Squeaky Turbo????

Blueie

He who dears' wins!!
Reaction score
Well i think it is the Turbo, when i put my foot down i get a squeek/whistle. Doing my nut in now and a bit worried. Mate said it could be the bearing on the turbo??

Something i can fix or need to change?
Should i be worried? :scared2:

What car/engine is it? is it doing it just when under load?

Something like a tiny stone may have gone through your turbo and slightly dented a fin in the turbo and when it spins faster ie when putting your foot down it will make it sound slighly different cause of the way the air is passing over the indentation.

But i'm not the authority and it could be many other things so just get somone to check it out to be safe.

I know what you mean, but i dont know enough about turbos BUT as a farmer iv come across a few bearing on tractors + machinery and its similar to a bearing dry without grease! Hard to explain lol

Could also be a intercooler hose not seating correct and leaking boost when under pressure

if its a high pitched whine, the turbos on its way out if its just started doing it - some turbos make a whine from new (high pitched low volume whine that is).

It will get louder over time and then it will go pop. It will be a whine, then a police siren noise and then it will be a high pitched sqreech and then it will be pop im afraid..

If you sure its the turbo, try and change it before it blows as it saves a lot of headache as you will need to change intercooler pipes, flush the engine, oil change 500 miles after, flush intercooler...

If it does blow (Pop and white smoke) turn it off straight away and DO NOT DRIVE or START as chances are the oil seals will have gone so it will drink all the oil in the engine in less than a minute..

Lucky for you, i have a spare reonditioned one with warranty i want rid of as Ive sold my motor so if you interested, drop me a PM :D

But gt a speicialsit to look at it, it could be a split hose or something like of that nature which could wor out cheaper..

Iv done some searches on the old Google and come up with it could be a loss of boost preasure due to a hole or moveement of the pipe. SO i will inspect an see what the score is! If it a turbo i will get in touch!!

if its a high pitched whine, the turbos on its way out if its just started doing it - some turbos make a whine from new (high pitched low volume whine that is).

It will get louder over time and then it will go pop. It will be a whine, then a police siren noise and then it will be a high pitched sqreech and then it will be pop im afraid..

If you sure its the turbo, try and change it before it blows as it saves a lot of headache as you will need to change intercooler pipes, flush the engine, oil change 500 miles after, flush intercooler...

If it does blow (Pop and white smoke) turn it off straight away and DO NOT DRIVE or START as chances are the oil seals will have gone so it will drink all the oil in the engine in less than a minute..

Lucky for you, i have a spare reonditioned one with warranty i want rid of as Ive sold my motor so if you interested, drop me a PM :D

But gt a speicialsit to look at it, it could be a split hose or something like of that nature which could wor out cheaper..

Just read your description with horror!

Ive noticed a strange but slight noise recently like a police siren!! It seems to get higher and lower with engine speed even at rest.

Even when at rest i can hear it "click in". I know this sounds like the fans but ive watched the fans stay still when it "clicks in".

A dab of the throttle and it goes away. thought it was a pump of some sort, but christ your description worries me.

Get it to a garage if its a squeal it could also be a tensioner for the cambelt or altenator pulley,power steering pump etc etc,there is no point guessing and worrying

Get it to a garage if its a squeal it could also be a tensioner for the cambelt or altenator pulley,power steering pump etc etc,there is no point guessing and worrying

:iagree: - get it to a garage.

Can be so many things but hope for your sake its something small but if its the police siren noise form the turbo, thats ok but if it starts to get louder, that will be the bearings.

Its happened with me and 2 mates with the same engine so pretty clued up on these turbos now.

Do let us know if you need further help.

Thanks or the advice

Will get to a garage asap

My wife came in the other day and asked me if i ever think that i hear a police siren when driving the car!!

Now i know im not making it up

I have always been getting a whistle from my turbo, bought the car in January. It starts from about 1.5k revs and continues as long as I keep accelerating. After I've remapped it the whistle is still there. I believe turbos do give whistling sound, or should I be worried? No errors on VagCom.

Last edited:
It would give you a whistle if you had a K&N or a similar induction kit but more of a sound sucking the air. But if it more tinny sound whitle or above mention could be the following

Hole in a boost pipe
Turbo problem (on its way out)

but sounds to me it similar to mine if it not like a siren so inspect all pipes to see if you have any oil about

I only changed the panel filter to Pipercross. No induction kit. I'll have a look at the pipes though..

If want to compare the noise mine is very similar to squeaky disk brakes you get sometimes

I'll try to record and post how it sounds.