A Perfect Day

Spin140

Reaction score
I was lucky enough to attend a track day at Oulton Park today, fantastic weather (in the morning at least!) and a great circuit which IMO deserves the name tag of Mini Nurburg. Iggu came along too with his S3 and it was good to share track time with someone from the Audi Forum, something we both commented which should happen more often, the event was actually a BMW car club event and say what you like about BMW drivers but they are a very socialable bunch.

Anyway the S3 was a pleasure to be in and both the cars gave several E46 M3's a bit of a surprise, today was the first time I've done an event with the Buckets in place and my god it all makes perfect sense now, they are supremely comfortable but more importantly on this occasion I have arrived home with no aches and pains caused by the lack of lateral support on the standard seats, don't get me wrong the standard S3/S-line seats are adequate but if you are torn between ticking that options box or not then NIKE.

Just do it !!

Both Iggu and myself also agreed that one of the best suspension mods you can make is the H&R uprated ARB's with both cars displaying excellent discipline through the twisties with massively reduced understeer, not cheap at @ £475 fitted but worth every penny if you like to use your S3/A3 as intended.

If your motor impresses you now, indulge yourself, join us on our next track day and find out what a comprehensive all rounder the car is, after today my previous thoughts and impressions have been enforced, the S3/A3 is a cracking hot hatch and greatly under-rated.

I draw the comparison that taking your car on a track day is like when you have great sex with your Mrs, afterwards you love them just a little bit more :)

Screaming around the track one minute then driving home in relaxed luxury a little later, today has been a good day for me and my S3.

I don't drive my car on the track, but my handling amazes every1 even Iggu, as he's been in my car, KW V2s + H&R ARBs......nice one spin

Coil overs are a definite item to be added to my ultimate wish list, my preference would be for a magnetic based system with an in car controller as per the one Bilstein offer for the 3 series BMW but not one on the market yet, for me that would be perfect so that I could have comfort when the car is being used as the family transport but stiffen things up when travelling solo.

Wish I could win about £5K then I'd keep the current car and its buckets and spend the cash making it my perfect ride, BBK, Bilstein or similar, track wheels and tyres, it will all come together eventually just need to be patient, in fact as you were Nate, you knew what you wanted and I remember you had most of your bits before the car arrived - RESPECT :)

This was probably the most enjoyable trackday I've done - and I've done a fair few, at Oulton Park and elsewhere. The car felt so good and much better for having the ARBs. There's a lot of chat on here about how fast the S3 is compared to other cars - but myself and Spin saw for ourselves just how much faster they are than top end BMWs (M3s, M Coupes, M Roadsters, Evos) yesterday. I had a passenger for every one of my laps and we were much faster on the straights, the bends, the corners and the hairpins than every road-going M car there (not including the stripped out roll caged race machines). We were reeling them in for fun and out of the turns the gulf in pace was staggering.

What Spin is too polite to mention is my near-disaster. Clipped the turf on a fast 60mph sweeper towards the pitlane and spun out. 360 degree spin, 100 yard skid up the grass - and parked up a foot deep in the clay about two and a half feet from the barrier. Miraculous escape. Had to get towed off but fortunately the car was fine and we continued for the rest of the day. 100% driver error - just went one inch too wide chasing the apex.

Have no doubt - a Revo Stage 2+ car (both our cars are in this guise) with ARBs and springs will make mincemeat of supposedly "better" cars in every situation on a track.

Great day Spin - hope to meet up again soon.

*adds stage II+ and anti roll bars to Christmas wish list*

Nice one Andy, my friend is thinking about gettin his S3 mapped soon, is it possible to take him out for a spin in yours again?

Cheers Nath

I didn't take my car onto Castle Combe at ADI as I wanted to get around and meet some people but I really do need to get my car on a track again soon :drool:

Keep me posted on the next trip please guys :jump:

Sounds like you both had a good day!
Iggu.... i've seen you nearly spin before ;)

I'll be based up north soon, and would definately like to come along to a session on Oulton park.

Iggu - have the roll bars finally made sense now? I recall you feling a little underwhelmed initially after you had them fitted. I still rtae them as one of the best mod's I've done.

I can agree with Spin on the performance of the S3. At ADI my car (not even stage 2+ just GIAC and Milltek DP and CAT) was slowly reeling in old shape RS6 + on the straights (making mince meat of it in the corners).

I was on track with Chris at ADI and it is far more enjoyable on track with someone in equal machinery and or equal driving talent....

Hope to join you on a track day soon :D

28th November at Bedford suit you, @ £129, open pit lane on the safest circuit in the UK ? Everyone welcome, if we get 10 interested we can set up an ASN group with Motorsport vision and get 10% off all entries and extras ?

Nice one Andy, my friend is thinking about gettin his S3 mapped soon, is it possible to take him out for a spin in yours again?

Cheers Nath

Any time - just give us a bell whenever it suits mate.

Did somebody say 'Spin' ? :)

I said a few choice words during my spin yesterday - very choice.

Sounds like you both had a good day!
Iggu.... i've seen you nearly spin before ;)

I remember that too - but this was somewhat more dramatic !

Iggu - have the roll bars finally made sense now? I recall you feling a little underwhelmed initially after you had them fitted. I still rtae them as one of the best mod's I've done.

Made a MASSIVE difference in a track situation where everything is 10/10 - but on the road they don't make such a difference. But yes is the answer - they paid for themselves yesterday and that was only one day .... an essential mod I'd say. Spin140 has them too and they were a big factor in the success of the day.

28th November at Bedford suit you, @ £129, open pit lane on the safest circuit in the UK ? Everyone welcome, if we get 10 interested we can set up an ASN group with Motorsport vision and get 10% off all entries and extras ?

What time does it start? I have a Christmas party down this way that evening.

EDIT: CANCEL!

Last edited:
I've always said your a good lad Andy. You about friday afternoon at all, he lives in Bowdon, not far from you.

I am indeed - any time between 11pm and 3pm (need to be back at mine for 3.30pm though) is fine. Just let me know where/when. Glad to help out.

Count me in Spin. I'll see if Justin fancies bringing his Supra along too. Didn't plan on another before Xmas but sod it - why not ?