What spare wheel do you get?

VWAddict

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
What' spare wheel do you get in the UK, and how is it secured?

Here in the US we get a 'space-saver' spare which is speed-limited to 45MPH. -Not acceptable to me.

So I bought a matching spare wheel and tyre, but the hold-down screw only 'reaches' the height of a space-saver.

Mine is only in there and not bouncing around because of a 'friction-fit' and the bubble-wrap on top.

I wondered if anyone got a full-sized spare in the UK or Europe, and if so, how is it secured in place?

My trunk (boot) pics, for reference: -It's a Sportback in case that makes a difference.

Tire-Bay-with-bubble.jpg

...and underneath:
Tire-Bay-no-bubble.jpg

Keith

We get the spacer saver here too in Europe

Why is it not acceptable? It is acceptable by your countries health and safety standards and is safe to use until you get it replaced.

The space saver wheel should always be put on the back wheel of the car.

Is the foam part that you have added to the boot a standard Audi item. I, like you, don't like to rely on the spare saver that comes with my Sportback, especially when I take my car on holiday to Germany and Austria. I have a spare allow wheel but sometimes I have to put it inside the car as their is not enough room in the boot.

With regard to the hold down bolt. My earlier A3s, 1997 and 1999 had a plastic 'bolt' with a large handle similar to the one used for holding the space saver but longer to suit a full size spare that was provided at that time. These may be still available from a dealer.

Try to fit the wheel facing down. Then the hold down bolt might do the job.
Usually the rim will not touch the body and won't scratch.

Because I don't want to be restricted to 45MPH.

;)

Keith

I agree. It probably not too much of a problem if your only driving fairly locally but if, like me, you are driving from home to Germany and then on the following day to Austria, the last thing you want is to be restricted by a space-saver, which is why whenever I do that journey I always take a full size spare with me.

I often make the journey across France and into Germany on a Sunday and you try and find a tyre depot in France open at the weekend.

If there is not sufficient room for the full size spare in the boot, because it's full of luggage and other things I put it into the large plastic bag that comes as part for the tool-kit (for putting the full size wheel into if you get a puncture and have to use the space-saver) and carry the wheel behind the passenger seat. I would much rather do that and spent a few minutes changing the wheel and then be able to carry on driving as normal that be restricted to 50mph and 50 or so miles.

With regard to the hold down bolt. My earlier A3s, 1997 and 1999 had a plastic 'bolt' with a large handle similar to the one used for holding the space saver but longer to suit a full size spare that was provided at that time. These may be still available from a dealer.

Hmmm... that's interesting news.

We never got the 8L A3 over here, so I don't know if the dealerships will have access to the part number... or even be able to get the part.

Any way someone can look up that part number for me? -I'll be over in England in the next couple of weeks, and it'd be great to pick one up to see if it'll fit.

Cheers,

Keith

Oh -meant to say earlier: one reason that I don't like the 45MPH maximum 'doughnut' tyre is that the MINIMUM speed limit on most interstates around here is 50MPH...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limits_in_the_United_States

Florida's minimum speed limit on Interstate Highways is now 50 mph in most 70 mph zones

abotu half of my daily commute is 50MPH minimum, -I can imagine that if I had to travel a long distance int he evening or weekend, specially through the Auostrada or Autobahn restricted to the same speed, it would be utter hell!

Keith

Following on from this I have just ordered the 3 pieces to fit round a full-size spare under the luggage area cover from my dealer. My full-size spare fits into the wheel well in the luggage area OK and I just need the new bits to get an even floor arrangement.

How much space do you loose? (how higher is the floor mat with the full sized spare)

How much space do you loose? (how higher is the floor mat with the full sized spare)

Not sure exactly but around a couple of inches, depending on the size of tyre on the spare wheel. Mine are 205 wide tyres. I let you know more accurately when the bits arrive from Audi.

Not much room in the floor if you have a quattro, due to the raised boot floor, so i carry a can of tyre wrecking foam just incase i haven't the time to use the bicycle wheel audi provide. The AA once refused to fit one on my mums honda saying it was unsafe! at any speed.....:eyebrows:

I'm quite sure my space-saver was 60mph limit, unless i mis-read 60kmh. Either way it was fine for me driving a further 40 miles home at 80-90.

Nothing. Same height in my car.

the space-saver has a couple of inches of dead, wasted space above it, and the floor sits at the same height.

Keith

Did you car come with the bits that hold the jack and tools around the outside of the spare as standard.

Mine doesn't have those, yet, and the floor sits right down on top of the space saver spare.