Gear change indicator in DIS

RicoS3

Sprint Blue is the new Ibis!
Reaction score
Running around in a '59 plate S3 from the dealer as my '58 S3 is in the garage for new gear stick assembly.

Noticed that at the bottom of the DIS there is now a gear change suggestion as you get in A4, Q5, etc.

I realise this must be new to MY 2010 cars or whatever, but can this be "retrofitted" or the likes, VAGCOM?

Just looks good, that's all.

Answers on a postcard please....

ive got an early facelift and mine has it.. did you buy your car 2nd hand? if so the person before may have switched it off.. go to menu on the DIS and go to settings i think then to dials (off the top of my head) and you should have the option unticked.. ive turned mine off i hated it! i always felt like id change up and listen to it... then think i dont want to be in this gear haha

I have the updated cluster with white dis & also the newer network board on my 05 car modded in, but I have the suggested gear option ticked, but doesnt show up for me, I think its related to other modules aswell, also as mines a dsg it might just be manual, unless someone can counter my thoughts, be nice to know if its just manual related.

ive got an early facelift and mine has it.. did you buy your car 2nd hand? if so the person before may have switched it off.. go to menu on the DIS and go to settings i think then to dials (off the top of my head) and you should have the option unticked.. ive turned mine off i hated it! i always felt like id change up and listen to it... then think i dont want to be in this gear haha

The car was registered in November 2008, so I'll take a look in the settings and try figure it out. If you have it, then chances are it'll be there. Cheers anyhoo S3RYE.

Usual though, ask question first, read manual second...:think:

I have the updated cluster with white dis & also the newer network board on my 05 car modded in, but I have the suggested gear option ticked, but doesnt show up for me, I think its related to other modules aswell, also as mines a dsg it might just be manual, unless someone can counter my thoughts, be nice to know if its just manual related.

I`m pretty sure it`s only available for manual cars (MY09 ++)
The DSG`s got the same message all DSG A3`s have with D S P etc

I would also like to know if it would be possible to enable it for MY08 - - cars :)

Confirmed - gear selector is just a setting in the DIS menu. What a tube, posting a thread in this when should've just had a fiddle in the settings.

Thanks to all who replied anyway.

Rich

I`m pretty sure it`s only available for manual cars (MY09 ++)

It is available DSG's\S-TRONICS..

I have D(n), M(n) and S(n). D, M and S representing Drive, Manual and Sport respectively where n in the gear you are in, ranging from 1 to 6.

Would've liked 7 but can't have it all!

I have a 2008/57-reg S-line Sportback and one night flicking through the owner's manual I saw this function. Is it possible to turn this function on with my car?

It is available DSG's\S-TRONICS..

I have D(n), M(n) and S(n). D, M and S representing Drive, Manual and Sport respectively where n in the gear you are in, ranging from 1 to 6.

Would've liked 7 but can't have it all!

So you're saying when you have in Drive etc it also displays the gear your in at the same time aswell as the D symbol or S etc?

Photo please to clarify what you see as this might not be the same thing we're discussing.

Whats years your car?

Yes,

Lets say I'm in D (Drive) it'll display up and down 1 upto 6 and 6 down 1. If at any point I use one of the paddles on the steering wheel it'll display M (Manual).... it will stay like this for almost 5 to 8 seconds before reverting to D again.

Should I put the gearbox from D into S in the selector it says 'S' (Sport).. 1 to 6 and 6 down to one. I suspect if use the paddles again it will switch to 'M' although I haven't used the car much in Sport mode as it become a tad 'racy' and i'm still running it in.

My car's 59 09 (almost weeks old...)

Mine tells you what gear your in 123456 D or s and mines a 54 plate DSG

Not that it is of any use, its an auto so who cares what gear its in!!

Pics is always good thanks yes.

Yes,

Lets say I'm in D (Drive) it'll display up and down 1 upto 6 and 6 down 1. If at any point I use one of the paddles on the steering wheel it'll display M (Manual).... it will stay like this for almost 5 to 8 seconds before reverting to D again.

Should I put the gearbox from D into S in the selector it says 'S' (Sport).. 1 to 6 and 6 down to one. I suspect if use the paddles again it will switch to 'M' although I haven't used the car much in Sport mode as it become a tad 'racy' and i'm still running it in.

My car's 59 09 (almost weeks old...)

Let me know if you want pics from a point of view of my understanding...

Pics is always good thanks yes.

So you're saying when you have in Drive etc it also displays the gear your in at the same time aswell as the D symbol or S etc?

Photo please to clarify what you see as this might not be the same thing we're discussing.

Whats years your car?

NHN - Hope this answers some questions ...

Sorry about the quality but stuck my N95 up on the instrument cluster with a bit of blu-tac, recorded it and drove around town in a bit of traffic. Firstly it was in drive (D) for a bit, followed by sport (S) then used the paddles a bit which switches it to manual(M) for a bit before it reverts to Sport.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SVmEI7fbbw

Urm this has got me thinking, u got vagcom by any chance, would like some logs if poss please.

Well if you ever want vagcom give me a shout & if you're ever with someone that has then could you please do some logging for me so I can check your coding & adaptation channels against mine, thanks.

Spoke to the local dealer about enabling this on mine when they fitted the new cluster but they told me this can only be coded at the factory.

Does anyone know if this is possible to do through Vag-Com for MY08 cars?

Oh mines a manual by the way..

Yeah KK check my sig for local users maybe someone can do a run of your channels for me mate please.