Difficult sidelights why?

Slimbaldy

Hammer it!
Reaction score
Ok so pretty standard headlights on my A3, lots of early mornings to do on dark country roads! I know i'll just upgrade the bulbs as Halfords have a two for one on their extra brilliance bulbs. But hang on the sidelights will look yellow with extra white headlights, ok buy new sidelights easy done.

1. Drop wife to be at station with her best mate and send to Leeds with credit card.
2. Park car nose in half way in Garage.
3. remove bulb covers check location of connectors
4. Put rubber gloves on to protectbulbs.
5. change dipped beam and main beam bulbs easy all done.
6. The Sidelights!
7. Can't see easy way of getting to the bulbs?
8. Check user manual, Should be completed by Audi workshop not a DIY job. ******** I can do this, there only bulbs!
9. Can't get fingers to bulb connector as access to tight,
10. Assess taking headlights out, loosen top of grill, find spline screws to release headlamp. Home tool box hasn't got extra long spline keys (there in my box at work) its saturday afternoon can't be bothered to drive to work and back.
11. Modify old flat scewdriver to fit splines. and release headlamps. They won't come out maybe have to take front bumper off to do this without damage. Shout and chase next door neighbours cat from house thats looking to bully our cat again.
12. Drop torch into belly pan. struggle for another ten minutes to get torch without removing belly pan. (find metal clip also in belly pan)
13. Stop have a cup of tea and a smoke and discuss with self i am not stipping down the front of the car to change sidelight bulbs! Shout at cat again.
14. OK time to get cunning. replace all screws and seals on front of car.
15 Use a small flat blade scewdriver then a larger one and torch(don't drop it into the belly pan again) and slowly and gently work connector loose while standing in a almost bent in double upside down position slowly aggrevating dodgy disk in back.
16 bulb nearly loose it will just pull out.
17 replace bulb and refit while looking through front of headlamp. one down.
18 repeat process as quickly as possibe on off side light before back gives up. (including dropping torch and screwdriver into belly pan)
19 Throw torch at neighbours cat!
20 Test all lights and leave white finger prints on dashboard from powder in gloves, try to clean off with macdonalds napkin and leave bits of tissue on dashboard.
21 stop my cat from going into neighbours house as there cat will put it down the vets again.

Can't see why they made it so difficult to change a bulb! but while doing this i noticed how difficult it could be to change an indicator bulb, These should be long lifers but they will fade and require replacing sometime!.
If i was following the handbook then it would be a workshop job and turn out costly. Changed bulbs many times and this one was the most difficult by a long way.
:(
progress.gif

First off, great write up lol

Second, I had a look at the headlights when I brought mine and it does look like an effort with the limited access! My friend has a mk1 TT, and that is even worse for access and he was required to pay £22 to get a headlight bulb replaced by Audi! So ridiculous!

Glad you managed it in the end, but surely there must be an easier way :(

Ok so pretty standard headlights on my A3, lots of early mornings to do on dark country roads! I know i'll just upgrade the bulbs as Halfords have a two for one on their extra brilliance bulbs. But hang on the sidelights will look yellow with extra white headlights, ok buy new sidelights easy done.

1. Drop wife to be at station with her best mate and send to Leeds with credit card.
2. Park car nose in half way in Garage.
3. remove bulb covers check location of connectors
4. Put rubber gloves on to protectbulbs.
5. change dipped beam and main beam bulbs easy all done.
6. The Sidelights!
7. Can't see easy way of getting to the bulbs?
8. Check user manual, Should be completed by Audi workshop not a DIY job. ******** I can do this, there only bulbs!
9. Can't get fingers to bulb connector as access to tight,
10. Assess taking headlights out, loosen top of grill, find spline screws to release headlamp. Home tool box hasn't got extra long spline keys (there in my box at work) its saturday afternoon can't be bothered to drive to work and back.
11. Modify old flat scewdriver to fit splines. and release headlamps. They won't come out maybe have to take front bumper off to do this without damage. Shout and chase next door neighbours cat from house thats looking to bully our cat again.
12. Drop torch into belly pan. struggle for another ten minutes to get torch without removing belly pan. (find metal clip also in belly pan)
13. Stop have a cup of tea and a smoke and discuss with self i am not stipping down the front of the car to change sidelight bulbs! Shout at cat again.
14. OK time to get cunning. replace all screws and seals on front of car.
15 Use a small flat blade scewdriver then a larger one and torch(don't drop it into the belly pan again) and slowly and gently work connector loose while standing in a almost bent in double upside down position slowly aggrevating dodgy disk in back.
16 bulb nearly loose it will just pull out.
17 replace bulb and refit while looking through front of headlamp. one down.
18 repeat process as quickly as possibe on off side light before back gives up. (including dropping torch and screwdriver into belly pan)
19 Throw torch at neighbours cat!
20 Test all lights and leave white finger prints on dashboard from powder in gloves, try to clean off with macdonalds napkin and leave bits of tissue on dashboard.
21 stop my cat from going into neighbours house as there cat will put it down the vets again.

Can't see why they made it so difficult to change a bulb! but while doing this i noticed how difficult it could be to change an indicator bulb, These should be long lifers but they will fade and require replacing sometime!.
If i was following the handbook then it would be a workshop job and turn out costly. Changed bulbs many times and this one was the most difficult by a long way.
:(
progress.gif

Brilliant , so i am not alone , you need the hands of a 5 year old i found that works.

Hmm I have just ordered new head light blubs and side lights.
Sounds like im going to have fun fitting them

It's true....they are tight, but I managed it on my last A3, without removing anything. It's not impossible and only took 5-10 minutes.

I just ordered apair of mains and dips and they give you the sides free....mow i know why :laugh:

That all sounds abit of an overkill!

they are fiddly, I just removed the covers, located the wires and then tugged them with long nose pliers, swapped and used the pliers to push them back in.

putting them back in was easy, just turn them on and locate them by looking through the front of the headlamp and where the light is. 5 mins each side.

Ok ive just had look at mine sidelight going to be bitch but think can do it.
Im going make myself sound like a thick T**t now. But just don't want to break anything.
On dipped headlight there's a metal ring with 3 tabs do i push them in? i can't seam to get it to release the bulb.
Didnt think i had fat fingers till now.

On dipped headlight leave connector on and gently push down on connector, bulb should just pop out, reverse for refitting.
Slim