Will the new S5 mirrors fit the S3?

RicoS3

Sprint Blue is the new Ibis!
Reaction score
Hi all,

Met up with Japper recently as he is speccing a similar S3 to mine.

We got talking about the mirrors, what big "ears" they are, how bad the folding, etc.

I was reading on RS6.com about new mirrors the S5 has now got. Am I right in thinking that the S3 and S4 mirrors are the same and used to be the same as the S5's?

Anyway, here is the thread, they look a whole lot slimmer and at the bottom of the first page you'll see the better folding:

http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18299

None of this will resolve the manual folding p1sh, lack of extra function, etc. that has been discussed in another thread, but just thinking that this could be a decent mod...:think:

Anyone know anything in relation?

Cheers,

Rich :icon_thumright:

Great to meet you Rich.

Looking at the pics closely it looks like the mounting plate ( triangular base ) is shaped differently, hence i doubt this is a straight swap. The existing mirrors may well be the same shape but fear the mounting area is unique between A3, A4 & A5.

Hope i'm wrong because this would be a neat mod.................albeit a pricey one.

Yeah the shape will be completely different and the mounting holes in a different position no doubt. I'm sure it's not impossible but it's a lot of money to put up front!

The mirrors aren't THAT big in the flesh anyway :shrug:

For general information the older S5 mirrors will fit the 8P3 as I bought some for my 8p3 cabriolet which has now been sold.

The newer MY2010 A5 has a slimmer mirror, the same as my new MY2010 A4. (not sure whether they are the same part number though)

There not that much smaller really. I've taken a picture of both mirrors together. (for the avoidance of doubt the older mirror is at the back and not fitted!). They are level with each other on the bottom but are a slighter different shape:

P1000518.jpg

P1000517.jpg

I'm selling my 8P3 mirror caps if anyone is interested they can be found in the classifieds section. They come complete with the LED indicator lights and are painted in brilliant red.

http://audi-sport.net/classifieds/showproduct.php/product/3978/cat/20

P10005132.jpg

Last edited:
1st I'd like to say ballshavics, lol, I was just updating my mirrors to the newer dumbos & now they do newer ones, lol.

Anyway it seems Japper is spot on & from my research for my updating, not a chance in hell mate unless you mod an existing 8P mounting triangle plate with the new S5 plate, kinda hybrid & as they're strengthened by alum frame inside anyway that would be fun to do, not impossible but certainly fun, given the 8P has a different size/shape plate to the other chassis, the only common parts are the internals on most mirrors except the new slimmer ones you're discussing here.

They seem to have also resdesigned the folding aswell, so they dont look like they fold in sideways as such, they seem to twist up slightly whilst moving sideways like the bmw ones do (neil can you confirm mate), which allows a thinner profile aswell against the car anyway, the older dumbo ears were the same interms of covers, folding chassis & dimming etc, but not chassis fitment, even the 8P cabrio has a different base plate/mounting to the doors than the other 8P's, so unless they actually do some for the 8P then not a mod worthwhile if looking for plugnplay, cause qiite simply they arent.

PS. Neil look at the gap of the arch & the wheels & the height, come on you're letting ASN down, lol, also have they put grab handles on the doors now as the VW's have instead of the pull up ones, dear oh dear is this another VAG money saving idea.

seem to twist up slightly whilst moving sideways like the bmw ones do (neil can you confirm mate)

Sorry Nigel but before you dis my car anymore, I don't have folding mirrors lol.

Neil look at the gap of the arch & the wheels & the height, come on you're letting ASN down, lol, also have they put grab handles on the doors now as the VW's have instead of the pull up ones, dear oh dear is this another VAG money saving idea.

Crikey, I've only had her 3 weeks today, give me a chance. Anyway I'm totally skint now, I've only got money for some door warning lights if I could figure out the wiring hint hint!

Oh, and bye the way, I've just enabled needle sweep - just to make you A3 owners jealous :)

:beerchug:

Sorry Nigel but before you dis my car anymore, I don't have folding mirrors lol.

Crikey, I've only had her 3 weeks today, give me a chance. Anyway I'm totally skint now, I've only got money for some door warning lights if I could figure out the wiring hint hint!

Oh, and bye the way, I've just enabled needle sweep - just to make you A3 owners jealous :)

:beerchug:

lol, me dis ur car, not a chance slim, but they manually fold no, any chance posting pic to see if they foldup manually the same as previous versions, call me curious (if not nosey, lol)

Mate I havnt forgotten honest, I still have your email marked as unread & I have read it as you're aware, so I know I have to deal with, having issue with my logmein system in UK as I remote it anyway for my day to day things from italy, as soon as resolved will get onto elsawin for you.

Needle sweep, no comment (bar steward, lol)

Here you go Nigel

P1000522.jpg

P1000523.jpg

Nosey? Never! :thumbsup:

the mirrors on my A5 are massive, they're like lorry mirrors it was one of the first things i noticed when sitting inside the car, would hate to have them on my S3, it'd look ridiculous!!!

I assume the S5 ones are smaller to avoid the "big ears" look?

Dont mess with the dumbo ears, I will destroy you (Zohan addition)

Mate I can see him even from here & I'm in italy.

The "ears" aren't that bad to be fair. Cheers Japper et al for taking a closer look. Could've been a nice wee mod, no luck though. New 4 and 5's look good however.