S3 vs TTS

panamadi

Strider
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there are any actual hardware differences between the S3 and the TTS?
Seems to me like the same lump with exactly the same spec although the TTS seems to be quicker..

Would the TTS have a standard new shape S3 in a stright line? or would it be a close contest? any differences around twisties due to different shell?

Forgive me (a previous TT - old shape owner myself) but I always think the S3 is the mans and the TT the womans? I guess TTS etc different ball game no?

Agreed the TT is a bit of a womans car but the TT-S is a bit different! Although I bet there are plenty driven by women who never drive them to their limit :keule:

I've never driven one - they do actually look the :kissmyrings: though!

Some girl has a red one who lives near me - she has the seat so far forward it's untrue! and she takes about half an hour to get in and out of her parking bay!:):)

Seriously though are they a lot more of a machine than the S3 or quite close?

From what I've read it's a better handling car than the S3 and it has magnetic ride as standard IIRC.

Slightly more power from the factory and lighter car gives it better performance.

But it's not the biggest car in the world. I was thinking about one but always felt claustrophobic in the drivers seat.

The TT is a great looking car, as was the old one, its a shame it developed that camp image over time, thanks in part to the diluted fwd 150bhp version that VAG greedily marketed to milk the dregs from the platform.
Good for VAGs banks balance, rubbish for the cars image.

The only person I know who had the 150bhp fwd model was my mates wife. Says it all.
Shame.
I like them.

my2p

Paul

any differences around twisties due to different shell?

I had one over take me on the twisties at the Nurburgring. I was on stock suspension and giving it my all in the S3 schreeching around the bends but the TTS over took me with relative ease. By the time I came out of the bends onto a straight he was pretty much gone!

Agreed the TT is a bit of a womans car but the TT-S is a bit different! Although I bet there are plenty driven by women who never drive them to their limit :keule:

Ahemm.....

S1050261.jpg

You call this a womans car?

My freind has a sprint blue TT-S with S5 alloys. Looks absolutely fantastic! Although, I would still prefer an S3.

Its difficult to see where the TTS gets its performance figures from. A quick look on line gives the usual wildly varying specs from the various road tests with a wight that goes from 3070lb to 3375lb and a BHP from 265 to 271. The S3 seems to hit about the middle of these at 3208 lb and 265bhp. The max difference would be about 131.5 bhp per ton S3 and 135.1 bhp per ton TTS. Hardly enough t notice on the road. The obvious answer would be save your money and chip a std TT.
Often the manufacturer who is chasing performance figures will try and get to 60 mph in 1 gear change ie second...by playing about with ratio's they might save a .75 second gear change !! Thats why DSG's are often quicker than manual's.
Either way i cant see a TTS really bothering a S3.
PS.....I drove one and as Staz says, prepare to live like a sardine and dont expect to do long distances in comfort unless you are small !! I am 6ft4" and 18 stone and had trouble getting in the door :laugh:

I did the Audi driving experience a couple of months ago and got to drive the S3 and TTS and the TTS is alot better than the S3. It handled the track alot better and it seemed faster. :icon_thumright:

Its difficult to see where the TTS gets its performance figures from. A quick look on line gives the usual wildly varying specs from the various road tests with a wight that goes from 3070lb to 3375lb and a BHP from 265 to 271. The S3 seems to hit about the middle of these at 3208 lb and 265bhp. The max difference would be about 131.5 bhp per ton S3 and 135.1 bhp per ton TTS. Hardly enough t notice on the road. The obvious answer would be save your money and chip a std TT.
Often the manufacturer who is chasing performance figures will try and get to 60 mph in 1 gear change ie second...by playing about with ratio's they might save a .75 second gear change !! Thats why DSG's are often quicker than manual's.
Either way i cant see a TTS really bothering a S3.
PS.....I drove one and as Staz says, prepare to live like a sardine and dont expect to do long distances in comfort unless you are small !! I am 6ft4" and 18 stone and had trouble getting in the door :laugh:

:uhm:

Thats like saying the obvious answer is to get a standard A3 2.0T and chip it, over getting an S3:think: Make no sense at all...

:uhm:

Thats like saying the obvious answer is to get a standard A3 2.0T and chip it, over getting an S3:think: Make no sense at all...

It makes sense if you are looking at power which i was. The question on this header was performance, not trim, seats, or suspension. If you want to go as fast as an S3 in a TT then a TTS is a very expensive way of doing it.

Last edited:
Er no mate, I think you misread my post!

Hi Staz.

Sorry mate,no offence ment its just that sometimes I get sick of TT,s being referred to as girls or hairdressers cars.

Ok, fair enough...you try and explain why a TTS is quicker........or why we should not just buy a Boxster S

Lol i'd rather not try and explain as im not sure myself if im being honest. Maybe the TT-S is lighter or producing more power there could be loads of reasons. But i'm not bothered which one quicker. Both are great cars and i'd love to own either one of them. If i had to pick over a new TT-S or new Boxster S i'd probably go for the Boxster S as i've always wanted a porsche and i like the Boxster S.

Last edited:
Boxter is even tighter than a TT on Space but its just a cut above IMHO.

PS...sorry, i edited my post . I have to say your split grill looks good with the
S3 alloys ! I actually prefere the split grill in fact i had a race with a black 8L the other day with a black grill and i thought that looked even better Looks like i am going retro in my old age:yes:

Hi Staz.

Sorry mate,no offence ment its just that sometimes I get sick of TT,s being referred to as girls or hairdressers cars.

Understandable mate. But unfortunately I see more women in them than men so for me that's where I get it from.

BUT as I said the TT-S is different. It's closer to a proper sports car and that makes it a man's car :icon_thumright:

Understandable mate. But unfortunately I see more women in them than men so for me that's where I get it from.

BUT as I said the TT-S is different. It's closer to a proper sports car and that makes it a man's car :icon_thumright:

Flattery will get you everywhere :laugh:

I had an S3 and loved it then I got the TTS and I love that but I find the TTS handles a little better probably becuse its lighter as jamie said.

Boxter is even tighter than a TT on Space but its just a cut above IMHO.

PS...sorry, i edited my post . I have to say your split grill looks good with the
S3 alloys ! I actually prefere the split grill in fact i had a race with a black 8L the other day with a black grill and i thought that looked even better Looks like i am going retro in my old age:yes:

Space wouldnt be an issue with me 5'10 lol so i should fit in fine.
Thanks for that paddy still need to lower my car so she looks right.
I sprayed my split grill a dark grey the other week as i was bored and think it looks much better than the chrome. Also goes with the colour of my car. Black grill on your colour A3 looks good!

You reckon I need a set of S3 wheels and black grill then... I have just finished getting the inside how i want so now i am looking at the outside...almost seem a shame to mess with it :w00t:

Car.jpg

Hugy..I dont think the TTS is ligher than an S3 from what i can see ?

Last edited:
You reckon I need a set of S3 wheels and black grill then... I have just finished getting the inside how i want so now i am looking at the outside...almost seem a shame to mess with it :w00t:

There nothing wrong with RS6 alloys i had them before. Only changed them due to me getting a good deal with the S3 alloys The car looks lovely but i think with a black grill and votex front splitter like on Boydie A3 your car will stand out and look the part. I would say for S5 alloys but i think thats pushing my luck with you;)
As i can remember you saying you wont touch the outside of your car as you like it the way it is.
But i think with those two little mods which cost not that much can make a big difference. Any photos of the interior?
Also here a photo of my dark grey grill. I'd say the colour match is not that bad!
picture.php

Sorry panamadi for hijacking your thread mate.

Last edited:
Audi official site quotes the TTS-Coupe as 1395kg and the S3 as 1455kg, so there is a difference. I ran my 07 S3 for a couple of years and have recently swapped to a TTS Coupe with S-Tronic. They're not a million miles apart but to me the TTS feels more balanced, remember it has things like the battery relocated to the boot for weight distribution, improved air intake etc, so they're are some subtle differences. Probably more down to driver skill and balls as to which car would walk away from the other though. :)

Its a funny thing but i spend most of my time restoring classic Ducati's which involves getting things back to original....so changing something from original dosnt come easy to me.....lol i will take some pics inside at the weekend...

Hey James. you have to assume that Audi got the weights right :) My 3.2 A3 has the battery in the boot but then there aint a lot of room under the bonnet.

ive driven an standard s3 8p on a fair few occasions, my best mate has one, its a great car, its fast it handles really well, but feels slightly numb. i had a chipped 2.0t a3 and i now own a TT-s, the comment about saving your money and chip a regular tt is ridiculous. it will never be the car a TTS is. the TT-s comes with a bigger turbo, better air intake, mag ride, quattro, better exhaust. all as standard.

Putting 272bhp through a chipped fwd tt is not the same, performance wise as a TTS with quattro. straight line pace they may be close in the dry. but how about in the in the wet/ damp? in the bends. feathering the throttle all the time because of wheel spin, turning esp on and off because it interferes when trying to get the power down. that isnt like driving a TTS. my chipped a3 sline was useless around corners compared to the s3 and TTS.

the esp is also set up differently with the TTS, with it off u can drift, u cant alter or mod the esp on a fwd tt to behave like the esp on a TTS. compared to the s3 the tts feels even tighter in the bends. someone said balanced, it feels more balanced, its lower, wider, lighter with better weight distribution.

i dont know about the new s3 8p but the first ones had a more restrictive air intake than the TTS has.

as for a girls car, yes they look pretty and mine is a she! the majority of people i see driving TT's where i live are 40+ men.

the majority of people i see driving TT's where i live are 40+ [gay] men.

:undwech:

You're right though. My old A3 was nowhere near as good as my S3 and it had quattro. A standard 2.0T TT won't even touch a TT-S.

"the majority of people i see driving TT's where i live are 40+ [gay] men".
-------------------

Thats a lot of gay men i your area !

Some observations...

1) Mk 1 TT - rubbish as a drivers car, sorry, wife had one - understeering pig. old golf chassis. TT Sport - allegidly sightly better due to some handling mods.
2) Mk2 TT - what's chassis on this - I'm not sure it's the same as that under the A3/S3 which is a Golf at least has more in common with that car.
3) Not having drive a new TT(S), but it's clear from comments that it's a better handling car, and may hit 60 in second - which knocks a bit of the 0-60 figures. But on a normal B road bash there shouldn't be much in it between the S3 and the TTS, down to the driver.
4) TTS owners problably tune their cars too, so if someone was completely "murdered" by one, I'd expect underhand enhancements?

Paul

Sure what about the previous TT RS, two tone, cage etc.... hardly womans!

my best pal has one of these.. they are sick!!

handles amazing... much better than my s3.. seats are absolute class!!