EM TuningVolks Autos
    Reverse Gear

Status

Never heard my cooling fans???

hi,

ive had my 2007 S3 for about 2 months now, but for some reason my cooling fans have never kiked in ??? ive never gave it a long run but do about 15 miles each way to work and back each day.

should the fans kik in after driving for this distance?? theres no warning lights on but jus got a bit paranoid about it lol

please could someone advise me?

thanks in advance

oli

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Check your temperature on the dash, it should be about 90C
    A3 '04 2.0TDI 140 DSG with lots of goodies but stock

Reverse Gear

Status
    yes its always 90 oC when warmed up. but on every other car ive had the cooling fans kik in after driving??

is it because the S3 has a very "open" front for air cooling ???

surely the fans must come in at some point ?

3rd Gear

Status
    I've never heard mine kick in as well, but on my mom's tiggy almost after every drive.
    World's Fastest S3 Driver - racing old people in toyota camries since 1997 with a 97.6% winning rate.

Reverse Gear

Status
    at least im not the only one. i jus rang audi and asked the guy on service but it jus seemed like he dint have a clue what he was talkin about and jus making it up lol.

any1 else not heard theirs?

Neutral

Status
    odd quesion, anyway, if you leave the car standing for 5 mins (prob more) without driving the fans will eventually come on, they won't come on the moment you stop !!, esp in the uk where the weather is not that hot.

Reverse Gear

Status
    thanks for the quick response!!
    its jsut that all my other cars seem to kik the fans in after every drive!

thought i would be damaging the engine but it seems to be a normal thing then?

Neutral

Status
    tbh mate, i have never heard my fans either on my TDI, most modern cars seem to take ages and ages for the fans to come on, i reckon on a modern engine you would need to leave it for a good 10mins to get the fans on. I am not even sure mine work either ! lol, however you can check by turning the AC on, this will start one fan to push air through the AC rad. If you want to check you would need to drive it get it to 90deg, then leave it on the drive get a cuppa and wait, make sure the AC/heating is off, at some point, hopefully before the petrol runs out, the fans will come on ! lol

1st Gear

Status
    I thought i had this problem once, take the car for a drive. leave the car for running for 10 minutes stand still.

I had vag com monitoring the coolant temp, as guage isn't that great.

You should see the fans kick in at about 94C, if you driving i very much doubt they will kick as the air flow through the raditor is very good.

My fans are very quite, so i had to see them do it.

If the fans fail to kick check the fuses on top of the battery, the 30A ones.

Neutral

Status
    I noticed my fan wasn't on after a drive on a hot day the other week when I had the bonnet open and I've probably never heard it.

I thought this was a bit odd as my old car's fan used to always kick in after turning the engine off but as so many people are reporting the same I guess it's normal as engine temp was around 90c.

However I did hear a constant quiet beep from under the bonnet which I thought was a bit odd. Anybody else heard it or know why it's beeping?
    2005 A3 2.0 TDI SE DSG, 3 Door, Phantom Black (aka The Scratch Magnet)