ARB: H&R vs. Eibach

MarkSport

A3 2.0TDI 170bhp PhantomBlack
Reaction score
Website
www.audisportfans.com
Hey Guys,

I have Eibach Pro Kit and OEM Dampers.
Next months i will replace by Coils, maybe Weitec/KW V1.

I want to buy a good ARB set.

I have been checking on AwesomeGti, and H&R ARB is mucher expensive as Eibach.

justified to pay more ?

Guys i have a question regarding the eibach springs. What is the difference between the Eibach Pro Kit model and the SportLine one?

Many thanks.

@MarkSport - could you please post a pic with your car to see how lowered is your car ?

Thanks!

Personally we find the H&R ARBs better quality and slightly lighter but they are a fair chunk more then the Eibach's which are a really good set of bars. As mentioned, the Whiteline are also worth considering.

Damian @ DPM Performance

I have had both Eibach & H&R, what can I tell you.

1st of all goto Damian@dpm mate, far better service than Awesome IMHO, also a great chap to.

Eibach seemed to knock on the rear & wasnt fitment, fitting rear made a tremendous difference, but knocking was so damn annoying, so swapped to H&R, rear knocking went away but then got a front knocking, now I had gone for the 28mm, so I downgraded to the 26mm front & no more knocking at all & also adjusted the fitment slightly & ground down part of the subframe as the raised pointed area where casting was joined together during manufacturing by audi, was the issue on knocking IMHO, so would actually say its possible the 28mm would have been 100% tbh, such is life.

But overall I'm extremely happy with the H&R's now & also service from Damian.

No its not important to use same brand, I have Eibach Pro 30mm springs, Koni FSD shocks & H&R ARB's all from dpm.

I bought my H&R ARBs from Damian at DPM a couple of weeks ago - they are superb. Well worth the extra £££. (Great service and price from Damian too).

The Whiteline ARBs fitted without trouble, no knocking. I fitted the 24mm adjustable front and rear. I have the front on full soft and the rear on the middle setting. It suits me really well, almost no understeer and really nice balance. The Whiteline ARBs are slightly shorter than the German offerings by taking out the bend that is needed for the Quattro versions. This means that the 24mm will be comparable with German 26ish mm in roll resistance but with slightly lower weight. From memory, I paid around £175 each. The Whiteline WALK cost me £150..........

TBH boycie ask jamiekip about the H&R arb's, as he said they were great on his S3, for sake of £140 I'd want the best tbh on that car

I have H+R front and rear ARBs fitted which made the car handle a lot better and was a very good quality looking piece of kit. I come from a Seat forum where people used to have knocking issues with Eibach plus H+R are well know for producing very good quality stuff. Every tuning company i know tell me Whiteline stuff is cheap for a reason and to stay away from it, you get what you pay for same as hottuning coilovers on ebay are cheap for a reason.

I have H+R front and rear ARBs fitted which made the car handle a lot better and was a very good quality looking piece of kit. I come from a Seat forum where people used to have knocking issues with Eibach plus H+R are well know for producing very good quality stuff. Every tuning company i know tell me Whiteline stuff is cheap for a reason and to stay away from it, you get what you pay for same as hottuning coilovers on ebay are cheap for a reason.

I've never had any problems with the Whiteline stuff. It has always done exactly 'what it said on the tin'. I've read a lot of their technical papers on their website and found them very informative. I know from experience that both Eibach and H&R are very good manufacturers but I like the way Whiteline innovate with sound technical foundation. To compare them with cheap coilovers is a bit unfair. Whiteline is clearly a manufacturer that designs products that work well in my experience.

Would like to check if any of you gents have had only the rear ARB's fitted? I know someone who had the KW front and rear ARB's fitted, but through experimentation, found that only the rear ARB's were truly necessary. In the end, he removed the front ARB's and found handling and ride comfort to be much improved.

I'm thinking of getting the H&R Front n Rear ARB's but am little hesitant based on his input. Otherwise I may just get the rear fitted. Is ride comfort substantially affected with both front and rears? I'm currently driving a stock S3 8P

Comments?

What is the diameter of the standard front ARB on your S3? I tried my Whiteline 24mm front ARB on harder settings and found it increased understeer. It was best on the soft setting. So you might well be right that an uprated rear ARB and standard front ARB is the best solution.......... On my old Mk4 Golf I found that fitting only a rear ARB was best as well.

A thicker front bar will increase understeer and a thicker rear bar will increase oversteer. This is why you have to get the correct combination to get a balanced handling car.

Damian @ DPM Performance