Implications of more power?

RonS3

DERV convert
Reaction score
Considering a bit more ooooomph from my S3 after being slightly disappointed with the anticipated performance increase compared to my mk5 golf gti. Slightly worried about chipping in regards to the insurance and warranty implications of say a 300bhp conversion, can anyone advise who's had a bit of a boost already?

Cheers

Ron

Came across a post earlier tonight (don't ask me to link it as I cant remember where I found it) that shows most stock cars are 280ish and a stage 1 Revo or AMD map will take it to 330ish. Search the forum, you will find more details.

Come on now guys.....1 of you must have told your insurance company ?:)

Came across a post earlier tonight (don't ask me to link it as I cant remember where I found it) that shows most stock cars are 280ish and a stage 1 Revo or AMD map will take it to 330ish. Search the forum, you will find more details.

Unfortunately that is not true - a stage 1 map will take you to around 300-305bhp

You will then require a full turbo back exhaust, intake and stage 2 map to achieve 320-330bhp

You will then require a high pressure fuel pump and a stage 2+ map to achieve 340+bhp but then you would also have to consider a new clutch as well.

Considering a bit more ooooomph from my S3 after being slightly disappointed with the anticipated performance increase compared to my mk5 golf gti. Slightly worried about chipping in regards to the insurance and warranty implications of say a 300bhp conversion, can anyone advise who's had a bit of a boost already?

Cheers

Ron

Insurance: Revo 1 will take the car into the first "Percentage Tier" on you insurance, which is 0% - 19 % Increase over stock (IIRC). Last year Direct Line wanted an £50 pa, but raised my excess by £350!!! Binned. Went Adrian Flux and the premium was perfectly acceptable, more importantly the excess is only £150.

Warranty: Maps will only be found if Audi/whomever are actively looking for it. When you hook it up to their diagnostic (V... summick) there are no alarms or flashing lights identifying you as a sinner. With a Stage 1 map I struggle to see what warranty issues you will have which could be attributed and refused under the basis of it being mapped - except the clutch of course. <<< and that's if you tell them it's mapped in the first place.

My advise would be to at least try the Stage 1 map as I was of the same opinion that the standard S3 is underwhelming.

Unfortunately that is not true - a stage 1 map will take you to around 300-305bhp

You will then require a full turbo back exhaust, intake and stage 2 map to achieve 320-330bhp

You will then require a high pressure fuel pump and a stage 2+ map to achieve 340+bhp but then you would also have to consider a new clutch as well.

l second this. l saw a little clutch slip after getting here but it seems to have gone, for now.

this is a question I was wanting to ask actually, and apologies for kind of hijacking the thread RonS3, but how much effect will a standard Revo (or mapping of similar ilk) have on the wear of the clutch?

AuldReekie
Thanks for your very informative post, it answered my doubts nicely. How did you find the stage 1 map performace, did it give the car the edge you were looking for or give you a thirst for more?

Beanoir
I personally wouldn't be to worried about the clutch with an additional 10 or 15% power, unless you're engaging in frequent traffic light grand prix's. The clutch only wears when it's slipping so provided you don't abuse abuse it I can't see it being an issue. It may have a slightly lower life as the onset of slip may occur sooner because of the additional power.

AuldReekie
Thanks for your very informative post, it answered my doubts nicely. How did you find the stage 1 map performace, did it give the car the edge you were looking for or give you a thirst for more?

Beanoir
I personally wouldn't be to worried about the clutch with an additional 10 or 15% power, unless you're engaging in frequent traffic light grand prix's. The clutch only wears when it's slipping so provided you don't abuse abuse it I can't see it being an issue. It may have a slightly lower life as the onset of slip may occur sooner because of the additional power.

Ron. The difference is night and day. Not only in terms of the extra outright power, but the delivery of that power throughout the rev range. Here is what Paul and I think/thought of it - post 38 if you are short for time). Yes, it can be quite addictive. ;)

I personally wouldn't be to worried about the clutch with an additional 10 or 15% power, unless you're engaging in frequent traffic light grand prix's.

Stage 1 Revo remap will transform you car and shouldn't affect the clutch. Stage 2+ however puts so much torque through the flywheel (360 lb/ft and more) that it will screw the clutch after some time even if you don't slip it. Having said that the Sachs performance clutch upgrade is a superb, if costly, modification which I'd highly recommend anyway.