Xenons

juicysteak

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Im looking for an A3 and xenons are pretty much a must but not many A3's have them.

I have tried searching for info on this and comments about blowing the wiper motors even from genuine audi ones that are retrofitted, is that the windscreen wiper motors?

is this an ongoing problem if aftermarket stuff is fitted even for genuine ones?
how much are genuine ones including fitting?

but then what about this business being illegal coz it is not self levelling thing?

im really confused, please advise :banghead:

Many thanks

As far as i can tell, you only ACTUALLY need the self levelling system if the car came out of the factory with the xenons on apparently.

If you fit them separately, there nothing illegal about it, but they may be bringing in newer rules about this soon. Quite when i'm not sure

I paid £450 odd for my xenons, were 2nd hand off a member on here, best mod i've done! Also uprated to bulbs to some nice 8000k from the standard 4300k

The DfT do actually say that both self-levelling and washers are required for aftermarket xenons. Also the headlamp units must be ones designed for a Xenon output and not just Xenon ouput units fitted into headlamps originally designed for halogen bulbs. Here is a link to their statement on the issue.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps

You will need Headlights with Projectors before you can fit HID's into them.

Thanks for the replies!

But u see plenty of people with aftermarket xenons without self levelling and washers fitted on the streets, what will happen them?

If i was to get a set, i would be getting the housing, full deal just wihtout washers.
So i am assuming if i get the full set it will be self levelling anyway? i will be talking nearing 1k!!?

I also have a set of Bi- Xenons , that are for sale Pm if your interested.

Is there a guide to retro fitting bi-xenons?

Would you need a new loom?

There's one kicking around somewhere, but fitting as in in place isnt the issue, its the wiring you need to amend to work correctly, there are looms you can buy, but I personally always make my own as kufatec havnt been that helpful & they dont tend to advise you of the pitfalls of not having certain modules on the car, coding etc etc.

There's loads of info on here & we're always about to help, I've done it all as per oem so have knowledge on this.

Strangely i knew a guy who put Xenons on his Astra and twice had someone pull out on him up West St in Dorking where a small bump in the road makes Xenons look like your flashing people. I would ban them in non self levelling cars. the amount of times i have felt like pulling over and slapping the guy behind who has then set wrong so they continually flash in your RVM :mad: I think i will make a list of people who drive with fog lamps on, drive while on mobile phones , and people with Xenons...then come the revolution :laugh:

never had a problem with mine, never been stopped by the police, when you get them fitted you can adjust the beam with the adjusters on the headlights. the white screw one, sorry for my bad tech jargon. any mot place will level the beam for you.

This is exactly the reason why people like Pat get peed of, you cant just set the xenons with the screws on an mot bay, you must set them into the mode 1st then use the mot lense, this is specifically why they have this feature as they could already be out of whack via the sensors anyway, its advisable to check your lights after a suspension change/upgrade just to make sure they are still within the mot spec.

but you can never beat this, for example 4x4s with factory xenons and projector lens! this is even worse as the light is at your face height in car! and when the car goes uphill pr over a bump! I must admit there are very badly fitted lights like standard halogen bulbs which are projecting the beam upwards in stead on downwards! but dimming down the aftermarket HID with the headlight screw and inside control works perfect with a brilliant 8000K ice blue colour :D in my opinion