Advice needed on 2.0Tdi engine

WKDLAD

Reaction score
Hi guy i have just sold my audi S3 8L
I have put a deposit down on an Audi A3 2.0Tdi S-line in red 19,500 miles and got it for £14,900.

This is my problem, my mates work at Audi and are mechanics there. I told them that I want to buy this car and if they can look at it for me. But all i get of them is stay clear from the 2.0tdi engines as they are crap. They say they always work on them engines and the main faults are the tandem pump going and mixing the oil with the diesel, cylinder heads leaking water, turbos going + may others. they say they get most problem 30,000-40,000 miles

Surley the engines cant be that bad?

What problems have you guys/girls had?

I am going to pick this car up on saturday so need advice asap guys. Thanks

i've got a an 06 plate with 145000 miles on the original turbo and clutch,never had to replace anything that isn't just wear and tear in the last 50k either! so unless i'm really lucky i'd say they are talking crap!

Well i hope so, taking the vag com down with me too. Its just i was really looking forward on getting this car and now they have put doubts in my mind :(

Not quite as high mileage, but mine is sitting on 46k and no trouble at all.

I bought mine at 50k miles just over a year ago and it's now almost on 80k miles.

Only problems I had with engine area is the IMF had to be replaced. But I had that replaced under warranty.

Also slight clutch slippage, but only happens when the turbo kicks in and probably due to the remap as well.

mines an 07 on 58k, the only issue I've had in the clutch/flywheel changed under warranty. Always serviced on the dot and well maintained though.

Bought my 2.0tdi with 92k on the clock, service history shows no problems whatsoever until i got the headgasket done, and did the cambelt service at the same time.

Other than that, perfect according to the history

Hmmm looks like I am going to be a tdi owner soon then :) Mine is 57reg when i get it. Just wanted to make sure that i dont have to spend anymore money on fixing it.

I had an 2001 S3 (135,000) and spent £6000 on the engine at christmas!!
Had a new cylinder head, turbo, turbo manifold, gearbox recon, + many other parts.
Just want to make sure this does not happen again.

WKDLAD

I would ignore your friends. If you ask your GP if he/she encounters many sick patients the answer will be yes.

my 2.0tdi sport bck is great got mine with 34k on had for year now no probs.. also guy's girl's looking for a good place to get a remap some one told me about a place in bristol s.w.i.c.:)t

The mechanics arent talking nonsense about the issues with the 2.0 TDI's but I think they've just made it out to be all the cars have these issues.

Yes there is a known head cracking issue but given the numbers of cars with this engine on road & the number that have cracked, you do the maths, very small indeed, also the turbo's have gone pop, but was this down to remap, heavy foot etc, also isnt on every 2.0tdi, there are other possible reasons for this happening.

But if you want peace of mind which is almost impossible even with new cars, I would get a compression test & also maybe check boosting with vagcom logs correctly & no overboost errors in vagcom, if there is then thats possibly a reason to walk away if the turbo's vanes are caked & sticking, but still not a major issue if you get it cleaned up, but as I said isnt on all cars.

Look every car has issues, so for them they would see a few & then summise its all of those ones that are faulty.

Just make sure you have a bullet proof warranty that covers turbo, head, associated pipes etc, intercooler & cat then you should be fine.

Tesco's do a premium warranty that covers all this for £400.

Thanks for your replies. I am now a new owner of a 2.0tdi a3 S-line :)

Have you used this Tesco Warranty before ?

The mechanics arent talking nonsense about the issues with the 2.0 TDI's but I think they've just made it out to be all the cars have these issues.

Yes there is a known head cracking issue but given the numbers of cars with this engine on road & the number that have cracked, you do the maths, very small indeed, also the turbo's have gone pop, but was this down to remap, heavy foot etc, also isnt on every 2.0tdi, there are other possible reasons for this happening.

But if you want peace of mind which is almost impossible even with new cars, I would get a compression test & also maybe check boosting with vagcom logs correctly & no overboost errors in vagcom, if there is then thats possibly a reason to walk away if the turbo's vanes are caked & sticking, but still not a major issue if you get it cleaned up, but as I said isnt on all cars.

Look every car has issues, so for them they would see a few & then summise its all of those ones that are faulty.

Just make sure you have a bullet proof warranty that covers turbo, head, associated pipes etc, intercooler & cat then you should be fine.

Tesco's do a premium warranty that covers all this for £400.

I have read the T&C's & seems good to me, cant see any small print & straight forward enough.

Just had a look at their website and it says that for new customers you can't purchase this warranty anymore but existing customers are unaffected.

Damn that was there last week, typical