Will clocks fit/work

vw754

vorsprung Durch Technik
Reaction score
My brother has the bog standard a3 2.0 tdi,53 plate.

There is no center display in the instrument cluster (unlike my sport model)

i was wondering.......if i get a set of used clocks and take out the center display and fit into the clocks will it work?

It would be nice to swop clocks but if im right that would be a bigger problem as the immobiliser is built in the clock.

well lets see what replys i get,if it does fit then il give you a shout.

Ive noticed youve got tt headlight switch? whats the difference?

the chrome surround, looks much better than standard a3 ones

Yep - immobiliser will need coding to match existing keys - mileage will also need correcting unless you buy a new cluster from Audi themselves and they'll sort that for you - they'll do the keys too if you go down that route...

clocks will physically fit ok but :

Yes, you will need it recoded to your ECU & keys for the immobiliser

Not sure if Audi can sort the mileage on 2nd hand units though some 3rd parties can.

You will get error messages for all the sensors you dont have connected to your car.

You would need to buy a new wiper stalk with the switch on it for the DIS too

Yep - immobiliser will need coding to match existing keys - mileage will also need correcting unless you buy a new cluster from Audi themselves and they'll sort that for you - they'll do the keys too if you go down that route...

And i bet they rape you for doing that as well

Didn't think this was possible! if i managed to get a dis version fitted in a 2.0tdi without dis, will i need extra items/sensors fitted to view mpg? Or would the car be able to use the current fuel gauge and speed?

should be ok - although the age of car may make a difference - only slight issue is the washer bottle sensor that won't be present (probably) but that pin can just be grounded to stop it beeping - as before extras required are just a different wiper stalk. I've got clocks and wiper stalk from the same project on my 56 Sportback that never got done before I sold it...

My brother has the bog standard a3 2.0 tdi,53 plate.

There is no center display in the instrument cluster (unlike my sport model)

i was wondering.......if i get a set of used clocks and take out the center display and fit into the clocks will it work?

It would be nice to swop clocks but if im right that would be a bigger problem as the immobiliser is built in the clock.

If you mean the DIS LCD only then highly unlikely given its setup for an lcd on that cluster with the pcb, you need to swap cluster over completely not just the screen IMHO.

Not sure, but I will be selling mine when i get a 09 white DIS cluster.

Yeah when doomsday cometh, lol

well lets see what replys i get,if it does fit then il give you a shout.

Ive noticed youve got tt headlight switch? whats the difference?

Its nice & shiny alum trim

Yeah it takes about 30 mins in total with test drive & they will charge in 30 minute increments if you say that to them, but you have to give passport ID, license, V5, mot, insurance & bills with address for security reasons & they wont do without these docs, also have to take all keys for recoding, they will fit old/sourced one to, just wont touch mileage

clocks will physically fit ok but :

Yes, you will need it recoded to your ECU & keys for the immobiliser

Not sure if Audi can sort the mileage on 2nd hand units though some 3rd parties can.

You will get error messages for all the sensors you dont have connected to your car.

You would need to buy a new wiper stalk with the switch on it for the DIS too

Audi wont do any mileage changes above 100km's, cant be done by them, possible by others though, rightly said if whole cluster change then immo needs matching with skc & possible rewiring with addition of stalk aswell, not impossible but bit of work & research needed, also vagcom to enable/disable highline cluster & options

And i bet they rape you for doing that as well

Not really, cant do for free can they

Yeah it takes about 30 mins in total with test drive & they will charge in 30 minute increments if you say that to them, but you have to give passport ID, license, V5, mot, insurance & bills with address for security reasons & they wont do without these docs, also have to take all keys for recoding, they will fit old/sourced one to, just wont touch mileage

That it? Worth taking it to Audi then really!

should be ok - although the age of car may make a difference - only slight issue is the washer bottle sensor that won't be present (probably) but that pin can just be grounded to stop it beeping - as before extras required are just a different wiper stalk. I've got clocks and wiper stalk from the same project on my 56 Sportback that never got done before I sold it...

Its age of car & cluster tbh, fuel senders for one on 05 facelift onwards have an extra wire to the cluster & have diffferent pump fitted, changed in late 04 which is 05 cars, so if installing later cluster 03-04 8P then need new pump & wire fitted

That it? Worth taking it to Audi then really!

oi cloth ears, I've already advised you all this many times when you were buying my 09 cluster remember numnuts, lol

& yes 100% use audi for fitment