Various lights, hard steering...

johal87

Reaction score
hi all, should have my car back within the next day or so, however

theres a steering wheel light and traction control light on the dash..

i've taken the car on a spin for 15 minutes after its been stood for around 3 months lol

1) lots of smoking
2) steering is very hard
3) oil is black, very very dark!

and i did think it could be power steering fluid? but i have no idea where it is!

cheers guys

Shouldn't be power steering fluid, sounds like the rest is all abit seized up! Annoyingley i had a 89 polo many years ago i left this for 7 months outside untouched, when i got home it started first time to go to the pub. Guess they were alot simpler then.:wacko:

the steering wheel icon would come on if the battery has been disconnected. Usually turning the wheel from lock to lock or taking the car or a drive sorts it.

Why was car off the road for 3 months? Is it a diesel?

yes mate its a diesel,

and it was off the road because because it was being repaired, and resprayed and the garage has just taken there time about it

and yes the battery has been disconnected, well maybe not disconneted but its defo gone dead a few times

i did drive it, and its gone up to 90 on temp, and seems ok, just steering is very very hard, my e30 325i sport has lighter steering!

and the garage tech had a quick look at the oil and said its black, to dark, and its got too much oil in there system, that might cause to the smoking...

You need to reset a few steering options possibly because of the battery being of, steering angle sensor, lateral sensor, brake pedal pressure etc all with vagcom mostly, 1 should reset after driving for a short distance turning full lock left to right or vice versa, but get vagcom on it mate & check the ross-tech wiki:

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/Audi_A3_%288P%29_Brake_Electronics_%28MK60%29#Special_Procedures

Black oil is perfectly normal for a diesel, even when you put new oil in after emptying old, within minutes its black aswell, smoking could be cause its been standing for a while tbh, few good runs might clean out any crap, but again get vagcom on it to check errors before long runs.

It will go dead if battery hasnt been precharged tbh, 3 months without use, even the battery would drain a bit & now even more with cold weather, should of stuck it on charge for 3 days then stick in car, would of been ok then.

thanks fellas, il get the guy to try and do this tommorow and get back to you from there!

Nigel's right, I've done this tonight after I trial fitted me new cluster.

after been talked through every step over the phone

matt "ok nath start the car"
nath "so i need to turn the key"
matt "yes"
nath "ok car is running"
matt "drive the car forward no more than 10mph"
nath " can i go backwards I am parked right behind another car"
matt is feeling like giving up

sorry for winding you up nath

As NHN as said just foolow the procedures on ross tech wiki

after been talked through every step over the phone

matt "ok nath start the car"
nath "so i need to turn the key"
matt "yes"
nath "ok car is running"
matt "drive the car forward no more than 10mph"
nath " can i go backwards I am parked right behind another car"
matt is feeling like giving up

sorry for winding you up nath

As NHN as said just foolow the procedures on ross tech wiki

i guess we will be waiting for a while for pictures then :)

Guys ive tried the turning the steering wheel etc and no luck?

I've plugged in the dudes diagnostics tool, wiped loads of errors, but the steering sensor remains, steering end impact? High voltage, and some thing to do with data but that's there because the Airbags module ain't plugged in, cars turning into a real nightmare!

Please help :(

Last edited:
That doesnt exactly help us or you alot mate, you need to post up the exact errors so we can see what it is saying, then we can advise of what would possibly correct this, the steering sensor will go if you do the others aswell, from the post above you just seem to have cleared any errors without actually doing the calibrations as already advised, this wont help.

Did you use vagcom or some crap handheld device?

hey guys heres a update

got the car back today, steering still ********, going to get a vag com guy to look at it tommorow

however i was thinking, when i had the airbags etc changed, the new wheel come with a complete coloum etc, and the guy just changed the whole thing, instead of the steering wheel, would this make a diff?

and also its turning half a turn more to the right, not sure how much, might be a whole turn, but non the less its turning more to the right to full lock

and as well as the steering wheel light on, the traction light is aswell..

Why not buy vagcom to fix yourself?

If they messed with steering maybe they fitted some things wrong

Ight guys I'm going crazy now

it's been on vagcom and it's coming up with fault steering angel sensor, tried to test didn't work, cleared the fault didn't work

brought a new steering angle sensor from audi, still does not work,

Now I'm going mad what could it be?

You must be doing something wrong mate, you need to follow the instructions as set out below, which have been taken from the link NHN gave above.

Where are you from? Are you actually using Vagcom, its not just a case of clearing the faults, you need to follow the steps below

Sensor for Steering Angle (G85)

Prerequisites:

• Start the vehicle.
  • Turn the steering wheel one turn to the right and one turn to the left.
  • Drive in a short distance straight line on a level surface at a speed not higher than 20 km/h.
  • If the steering wheel is straight during the test drive then stop the vehicle with the wheels pointed straight.
  • Ensure that the steering wheel is not moved again.
  • Keep the engine running and do not switch off the ignition.
  • System voltage at least 12.0 V.
[Select]
[03 - Brake Electronics]
[Coding-II - 11]
OR (if Coding-II is not available)
[Security Access - 16]
Enter 40168, to enable the basic setting.
[Do it!]
[Basic Settings - 04]
Group 060
[Go!]
Activate the Basic Setting.
[ON/OFF/Next]
After a successful basic setting, field 2 should say "OK".
[Done, Go Back]
To make sure the basic setting was succesful, check the sensor again.
[Measuring Blocks - 08]
Group 004
[Go!]
Check field 1, the value has to be between -1.5 and +1.5 °.
[Done, Go Back]
[Close Controller, Go Back - 06]

Note: After successful basic setting, the Steering Limit Stop needs to be adapted too.

Steering Limit Stop Adaptation

(Engine still running)
  • Center steering wheel (±10°) and hold it centered for 5 seconds.
  • Turn steering wheel completely to the left and hold it there for a second.
  • Turn steering wheel completely to the right and hold it there for a second.
  • Center steering wheel (±10°).
  • Switch OFF engine and ignition.
  • Switch ON ignition.
  • Wait 5 seconds.
  • Steering Assist Warning Lamp should turn OFF. If it doesn't, perform a short test drive.

We did do that but with autofiagnostics, vag com was just used to scan

when we tried to log in with the code it said log in failed

I'm in birmingham if any one wants a go =[

We did do that but with autofiagnostics, vag com was just used to scan

when we tried to log in with the code it said log in failed

I'm in birmingham if any one wants a go =[

Like we have said mate you need to use vagcom.

Your welcome to have a drive up to me and ill sort it out im about 1hr 30 from Birmingham city centre

Look not being funny mate, but you dont listen to people that at least have some experience in this field, not being big headed but we're trying our best to help you but you just dont want to listen.

I'll say it again ok.

Post on the site the errors you have got, exactly what vagcom shows you, you also need to use vagcom to follow the procedures correctly to the letter, we know they work 100% as I've personally done this untold times myself.

Now please listen to what we're freely advising you to do & the error will get resolved, dont use some other crap unit or software as most likely it wont work unless its a VAS 5052 unit that vag use.

Use vagcom to do everything advised & it will be resolved, god knows why you went out & bought a new angle sensor after I had already advised you what to do.

To note, you cant just clear the fault & it goes away, you have to follow the procedure with VAGCOM, its a vagcom procedure, then clears the faults if it still exists, then the lights will go out & steering back to normal.

however i was thinking, when i had the airbags etc changed, the new wheel come with a complete coloum etc, and the guy just changed the whole thing, instead of the steering wheel, would this make a diff?

and also its turning half a turn more to the right, not sure how much, might be a whole turn, but non the less its turning more to the right to full lock

Has it all been put back together right?

Does not seem right that its turning more one way, was the tracking done? was the steering wheel put on straight??

The guy hasnt taken into consideration the number of turns each way, he's basically fitted it possibly without checking the wheels position & also the slip ring number of turns aswell, still he needs to use vagcom to do this 1st properly, then check other parts, why did the guy replace the column, was it bent out of shape or just cause he couldnt figure how to do the airbag swap on its own.

Hi guys

im really sorry if you guys thought i wernt listening, I was, and i appricate all the advise given, i was just getting frustrated and was trying to make the best out what was there at the garage

however, I've left the car with a good mate of mine, who knows his stuff on vagcom, i should have done this first, i just needed a car to drive around! but since its the weekend i thought might aswell,

good news! the steering angle sensor has been fixed, I havnt been down, but he goes its sorted, and he followed your advise on this matter, so thanks guys!

few other fault codes to sort which should be done tommorow,

i'll report back once i have the car in my hands again, but so far, thanks alot! its really appricated, i do actully think i need to invest in vag com! :thumbsup:

Ok cool, yeah invest it in from me, lol, seriously I sell the genuine kit so look me up, most next day delivery, international no problem with just the additional postage at cost.