A3 cabriolet pro's and con's

chiefwiggumpi

Reaction score
As the title says.....

Colleague at work is looking at an A3 Cabriolet and would like some comments on pro's and con's of the car. Ive had one as a courtesy car full spec and my opinion was the boot opening is small but then again you dont buy it as a large family car. She currently drives a BMW 320d m sport and is thinking of swapping to the audi brand so any advice would be appreciated and we can show the car park at work what a quality car looks like :o.k:

She already has a quality car :p

A mate of mine has a basic A3 cab and it's nice! The only downside I can see is it has a pair of tombstones in the back, and I've read that the top wears out funny on some cars :meeting:

There were definately some threads on here where new A3 cabrio roofs were wearing prematurely in certain places. I doubt it applies to all of them (my m8's car is over a year old and it's fine) but there were a couple of owners of nearly-new ones who had wear patches over areas of the hood frame...poor show! :no:

According to news item on the internet this morning, driving a convertible can seriously damage your ears...

"Cruising with the top down at speeds of 50-70mph (80-112km/h) exposes the ears to sound levels sometimes nearing those made by a pneumatic drill, they argue.
Long or repeated exposure to this noise of the engine, road, traffic and wind could cause permanent hearing loss, a US meeting of ENT experts was told.
Researchers said convertible drivers should consider wearing some form of ear protection, as motorcyclists do".

Probably nowhere near as bad for your ears as the volume some people use with the car stereo!!

According to news item on the internet this morning, driving a convertible can seriously damage your ears...

"Cruising with the top down at speeds of 50-70mph (80-112km/h) exposes the ears to sound levels sometimes nearing those made by a pneumatic drill, they argue.
Long or repeated exposure to this noise of the engine, road, traffic and wind could cause permanent hearing loss, a US meeting of ENT experts was told.
Researchers said convertible drivers should consider wearing some form of ear protection, as motorcyclists do".

Probably nowhere near as bad for your ears as the volume some people use with the car stereo!!

US researchers find something else that's fun, and try to ruin it for everyone shocker :gun2:

Pros - I'd sooner have any Audi (Even an A2) than a BMW so its all good

Cons - Expensive, looks a bit like a skip with the roof down :)

Personally I'd get a VW EOS instead, much better looking, cheaper, Folding hard top with glass sunroof is a great idea.

Cheers lads for the comments ill pass them on. Got to say not my cup of tea and it does look like a female car but as for the "tombstones" she doesnt mind them. As for the whole "look" well that might just put her off, cheers lee not thought of the eos so ill throw that in aswell.

As for driving a convertible can damage your ears, i doubt we will get the sun hot enough or long enough to get up to 50-70 mph. Im just not sure see the point of a convertible in this country :unsure:

I've just sold mine as I needed a little more room.

I don't have any real negatives for the A3 convertible, I thoroughly enjoyed mine and had the roof down at every available moment. My advice would be to definately buy the S-Line, they look so much better.

The boot is adequate and you can just about fit a normal sized suit case in there, but nothing else! The roof doesn't take up any boot space and you can have the roof up within 9 seconds should it start to rain and you don't have to stop like you do on most cars (19mph max I believe).

My roof didn't shown any signs of wear but there was a tendancy for water to come in when you opened the door (No gutters in the roof edges!!).

Yes I did look at the EOS aswell, but having had VW before it was a little boring and common. They will probably be phasing them out soon with the introduction of the Golf Cabriolet. S-line tipped the scale on looks definately. (I know there are allot of A3 Cabriolet haters out there :moa:)

According to 'what car' they do hold their money well. I also only lost £350 (or so) on mine in twelve months although I did get a discount when purchased new.

The same sorts of things apply as to other cars, I was disappointed that I never added a few extras when I bought mine and retro fitted allot afterwards. Xenons are a must I think.

My Ideal cabriolet would be the A5/S5 if I could afford one

:racer:

As for the whole "look" well that might just put her off

whats the point in asking the question then?

(QUOTE] Im just not sure see the point of a convertible in this country [/QUOTE]

:banghead:

Cheers PNS. I know what you mean about the A5 but she thinks it might be too big. I agree xenons a must havng now got them on my A3 sportback.

As for "i dont see the point of a convertible" thats just my opinion the comments people write are for a colleague the car is not for me. Ive had one as a courtesy car and it rattled like hell but then again maybe thats just convertibles since theyre not a hard top i dont know i dont own one. I dont think she wants a family car so the A3 cab might just suit. I deffo suggest the s line trim cheers for the comments.

Last edited:
Your welcome mate, it did rattle a bit come to think of it, but I did enjoy it.

I'm a bit defensive, get a bid fed up of people saying its a girl car (now waitng for more abuse!!)

Who cares:)

Each to there own thats what I say

:respekt:

No chance of your new motor being mistaken for a "female" car got to say :respekt:.

Only joking about the cabriolet being a females car it could as easily be driven by a male hairdresser......:lmfao:joke joke joke....

Seriously mate only having a laugh ill consider myself told off :asskicking:. As for comments theyre all appreciated ill be passing them on to my colleague and should i need any more info i know who to ask! Seriously though youre new motor :hubbahubba: nice!