My AMDEssex Makeover

S3-Paul

Reaction score
Firstly thanks to just017 for kicking off the group-buy.

Having recently fitted a Forge CAI and DV I went to AMD last Wednesday to have a full resonated Milltek system fitted and a REVO stage 2 map.
Agreed to have the first dyno run after Milltek fitted to save waiting for existing system to cool before it could be changed. After AMD's 4hr makeover I got the results of the 2 dyno runs, if the first 'standard' (stock map, forge CAI & DV, full Milltek) run was a bit of a surprise at 315bhp/299lb/ft, the second was definitely more than I had hoped for at 373bhp/356lb/ft - I thought this was stage 2+ territory.

My initial thoughts, on the road a real jekyll and hyde, no different to standard when you want to go with the flow, but in a different league when you go for it. On the track (118 miles on Saturday) now a real weapon which can punch well above it's weight.

Questions I'm yet to answer are; how long is the clutch going to stand the abuse, do I really need stage 2+, how far above 7000rpm is the REVO rev-limiter set.

That's the highest stage 2 figure I've heard of!

Thats a cracking dyno result. My clutch is still stock and it's holding up fine.... I've done 3K on stage 2+. Seems ok for now.

those are some serious gains!!. are you shure that those numbers aren't "pumped"?? my car has cai and full milltek system, i can feel improvement, but i wouldn't say it has about 40-50hp over stock!

Not that I'm knocking your results but that does sound a little optimitstic and maybe a bit of Dyno lottery going on.

So long as your happy and the car is running fine then its all good, I would just be a little suprised if the figures were accurate.

That is higher than any of us Stage 2+ blokes have with the fuel pump specific software. Amazing. Based on that alone - don't change what you have. My clutch fried after 4k miles on Stage 2+. Been running a Sachs clutch ever since - fantastic upgrade if you can justify the £1.2k cost.

That is higher than any of us Stage 2+ blokes have with the fuel pump specific software. Amazing. Based on that alone - don't change what you have. My clutch fried after 4k miles on Stage 2+. Been running a Sachs clutch ever since - fantastic upgrade if you can justify the £1.2k cost.

Have to agree....higher than I'm getting with the HPFP and Stage 2+....air temperature and how well the car is tied down etc do make a difference,but even so,an extraordinary result.

Clutch....if it's the OEM LUK clutch,it will go,and mine lasted for about 5k miles treating it reasonably gently.

Like Iggu,I've got the Sachs,which apart from being a bit heavier,and not liking being slipped in traffic,it's fine,and handles the torque well.

Last edited:
S,R88PER,Iggu and S3Alex I can understand your scepticism of the figures, both runs are significantly higher than I had ever anticipated, I can’t recall seeing any posts with Stage 2 to Stage 2+ dyno run comparisons, but you will see from the graphs below I have a mid range dip which I assume would be removed with HPFP & Stage 2, but with very little gain at top end.

I did a lot of searching and reading on this forum before deciding to go for REVO map and getting AMD to do the work, AMD appear to have a good reputation and whilst I can’t recall any other instances where their results appeared optimistic, I’m not hung-up on the headline figures, what’s important to me is the real-world improvement over standard, which in my opinion is amazing and moved the car into a different league.

Few quick examples of real world performance (good and bad) from trackday last weekend. For information venue is an active RAF base, so combines twisty bits using perimeter roads and a very long straight using the main runway, surface mixture of concrete and tarmac.
Good Bits 1. Dicing for a few laps with a Saab 9000 aero with Abbot Motorsport turbo/engine mods (reputed 350+) and running slicks, until one of his front tyres delaminated on main straight. He had his video running the whole time so maybe making my Youtube debut shortly. 2 Having caught a AM Vantage and then passing it when he got a tank slapper on going onto main straight, his expression when describing how he was giving it everything it’d got and barely able to hang onto me for the following laps was priceless. 3 Ignoring the inaccuracies I’d previously struggled getting an indicated 150 on digital speedo when going for a Vmax on main straight, this time 167 and still pulling well before reaching braking zone.
Bad Bits 1 fuel consumption dropping from 15s average to mid 11 mpg. 2 well worn road tyres are no longer up to the job, going to have to consider getting some trackday tyres. 3 despite gently getting everything up to temperature/speed during first couple of laps get clutch slip start of each session the first couple of times I nail it.

Apologises if my post has rambled on a bit

866286009424c75f1b3cd87ef41b782cb281ed45d159d8574a7508a6e5009ad0c0b3e6b4.jpg

3665659302693776f19f924ebbbca7835319d25c070f1e246ee589cf90ec0bf64e51dd6c.jpg

My S3 got treated to a stage 1 REVO map by AMDESSEX last Friday and I think it is fair to say that I am very very very pleased
evilgrin.gif

AMD were very professional and gave me a brilliant service, I will certainly be taking my car to them for future work as I have now started my descent down the slippery slope!

They gave my car four runs on the dyno, the first one being standard and three remapped runs. It was interesting to see how the ECU adapts with each remapped run - each run seems to get a little smoother and produce a little more power. By the fourth run my car was producing a whopping 331 BHP and 339 lbft!!!

I do take dyno numbers with a pinch of salt though and am well aware of the different results seen between dynos. What I will say is that I measured the pre remap output of my car with vcds block 120 and it came out at 280 BHP and AMD's standard dyno run of my car came out at 282 BHP so very similar.

amdessex_revo_stage_1.jpg

S3-Paul we should meet up some time and see how our two cars compare. I live in Bury St Edmunds so hopefully not too far from you? Am also thinking about doing some track days with my car, was considering Snetterton as it is pretty close.

All looks good if you ask me.... provided the car was cool with good fuel and fed nice cool air I don't see why not.
Here is a stage 2 Revo of mine with a similar dip.
3216902205_fa89ea14d0.jpg

and a stage 2+ with HPFP (smoothes out the dip)
3801275756_427834d687.jpg

S,R88PER,Iggu and S3Alex I can understand your scepticism of the figures

I didn't mean to imply any criticism at all mate - only congratulations. I am both a Revo and an AmD customer as my "build" threads will testify. I don't doubt your figs. one bit. I was just saying keep things as they are - the HPFP won't give you much more than this (if anything). Well done mate !

I didn't mean to imply any criticism at all mate - only congratulations
None taken, and sorry if it came across that way
- the HPFP won't give you much more than this (if anything).
My thinking and DeckedS3's graphs seem to support that HPFP and 2+ mainly result in removing/smoothing mid-range dip, i'll probably go this route when I have to get clutch done, not because I'm necessarily after more power, but because I don't like the idea of placing excessive demands on standard FP.
KRL said:
S3-Paul we should meet up some time and see how our two cars compare. I live in Bury St Edmunds so hopefully not too far from you? Am also thinking about doing some track days with my car, was considering Snetterton as it is pretty close.
Great idea, Bury's about an hour from me and Snetterton only half an hour, did an evening session at Snetterton last month and my mates trying to twist my arm to do another trackday there next month - think its on 16 November thro' MSV. I'll PM you after I next speak to him if your interested.

i was surprised with the number for the stage2, didn't mean anything bad, sorry if there was missunderstanding:beerchug: not all car are the same, so the figures are different. there's a guy in my area runing ed30 without hpfp but he has twintercooler and on rollers it showed 360hp!! enjoy your ride mate :respekt:

None taken, and sorry if it came across that way

My thinking and DeckedS3's graphs seem to support that HPFP and 2+ mainly result in removing/smoothing mid-range dip, i'll probably go this route when I have to get clutch done, not because I'm necessarily after more power, but because I don't like the idea of placing excessive demands on standard FP.

Great idea, Bury's about an hour from me and Snetterton only half an hour, did an evening session at Snetterton last month and my mates trying to twist my arm to do another trackday there next month - think its on 16 November thro' MSV. I'll PM you after I next speak to him if your interested.

Likewise.....I think it's an amazing result,and really does show what Shaun and the AMD guys are doing right now.

I think you'll find that the HPFP does make a real difference across the midrange,and it will remove that midrange torque dip.....where those graphs below peak at about 3000rpm and drop off after,mine is flat between 3000-5000rpm,and that I think is down to the pump.

Good result!...enjoy it until you need the clutch doing!

Having recently fitted a Forge CAI and DV I went to AMD last Wednesday to have a full resonated Milltek system fitted and a REVO stage 2 map.
Agreed to have the first dyno run after Milltek fitted to save waiting for existing system to cool before it could be changed. After AMD's 4hr makeover I got the results of the 2 dyno runs, if the first 'standard' (stock map, forge CAI & DV, full Milltek) run was a bit of a surprise at 315bhp/299lb/ft, the second was definitely more than I had hoped for at 373bhp/356lb/ft - I thought this was stage 2+ territory.

I am running the same setup- Forge CAI and DV, Miltek TBE, REVO stage 2

My question is are you getting any flutter between 3600 - 4000 revs? Ive been out in a couple of REVO'd S3' with no issues.

Some people say its normal and others say you shudent be getting it.

I am running the same setup- Forge CAI and DV, Miltek TBE, REVO stage 2

My question is are you getting any flutter between 3600 - 4000 revs? Ive been out in a couple of REVO'd S3' with no issues.
Now been running setup for nearly a fortnight, and haven't experienced any flutter

those are some serious gains!!. are you shure that those numbers aren't "pumped"?? my car has cai and full milltek system, i can feel improvement, but i wouldn't say it has about 40-50hp over stock!

we can't "pump" numbers on our dyno :no: and even if it was possible we wouldn't. We get no gains from doing this. The car came up high as a standard car, which we were suprised about it and was equally as high once modified.

logically if your going to "pump" figures you wouldn't "pump" the first figure you would keep that as low as possible then "pump" the figure after you have mapped it.

But like I say we havn't, wouldn't and can't inflate figures on the type of dyno we have.

Our dyno is usually pretty accurate tbh. e.g KTM X-bow 237bhp standard, new one on the dyno 236.6bhp.

Last edited:
we can't "pump" numbers on our dyno :no: and even if it was possible we wouldn't. We get no gains from doing this. The car came up high as a standard car, which we were suprised about it and was equally as high once modified.

logically if your going to "pump" figures you wouldn't "pump" the first figure you would keep that as low as possible then "pump" the figure after you have mapped it.

But like I say we havn't, wouldn't and can't inflate figures on the type of dyno we have.

Our dyno is usually pretty accurate tbh. e.g KTM X-bow 237bhp standard, new one on the dyno 236.6bhp.
sorry again, as i said, i didn't want to insult you guys, you've got me wrong, i was only surprised with the results. i'm glad he has such great results with the remap. :beerchug:

sorry again, as i said, i didn't want to insult you guys, you've got me wrong, i was only surprised with the results. i'm glad he has such great results with the remap. :beerchug:

No problem, we are an honest company and wouldn't want people thinking any different

We were suprised with the high standard figure with just the induction kit and full exhaust so knew once it was mapped it would be equallly as high.

its all relative as if it had come out at 265 on the dyno then after the mods it would have been up to about 323bhp which doesn't look so strange.

Why this car came out high on standard mapping we do not know as other S3's we have done (and we have done alot) are normally about right when dyno'd.

Last edited:
its all relative................
Ben
You've hit the nail on the head, whilst the headline figures are amazing, its the difference I'm experiencing that counts.
I'm obviously pleased with the results, but think I'll be needing clutch sooner rather than later.

Ben
You've hit the nail on the head, whilst the headline figures are amazing, its the difference I'm experiencing that counts.
I'm obviously pleased with the results, but think I'll be needing clutch sooner rather than later.

If you,and when you do,you know where to go.

AMD replaced mine with a Sachs,which has been fine apart from the usual things like not coping well with being slipped in traffic,and a bit heavy by comparison with the OEM item.

It does however,cope with 360lbs well.