Sportback Rear LED's

in the origianal thread which was about 6 pages long I did do a post which gave instructions but cant see to find the post anywhere.

Ive fitted about 5 sets now and guided a few people over the phone.

Just remember not to mix the kufatec looms up as they are sided left and right but can be plugged in wrong

Matts the kiddy for this mod, so best to deal with him.

in the origianal thread which was about 6 pages long I did do a post which gave instructions but cant see to find the post anywhere.

Ive fitted about 5 sets now and guided a few people over the phone.

Just remember not to mix the kufatec looms up as they are sided left and right but can be plugged in wrong

That's the thread I was posting to Matt but it's been deleted :mad:

Found this over on VWvortex:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4027491

Doesn't tell you about coding but helps with the removal of the boot liner if your unsure.

Although a word of warning, in this thread it says there are only 2 Torx screws but there are actually 4. The 2 mentioned but also 1 next to each inner light behind the liner, obviously not easy to get at :banghead:

Hope this helps..

Got my rear LED lights fitted today with the help of Staz, along with a few other functions thanks to Vag-Com.

Thanks once again Staz for all your help today..

Got my rear LED lights fitted today with the help of Staz, along with a few other functions thanks to Vag-Com.

Got my lights from audi, but my bits from kufatec never turned up!

was it easily done any problems along the way i need to look out for?

Pleasure mate! They look awesome by the way :hubbahubba: I had to go back and turn the light of though, as I said to you there's always something I forget! lol

Got my lights from audi, but my bits from kufatec never turned up!

was it easily done any problems along the way i need to look out for?

It's a really easy job yeah. There's no need for a 'how to' thread really. Ryan (or one of the others guys) can explain about taking the trim panel off. The wiring is simple. An adaptor for each light and then I spliced the inner tail lights into the numberplate light wire. This is the trickiest part really as you're soldering onto a hanging wire and Ryan doesn't have asbestos fingers surprisingly enough :shrug:

I think this has turned into pretty much the most comprehensive thread on here though :icon_thumright:

I must admit I do like the 2009 Sportback rear-lights. I've got them on mine but I rarely see them! One my way home tonight I followed a Sportback the same as mine for miles up the A1 and I thought how good they looked. Even my wife commented about them looking nice!

Dont mean to hijack the thread at all but can someone just answer a related question - can these only be fitted to the newer A3s? I've got a 53 plate A3 Sport (3 door) - could I get these rear lights fitted just as easily?

Thanks
Chris

Dont mean to hijack the thread at all but can someone just answer a related question - can these only be fitted to the newer A3s? I've got a 53 plate A3 Sport (3 door) - could I get these rear lights fitted just as easily?

Thanks
Chris

These are just for the 5 door sportback mate, you can get 3 door versions but they are different.

Ah I see, do they look completely different? I'll do a search and see if I can find any threads about them but if you have any links to threads regarding the rear lights for the 3 door's then that would be great

Cheers
Chris

Some pics of my lovely new lights at night :hubbahubba:....Thanks again Staz

DSC01629.jpg

DSC01630.jpg

lol it sure is. I didnt realise there were such differences between the 3 door and 5 door - I thought it was just literally 2 extra doors. The sportback lights do look better, but even the 3 door ones would still look better than the standard fit in my car so I might have to look at getting some of those!

It's a really easy job yeah. There's no need for a 'how to' thread really. Ryan (or one of the others guys) can explain about taking the trim panel off. The wiring is simple. An adaptor for each light and then I spliced the inner tail lights into the numberplate light wire. This is the trickiest part really as you're soldering onto a hanging wire and Ryan doesn't have asbestos fingers surprisingly enough :shrug:

I think this has turned into pretty much the most comprehensive thread on here though :icon_thumright:

Did you need an additional piece of wire to attach to the number plate live wire or is it part of the loom/adapter that comes from the kufatec kit?

going to attempt this shortly and wanted to know if i need anythig else before i start.

so far got:
kufatec adapter looms
kufatec diagnostic coder
audi read leds
gas soldering iron
solder

Did you need an additional piece of wire to attach to the number plate live wire or is it part of the loom/adapter that comes from the kufatec kit?

going to attempt this shortly and wanted to know if i need anythig else before i start.

so far got:
kufatec adapter looms
kufatec diagnostic coder
audi read leds
gas soldering iron
solder

The wires on the loom are both long enough to reach the number plate wire. You'll need a sharp knife or scalpel to cut into the insulation. I would recommend that you splice one wire onto another and then the second onto the numberplate wire. It's easier that way.

What are the audi read leds?

You've got the basic tools for stripping the trim off yeah?

You should have a loose cable coming from each inner light loom, this is the cable you solder to the licence plate wire.

To make it a bit easier Staz soldered one of the new cables to the other one a little further up, then soldered that cable to the licence plate wire.

Hope this makes sense.

Nice one Ryan , so those will be my lights ... Look great well played !

Got em in!:yahoo:

So i finally done it, took me about 2hrs but i was taking my time and had to go up halfords to buy a star screw driver half way through! it was quite tricky taking the bits out for the first time not knowing how to take them off, but on the whole not that bad. as mentioned by staz the soldering was a pain but not to bad overall.

now for my next mod, anyone know anything about fitting heated seats?

Did mine today, took less than an hour but have just realised the left reverse and fog lights aren't working. Changed the bulbs but still the same so gona have a proper look tomorrow. Had a quick look but couldn't see anything wrong. Strange

Did mine today, took less than an hour but have just realised the left reverse and fog lights aren't working. Changed the bulbs but still the same so gona have a proper look tomorrow. Had a quick look but couldn't see anything wrong. Strange

silly question but did you put the kufatec cables on the right sides?

they should have left and right printed on the bags (in german).

right = rechts
left = links

My Kufatech wires have arrived Today. Now i need to order the lights. Asked Local Dealers they said it wont fit i said they will. Then they said well u find out the Part no. Ur self and we will quote u then. So i Contacted Stokes. Still waiting for Reply. Any Suggestions. My brake light bulb has gone so thought might as well get the lights done while i remove the old lights for just changing the bulb. But Gotta say U guys are top on this Forums man. Really Helps people like me who dont have the gutts. Really gives Us confidence.

silly question but did you put the kufatec cables on the right sides?

they should have left and right printed on the bags (in german).

right = rechts
left = links

Thnx for the reply mate, got mine from a german ebayer. They had left & right on them which i followed.

Had a quick look earlier and found the fog and reverse terminals on the adaptor had come out, must have happened when I plugged them in. All sorted :)

Lights have finally arrived got them dam cheap £180 all in. PM if u want some at that price. Now the Hard bit is too come. Freezing outside dunno when i am gonna start. Anyone in Leicester area that can come and help me lol. Gotta fit Some door cards too.

Ok Got the outers Fitted in the Rain at night. Now the inners Left to do in the morning. Took literally few minutes to change the outer. Was so Easy. Cant believe it. Lets see how hard the inners will be.
Now i need someone to do the Vag com.

Just Finished the Inners. Very easy once Again. Got Nice Tips. Be careful when u remove the inner Panel the metal clips can Fly off. And when putting back be careful to align Proper then bang them in place. Other wise they will bend.

Another tip to connect the wire is to just slice the outer black wire protector, then just use wire clips i forgot what they called the just join both wires together, better than solder and slicing the actual wire.

But at the end its a well worth Mod. Highly Recommmend.

Was dark and raining once again. I just ended up sitting in the boot and fitting lol.

This might sound unusual but i am selling my S/B so i am putting all the standard bits back on and need the original coding for the STANDARD tail lamps,
does any one know what it is????
I should have taken note of the coding before i changed it for led tail lamps
Cheers,
Martin

Dear All,

Finally figured this out for my SB and would like to share some of my experience with you all and summarize in one post.

First the coding...

Go to Central Electornics on VAG COM and go to coding -> help with long coding

Btye 9 to Dec = 0
Byte 10 to Dec = 0
Byte 12 to Dec = 36 or 48 if you want them to be brighter
Byte 19 Bit 2 Cold Diagnosis rear active

Then comes the Loom...

If you bought the Kufatec Loom, then it should be easy. but be really careful not to mix the left and the right outer looms because if they are installed the wrong way the LEDs will not light up (rather frustrating because it took a day for me to figure this out). The hanging wire (circled in red in the picture above) for the inner lights is the 12v for the inner LEDs. You should connect these 2 wires to the 12v for the license plate (a Grey wire with Brown stripe)

Then everything should light up like a Christmas tree!!! Enjoy!

Having seen the price of the LED rears from Stoke Audi I'll deffo be doing this mod in the next couple of months :icon_thumright:

Although I will need someone close with VAG-COM...

Having seen the price of the LED rears from Stoke Audi I'll deffo be doing this mod in the next couple of months :icon_thumright:

Although I will need someone close with VAG-COM...

What price are they? :)