimes 40) on bumpy roads, but it also happens occasionally when it's not so bumpy, and it NEVER happens when I'm trying to show it someone lol. I think it's inside the car but I'm not sure...

Basically, I've pretty much checked everything and I don't think it's the seats or anything like that, although I've convinced myself plenty of times it could have been. I have Weitec coilovers and Eibach ARB's fitted, and I'd read on here that NHN had a prob with the Eibach rear roll bar knocking. I took the car to a local garage today to check out the ARB and they said it was fine, plenty of room and no signs of it knocking on anything and they advised that it's probably the coilovers rattling as that happens sometimes. Something to do with the spring and what it's seated on both being metal - and they charged me 26 for this info! - but I'm not convinced, so if I prove 'em otherwise, refund plz.

So I'm asking - has anyone experienced noisy coilovers before? And since I know it's not the ARB, what should I look at next before ripping the whole interior apart?

Thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    You shoulda bought KW's, , nah seriously hope you get this sorted bro!

"Will these wheel fit my car PM's will not be replied to, do you research & use the SEARCH button"

Detailing - Wheel Refurbishment - Shark Performance Software - VagbremTechnic Dealer - OEM Retrofitting - Remus - V-Maxx - Goodridge

5th Gear

Status
    lol - thanks dude

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by scott1andrews View Post
    Hi All,

For those who remember, I had a thread going a while back about a 'metal' rattle sound coming from the rear of my 09 A3. It seems to happen when going quite slow (30 or less, sometimes 40) on bumpy roads, but it also happens occasionally when it's not so bumpy, and it NEVER happens when I'm trying to show it someone lol. I think it's inside the car but I'm not sure...

Basically, I've pretty much checked everything and I don't think it's the seats or anything like that, although I've convinced myself plenty of times it could have been. I have Weitec coilovers and Eibach ARB's fitted, and I'd read on here that NHN had a prob with the Eibach rear roll bar knocking. I took the car to a local garage today to check out the ARB and they said it was fine, plenty of room and no signs of it knocking on anything and they advised that it's probably the coilovers rattling as that happens sometimes. Something to do with the spring and what it's seated on both being metal - and they charged me 26 for this info! - but I'm not convinced, so if I prove 'em otherwise, refund plz.

So I'm asking - has anyone experienced noisy coilovers before? And since I know it's not the ARB, what should I look at next before ripping the whole interior apart?

Thanks

That's the biggest bunch of cow manure I have ever heard to explain a rattle! If I wasn't a gentleman I would be typing expletives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really need to hear that rattle so post up a the sound clip or just video the back seat and let me hear it! I tried to help you before and will help you again. I want that good bottle of beer!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GONE LOW BUT GOING LOWER

Status
    If you have taken the rear adjusters out then yh maybe cos. I too have a slight rattle but that's where I have taken the rear adjusters out to make the rear lower. I know this cos I've done a lot of investigating when I heard mine doing it. Lol

but if not then I really done know.

G

Interweb creep

Status
    I've got H&R springs on my S3 and also find they rattle. I mainly notice it from the rear pasanger side.

BBS SUPER RS FTW

6th Gear

Status
    Sounds like a problem that i had Scott, although i was on standard suspension

Got Audi to check it out and one of the rear shock absorbers was leaking, might be worth checking them to make sure they're OK
    Currently driving a 55 plate Ford Mondeo ST. But as Arnie once said...

I'll be back!!!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Just a thought but this sounds like something I had on an A4. Have a look at your brake pads. They have a small spring to keep them tensioned, if this spring breaks the pad rattles around in the caliper causing the noise you describe. Worth a check. Good luck.