Warranty repair screw up - advice please

Sem

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Recently had some warranty work done on my car - the paint on two of the alloy wheels was fading and the headlights were steaming up which was began to leave water marks on the lenses.

1) Car was booked in on 14/10/09 for work to be carried out, the car was collected from my work at 9AM.

2) Car was returned on the same day at around 17:30, two new wheels and headlights fitted. Wheels looked fine but the alignment of the headlight units was just shocking. There was far too much gap (5-6mm) between the edge of the headlight and bumper on one side and around 2mm on the other side. The car looked like it had been very poorly repaired from a front end accident!

3) Called the dealer, explained the problem and that I wasn't happy. I asked for the headlights to be fitted as per factory spec meaning GO AND HAVE A LOOK AT THE A3 IN YOUR SHOWROOM AND FIT THEM EXACTLY THE SAME AS THAT!! They collected the car at 9AM on 16/10/09 to rectify the problem.

4) Car returned at around 2:30PM, the headlight that was correctly aligned had now been tilted back to open up the gap between the edge of the headlight and bumper to match the misaligned headlight on the other side. The guy who dropped the car off was quite rude and told me that the 'master tech' had fitted them this time so that's the best they they are going to be!

5) Called the dealer and they said they would send out the master tech to have a look and adjust the headlights on the car park at work to my satisfaction. I wasn't happy with this because they are xenon headlights and a 2mm adjustment will be magnified by the projector lense and therefore throw the beam alignment out. I insisted that the beam will need to be re-aligned once the headlights have been correctly fitted. I also advised that I was going to check the fitting on a new A3 at my local dealer and get back to them on Monday.

6) Went to my local dealer on 17/10/09 and checked the A3 in the showroom, as expected, there is only a 1.5-2mm gap between the headlight and bumper.

7) Over the weekend (18/10/09) I took some photos of my headlights and used a 5mm spacer as a measuring gauge (I took a reading with a vernier caliper which confirmed the spacer is 5mm and took a photo of this too). The gauge fits perfectly into the gap on one side but doesn't fit in the other so not only is the gap too much but both sides are inconsistent. This was documented with photos and emailed to the dealer.

8) Dealer responded on 20/10/09 and asked for my measuring tool so they could fit the headlights correctly, they said they would call me on 21/10/09 to arrange to get the car back in.

9) Dealer did not call on 21/10/09, I called them on 23/10/09 but the service rep dealing with the case was 'busy', call was not returned.

Facts:

After two attempts, they have not done the job correctly, this will now be the third attempt.
It's now been a week since they emailed me to arrange to get the car back in and no progress has been made.
They do not return my calls
They are asking to borrow the customers tools to do the job correctly.

Any advice guys?

buy a BMW mate! lol

Just kidding - you need to get onto the head of the Audi!

Cant remember who it is but im sure someone will give you his details!

Appauling service...

Fancy them asking to borrow your calipers ***.

What dealer is it?

Another point to note:

When I questioned their QA procedure and why the car was allowed to be returned the customer in such a state they said they would investigate further and get back to me.

Their response was that the workshop manager does random checks and that mine must have been one that wasn't checked on the day.

If this is the case then on their second attempt at fixing the problem, you would make sure the car was thoroughly checked before leaving the workshop or maybe they thought because the master tech had done the job it didn't need to be checked.

Or maybe they all need to go to Specsavers?

That is a joke I would take the issue to head office.

Can't believe they gave you such bad service Audi is not normally like this.

Maybe a call to Audi HQ (Jeremy Hicks) would be a good start to resolve the situation Sem.

A dealer not returning calls is, quite simply, terrible customer service.

Firstly contact the Head of Business at the dealer. Be calm, explain the situation and who you have already spoken to and ask him to look at the problem and get back to you away. You problem is with that particular dealer rather the Audi UK, who after all, are only the UK importer and do not generally get involved in the day to day problems with a particular dealer. If the HoB does not come back with a satisfactory solution ask to speak to his MD and put the problem to him. If necessary make an appointment and go in to see him face to face. Only once you have done this and you are still not getting satisfaction is it worth trying to get Audi UK involved.

If you do phone Audi the chances are getting put through to Jeremy Hicks are very slim indeed. The switchboard will direct you to Customer Services. Ask to speak to the Customer Services Manager and give him/her the full details and ask them to look into it for you. Get a timescale from them for a reply.

The only way of getting through to Jeremy Hicks will be by writing to Audi UK and there is a chance he may see the letter, but again his PA will probably pass it on directly to the Customer Support Manager.

Far better to get it sorted by contact with the dealer management.

Just to add, Jeremy Hicks does get to read the letters to him, but he directs his PA to deal with these issues as I've spoken to the stuck up cow myself, god she needs to come down a peg or to I can tell yer.

Why not adjust the headlight positions yourself which really isnt to hard with possibly there tools if you dont have the correct ones, then ask them for something for your time & ask them to check the beam directions with the lense in your presence, surely this is best way forward for this & easiest tbh overall, ask for free service or something for messing you about.

Sent an email to both audi direct and the service manager of the dealership that way he'll see that your taking it to audi direct and that should get him moving

Yes exactly, just take it to your local dealer, where you did the check in the showroom. Ultimately all dealers are just franchises, so find a good one and stick with them. I'd also send a letter to the service manager at the useless dealer and let him know exactly how much service revenue his shoddy work on a simple job has just cost him. Add up the likely ongoing costs for servicing over the next 3 years and double it.
This is exactly why I haven't used a main dealer for the last 8 years, the bad ones are appalling and give an essentially good brand a terrible name. VW dealers tend to be far better and far less up themselves.

welcome to the world of audi m8,
where quality and service are our main objective,

NOT !:nyah:

After a lengthy chat with the service rep and the service manager (Mr Hicks' name was dropped into the conversation), this issue was very promptly sorted ;)

The service manager and master tech visited my work yesterday and adjusted the headlights exactly to my preference. The beam will need checking but they have agreed to do this on the first service which is now due.

They have also offered me a goodwill gesture of a free service (worth £285), this has been confirmed in writing.

Glad to hear you have a satisfactory outcome.