Going to 19s

LukeHS3

Reaction score
thinking of coming from 18s and going upto 19"
but does it affect performance and handling much?

Cheers

I pm'd you on VAGOC no reply. Yes it does effect, but what u lose in handling you gain in looks.

i dont think i got it mate, or must have missed it somehow!

will look now

Reportedly the handling is affected by fitting larger alloys but unless you plan on doing numerous track events or the roads around you are particularly bad the 19" will always look better - FACT.

Amazing really that 18" are considered small now, I had my first set of 18" on a Golf Gti back in 2001 and they looked HUGE at the time :)

Ideal scenario imo, funds allowing, would be a set of 19" for looks and road use and a light set of 18" for track abuse.

When you say handling are you referring to the car's comfort?

I mean i already think that the Sline suspension on my car is hard... but i take it adding 19's will be backbreaking is this correct?

Alisdair

Mine is lowered on 19s with 235/35/19 profile tyres

The ride is not harsh but when you hit bumps, you know. I am 24 though and have had lowered cars all my days and love it - the best suspension set up I have had in any car.

Mine is lowered on 19s with 235/35/19 profile tyres

The ride is not harsh but when you hit bumps, you know. I am 24 though and have had lowered cars all my days and love it - the best suspension set up I have had in any car.

Mine is also lowered on 19"s, 65mm all round on KW V2 adjustable coilovers, dampening is currently set to half way hard. I'm running 215/35/19 Pirelli P Zero Neros on a 19" x 8.5J rim.

The ride is firm, but solid and planted. The drive with coilovers is 1000000 times better than the stock S-Line setup, that was very harsh and crashy.

All depends in what your after, but I love the ride and the look of my car, I would turn the dampenin down, but I still give it the old "spirited drive" through corners so its saying :laugh:

So you recommend coil overs then nate ?

If you are going to be constantly tuning your suspension / adjusting ride height / corner weighting / track racing your car the coilovers are fine.

However the misnomer is that they are the best course of action for the motorist who wants to fit and forget.

In recent years coilovers at the high end of the market have been INOX stainless coated. Why? Reason is because the salt and moisture that gets inside the arches causes significant corrosion to the adjustable parts of coilovers and then they are good for nothing.

Ideally coilovers should really be serviced annually.

If you are unlikely to change your set up (which lets face it 95% of people don't once they are fitted), then they are excess to requirement and the same job can be managed with high quality spring damper configurations.

There is a whole further dimension in terms of if you start fiddling with the kit, and your not a suspension geometry expert with all the right kit are you making it better or worse, but I'll leave that side of the equation to speak for itself.