NO led number plate LED bulbs work in 09 S3

crypric23

Never satisfied
Reaction score
No led number plate bulbs work in 09 S3,

Matt and have tried the following.

Used original LED bulbs that worked 100 % in my 2008

http://www.convert2xenon.co.uk/led-products/261-2xsmd-36mm-canbus-festoon-high-power-led-bulb.html

Although they worked in my 2008 car and still work in Matts 57 - S3 they do not work in my 2009 S3.

Have also tried adding 150h resistor on one , then on both .. NO JOY.

Took out the above bulbs as they have a built in resistor and added the one's that toby cruse used ( metal ) with 150h resistor on one , then on both .. NO JOY.

They all work fine , but bulb error in dis.

Kind of lost on this One... Does anyone have a 2009 - 59 plate with a working number plate LED ?

Or has any one used a different resistor value with no errors ?

Thanks peeps

Try a lower value mate so it's drawing more current :shrug:

Get 2 100s to give you a combined resistance of 50 ohms as the 2x150s didn't work.

That'll be 2.88 watts.

If that doesn't work add one or both of the 150 resistors to give 37.5 and 30 ohm total.

The last would be 4.8 watts which should be the last resort really. Check the temp though!

Ok ,

So i have tried >

1 * 100 per light = ERROR , but nice crisp white colour.

1 * 150 + 1 * 100 on one light AND 1 * 100 on other light and NO ERRORS

BUT THE.

1 * 150 + 1 * 100 is now a bluish colour WHILE the 1 * 100 on the other light is crisp white.

I can have both with 150 + 100 with no errors BUT then they are both bluish , so that defeats the object , although better than yellow !

( also tried a single 220 resistor on each light , ERRORS )

I have LED number plate bulbs working fine on my 09 A3. I think I'm using 2 x 120 ohm resistors.

Ah ok are they 2 watts ? . And what colour are they. ?And which led are you using ?

Last edited:
Really you need to test the resistance with the original bulbs in place to work out what you need to use.

These are the ones - http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/37mm-leds-festoon-output-cool-white-p-1496.html

They are blue ish white - but look wicked. More white than blue. I can take some pics if you want? They are quite bright though, but nothing too bright.

I have some of those as it goes , ill give them a try , i only have 100h resistors or 150 though , are you sure you are running 120h ?

Really you need to test the resistance with the original bulbs in place to work out what you need to use.

Nigel , i would have no idea how to check which resistors work , the ones i am running show no errors , but they are now blueish , and in my 08 car they where crisp white.

http://www.convert2xenon.co.uk/led-products/261-2xsmd-36mm-canbus-festoon-high-power-led-bulb.html

Worked 100% and still do in Matts , must be a facelift issue.

I have some of those as it goes , ill give them a try , i only have 100h resistors or 150 though , are you sure you are running 120h ?

I'm not too sure. Could be 150 ohm, could be 120 - can go and check if you like? I know I had 100, 120, 150 and 180 ohm resistors.... so it's one of them, lol.

LOL , i would be interested to know the exact set up you have.

As many people including myself have had results on pre facelift , but as of now you are the only person i know of that is running them on a facelift , i would also like to see a pic. As mine do work with no errors , but have gone from crisp white on my old car to a blueish colour , maybe i am just being fussy and they are the same as yours.

I am just annoyed that they where white and are now blueish !

Now that I think about it, probably 150 ohm, as I'm certain I bought 180 and 120 just in case the 150's didn't work so I had some others to mess around with. I've just been out and taken some pics (in the rain!) nothing fancy, just on auto, but let me boot into Windows and copy them over as I haven't got my card reader working on Linux yet.

IMG_0811.jpg

IMG_0807.jpg

IMG_0814.jpg

Great thanks for that , ill try the bulbs you have with a 150h ( i have both somewhere )
I will let you know.

I missed this thread yesterday Crypric.

I can only assume that there's too much power being used by the resistors so the LED gets the bear minimum. I would suggest that there's a certain resistance that might give you the better colour without errors but you could end up messing about for ages trying to find it!

Fingers crossed the other LEDs are better for you mate.