New A3 automatics pioneer stop-start

h5djr

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I have just seen this item on the car.kak.net website...

Audi compact hatchback is first in premium sector to combine automatic transmission with economy focused start-stop function. Automatic versions of the latest economy focused Audi A3 models are the first in the premium sector to benefit from the latest engine start-stop technology, which has already helped to cut emissions in manual transmission TDI versions to a sector-leading 109g/km. The new highly efficient 1.4 TFSI petrol and 1.6 TDI versions of the A3 equipped with the acclaimed S tronic twin-clutch automatic transmission will spearhead the new technology, which also goes hand-in-hand with a recuperation system to harness braking energy.

For more details go to:
http://car.kak.net/2009/11/04/new-audi-a3-automatics-pioneer-start-stop/#more-521

No think you mean hill hold mate on the DSG, dont know about the DGS though mate :whistle2:

Yeah I read about this recently when I was looking at a new a3 advertised on italian tv, lol, typical they got the price wrong

I thought bmw's already had this start stop engine lark im sure they have !!

Yes BMW do put the stop-start system on some of their model. It's how they get their C02 rating so low!

Audi already have the stop-start system on some of it's manual gearbox models but these new models are the first to have it on any form of automatic transmission. BMW only has it on manual transmission models.

and Yes all new A3s with the DSG/S-tronic gearbox do now have the hill-hold as standard. My previous 2007 A3 didn't have it but my current 2009 model does.

The only problem I can see is that there will be even more cars stopped at traffic lights etc with their brake lights on blinding the driver behind, especially at night. This is one of my pet hates with drivers who drive automatics and are too lazy to put them into neutral when their stopped at lights. Something I vowed never to do with my s-tronic.

Last edited:
Good point H5djr! Did i read this causes warped discs? Maybe on motorbikes though LOL

Not sure if Nigel got my dig at the faulty DSG boxes LOL

Good point H5djr! Did i read this causes warped discs? Maybe on motorbikes though LOL

Not sure if Nigel got my dig at the faulty DSG boxes LOL

No I don't think he did, but I didn't either having never experienced any problems of any kind with any of my three DSGs to date, although I did with a couple of my previous A3 manual gearboxes.

Shouldn't cause any brake problems though because pressing the brake pedal disengages the clutch on S-tronic gearbox.

Last edited:
what problems did you have?

I had a similar problem on two manual boxes. Poor and sticky change from 1st to 2nd and 'crunching' when engaging reverse especially when the box was cold and I engaged reverse to back out of the garage. Some times reverse would not engage at all and I had to release the clutch and press it again to be able to get reverse at all.

What a ****** silly idea.

At least it's only on the bottom of the range, in power output, models and what is good - it can be switched OFF.

Sounds like a GOOD idea if you live in London, Scotland, mmm - a traffic jam for me is waiting for 30 seconds LOL

Next thing you know it will switch off at 80mph on motorways and switch back on at 60 mph.....to teach people a lesson......lol

Next thing you know it will switch off at 80mph on motorways and switch back on at 60 mph.....to teach people a lesson......lol

The next thing will be a speed limiter which limits you to 4mph and a man to walk in front with a red flag!