2.0TDi Oil burner

I

imported_shaudy

Hi, my first post on here so I’ll start off by saying hello to everyone!

OK, how often do you TDi owners top up the oil in your engines?

I’ve got a 2.0TDi Sport, it was new in April and has done about 4500 miles… when I got the car, I had the longer service interval upgrade done by Audi to the car so that it doesn’t require a service for 30,000 miles – I guess a higher quality engine oil is used for this. Anyway today on the motorway the oil light came on so I pulled over at the next service station and checked the oil after the car had been stood for 5 minutes and there didn’t seem to be any in. So I stuck in the engine, the 1 litre of oil supplied by Audi when I got the car… I haven’t checked the oil since I got home but I did another 100 miles after this and the light stayed off.

I know diesels burn oil but I didn’t expect to be topping up the oil so soon!

Thanks
Shaun

just spotted the Diesel forum.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

well, diesels are 4stroke engines...they dont burn the oil unlike 2strokes. Basically, it shouldnt be drinking the oil like that tbh. I got a 1.9TDI, its done 120k and i havent topped ANY of the levels up since april when i got it. It may be advisable to take it back to the dealer and moan a little!!!

It will use a little oil when it is running in, perfectly normal. Initial oil level was probably a tiny bit low. Keep an eye on it and make sure you use the correct long life oil.

Thanks for the replies, I'll pop over to Audi this week and buy another litre of oil and see what they say about it using the oil so quickly. I checked the oil today and its right at the maximum mark. I’ll probably use ¾ of a litre next time then check the level.

I used the oil supplied by Audi when I got the car, so it must be the right stuff.. I didn’t take any notice of what it said on the packaging but the oil is like water, I guess it’s fully synthetic.

Thanks
Shaun

SNAP! same happened to me in my Audi A3. On our way down to Southampton, suddenly the oil light showed up - car done about 6,000 miles, so stopped at next service station and bought a litre of oil. Quite suprised at the need for oil at such a mileage. Until I had read this forum, I had forgotten all about it - so not the only one to experience it. Used to have VW Golf's and never had to top the oil up, only on service intervals! The Audi A3 is superb - won't be going back to VW's even if I have to buy more oil!