Novice questions about Audi A3.

skullmonkey

Reaction score
Hello,
I plan to buy Audi A3 (11/2003) from a guy, and I have some questions that only pros can answer me:
1. What is the difference of Audi A3 models? (Compact, Sportback, Sport)
2. What year was the last redesign of Audi A3 model?
3. The first registration of this car is 11/2003. Is this the last model in design or there are newer?
4. Is is possible (using the serial number, or something else, I don't know) to determinate what are the performances of this specified Audi car?
5. Is there Audi A3 TD(i) with RED "i"?
6. What does the red "i" means, except more HP?

Thanks in advanced, Gorast.

Do you know if its the first of the 8P models or last of the 8L? If 8P:

1. models are 3 door hatch, 5 door sportback both can come with quattro 4 wheel drive
2. the new shape 8P model came out in 2003, facelifted in 2005ish & then again in 2009
3. as above
4. what engine is fitted?
5. yes, the diesel engine had two different engines the red 'I' had more BHP

It has 3 doors. It is 1.9 TDI with 105 hp. And has lots of additional equipment, but want to know if its possible to see whats inside.

& as he said, lol

Welcome to the site.

Never knew of an audi tdi with a red I, it was on the mk4 golf but I dont recall any audis with it, anyone else wanna enlighten me on this?

I would most definitely get a scan done on the car if its that old with vagcom (VCDS), whats the mileage, check for any smoke when test driving especially when giving a bit of throttle, check coolant levels ideally on 2 seperate occassions on cold engine if at all possible & look for any signs in engine bay for coolant leaks usually pink stains, given turbos & heads have been known to have issues, check for creaks on steering turning left to right, usually comes from the left.

Apart from this others IMHO are minor.

It has 95000km on it, and no smoke, creaks or liquid (as my mechanic said it is in great condition).
What does BHP stands for, and what is the difference between 8L and 8P models?

Thanks

By this, 11/2003 is P?

Gorast

Yes!

8P =
oem_a38p_ZZ.jpg

8L =

01vg4.jpg

I'm from Macedonia. I'm getting the car from the daughter from one businessman and she wasn't very sure what's in/on it :D That is why I need to know to see if the prize is ok. She sells the car 10.000 euros. Not shure about the prizes there... :D

btw, is it possible on this standard, s-line to make it look like the one with the facelift?

and, thanks for not keeping me doing a monologue here ;D

Gorast.

Last edited:
€10,000 Sounds like a lot of money for a 2003 95,000km car. Not worth converting to face lift. For a little more you should be able to buy a face lift anyway but its just cosmetic. Its the same car.

I've paid 11.000 for mine last year and is a 2.0 TDI, about the same mileage, with DSG, leather, Bose... 10.000 at this moment is a lot of money for that car.

Don't forget either, €10000 looks like a lot more in the UK due to crappy exchange rate. Plus, cars are a little dearer on mainland Europe I've noticed.

Passat 1.9 TDI '97 with mileage over 250.000 here is 7000-8000€ :D
3rd world countries got crappy prizes due to customs in EU :D

Gorast.