A3 24 hour street @ Audi Tech Day

warren_S5

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Not new, we've seen it before, but here are a few more details on the ugly duckling A3:

007__scaled_600_062.jpg

Linky: http://www.fourtitude.com/news/publish/Features/article_5367.shtml

And let the controversial opinions commence.....

A quick bit of maths...

A std S3 produces 182 bhp/ton
That 24 is producing 257 bhp/ton
AMitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX FQ360 produces 260bhp/ton !!
So for a std S3 to match that 24 it would need to produce 380bhp...

This really demonstrates that its far cheaper to lose weight than to add power ;-) and needless to say even if you got your S3 to 380HP it would still never match a car weighing nearly 1/4 ton less...

Last edited:
I always thought (somewhat ignorantly), that the A(2/3/4/5/6/8) prefix Audi's had some aluminium body panels (hence weight saving) factored in.

Even VW's little Lupo GTi had aluminium wings, door skins and bonnet.

The A3 has reduced some of the unsprung weight by fitting aluminium suspension parts, but then Audi have not bothered to clad its shell with any. The TT gets some. The A8 get some. The R8 gets some.

Weight savings improve MPG, reduce tyre wear, improve handling, increase acceleration, reduce braking distance, reduces CO2 outputs, improve ride quality.... It should be the way forwards, but unfortunately....

it reduces overall safety unless they get inventive with materials. The great catch 22.

Ironically, the winter edition of Audi Magazine dropped on the floor this morning and has an article (albeit small) on weight. Couldn't be bothered to type so took a picture. It appears though that only top end Audi's get the Aluminium treatment but in the future who knows?

P1000520.jpg

It was a quote from Heinrich Timm who runs Audi's lightweight design centre

Last edited:
Warren
===========
"it reduces overall safety unless they get inventive with materials. The great catch 22."
===========

not necessarily because if you reduce weight you reduce inertia :)

How can it look eh...like you say..? Its an S3 with the fog lamps blanked off !!!!

Last edited:
Stick crap stuff stuff on sometthing nice and the whole effect is ruined.

Like a moustashe on Angelina Jolie, same fit bird......but kinda spoilt.

Oh come on, it doesnt look far of anyother A3 on the road albeit a few very minor visual changes, but overall its still an 8P & majority of it to, so does that mean our cars also look crap to???

I think we all realise it wasnt all about looks for this car but performance, lets not get away from the point of it, the fog surrounds are a great idea for more air, very aerodynamic design & I believe thats what Jonnyc did to his golf didnt he for his twintercooler or whatever he had installed for him that week.

Given its a race car I think its very tame compared to anyothers I've seen on tracks, very tame.

Know where your coming from Nigel but..............

An 8p with the power/weight ratio of an Evo IX......is not very tame :)

Okkkkkkkk, to clarify further, Styling wise tame as hell, power wise no fecking way thats tame hey Pat, lmao

I like the look of the brakes

016__scaled_600_031.jpg

Tame !! look out for Attenbourgh trying to film that mating :) ( this sentence has been cleaned up for staz) :yes:

where they saved a lot of the weight is by junking the 4WD but i bet with that power through the front wheels its a bit eh..naf ?