Common issues?

jz1489

Reaction score
Hi,
im just looking at purchasing a 2005 a3 2.0 tdi sport.
Just wondering if you have come accross any issues i should look out for?
cheers,
James

Juddery at idle - suggests knackered flywheel

Potential slippy clutch so test for that

check the glove box opens slowly and smoothly - these break regularly

Get up to boost then let go quickly, if you hear a coooo noise or something like sounds like a stall, the turbo could be on the way out

Check that the econ light doesnt stay on permanently - this could indicate just a simple fuse blown or a dodgey throttle body

Overall, pretty bullet proof cars, mine (parents now) has 90k+ on the clock and going strong!

Head cracking on early 2005 model BKD engines. There was a sticky on this site with the engine numbers to look out for but cannot find it now.

Urrrm a cooooo noise, can you be a tad more explanatory Andy as my new hybrid has a kind of spinning down air noise when I stick foot down then let go quickly, you referring to this?

Urrrm a cooooo noise, can you be a tad more explanatory Andy as my new hybrid has a kind of spinning down air noise when I stick foot down then let go quickly, you referring to this?

Nope thats normal mate.

As always Mike, thanks for your input mate.

Its just my old turbo didnt do this & the new hybrid isnt even custom mapped yet, so wondered why it was doing this now as never experienced it before on my car.

As long as it sounds like THIS it`s the waste gate opening. Your hearing it now as the new turbo even though not mapped is making more boost which makes more noise when the waste gate opens. Your running about 1.6 bar peak at the moment. You should have come for a ride in my car when it was running 2.2bar peak new rebuild hopefully running 3 bar peak. :eyebrows:

Turbo compressor surge sounds the same but is totally different thing which you don`t want to hear your turbo doing as HERE .

Check how it starts when Hot and cold!
Oh count how many rattles!
If Aircon works
Check display between to speedo and rev counter hasn't got pixels gone or a line down it .
If it's a 3 door check the front seats that they will fold over and slide forward / Mine would never slide forward then folded.

As long as it sounds like THIS it`s the waste gate opening. Your hearing it now as the new turbo even though not mapped is making more boost which makes more noise when the waste gate opens. Your running about 1.6 bar peak at the moment. You should have come for a ride in my car when it was running 2.2bar peak new rebuild hopefully running 3 bar peak. :eyebrows:

Turbo compressor surge sounds the same but is totally different thing which you don`t want to hear your turbo doing as HERE .

I think its the 1st so will do some checks tomorrow.