Chip-remap

qennu

Reaction score
Hello I've been thinking of buying my first audi for about 6 months.Time arrived now and I am planning to come to the uk (I am from malta) next month.While I am there I wish to remap/chip it,maybe a cat and exhaust aswell.I wish to do that as nobody do a remap in malta and I heard many people that had lots of problems after they chipped their car in malta.

Can abyone explain what is the difference between a remap and a chip ?Which is best and which one gives more power ?

Thanks

From what l know a chip could mean the ecu unit is tampered with to attach the chip thus voiding warranty. remapping means loading a map which overrides the original map. Many remaps out there, GIAC or REVO are popular. Both can be undetectable. Personally l wouldn't touch chips unless they gave massive gains over remaps.

if it went back to audi for deep analysis then yeah. your local dealership nope. tried and tested. ie l had mine remapped and there where some problems. , audi replaced the ecu, didnt say they found a remap, which they wouldnt as the map doesnt show as flashed on their system, they sent the ecu away( or binned it ), never heard anything else. If you want to know the truth l can speak to a master tech who will give the real uk audi response regarding this.

so does the rempa gives the same power gain as a chip or not and can I do a remap myself or it have to be done by someone like revo etc.

if it went back to audi for deep analysis then yeah. your local dealership nope. tried and tested. ie l had mine remapped and there where some problems. , audi replaced the ecu, didnt say they found a remap, which they wouldnt as the map doesnt show as flashed on their system, they sent the ecu away( or binned it ), never heard anything else. If you want to know the truth l can speak to a master tech who will give the real uk audi response regarding this.

I know the truth, I've remapped a few cars in my time ;)

Either way, it isn't true to say it's "undetectable".

so does the rempa gives the same power gain as a chip or not and can I do a remap myself or it have to be done by someone like revo etc.

Remapping and chipping are two different ways of achieving the same thing. You need to go to a professional to have it done really, doing it yourself usually ends in disaster and having to pay more than the original cost of a professional remap to get it fixed.

I am asking because as I said here in malta nobody does a remap.So if I remap the car before I get it to malta and something goes wrong or maybe I decide to change the turbo or something I think its a big problem.

Chipping is something that is done to older cars that can only be modified by physically removing and swapping a chip over, this is where you may have heard of problems with chipped cars in Malta, it can prove troublesome as the chips can go faulty, not set up properly and in many cases, not physically fitted well which leads to problems.

Remapping is basically plugging a newer car into a laptop and changing the cars coding for a fresh set of data that improves power/economy. Its far more reliable if done by a reputable company and i'm sure many here can advise you of the best places to go in the UK when you come over.