Fog Lights ( Xenon or LED Bulb )

ST09

Reaction score
Hi Fellow Members,

As the title states my question is regarding the fog lights. I own facelift A3 with xenon lights and i want to match my fog lights with my headlights .. Can some one please guide me i.e if they have upgraded their fog light bulbs and from where did you buy it as there are plenty cheap quality bulbs available on the market. Plus will the h11 led bulb available on the market work on 09 plate A3 without throwing a DIS error ??

If yes , then which one shall i buy ?? Xenon bulb available on the market got blue tint and as we all know LEDs are pure white .. Please advice which one shall i buy to match the headlights ??

Thanks

Sal

I found a PIAA H11 4700K on ebay. Perfect match with the 2009 S3 headlights
Mine were from cargym.com
Hope this helps

I'm all for people doing what they want to their cars, but please don't get xenon fogs, it's the most useless mod you could do.

Your existing fog lights are designed to be effective in foggy conditions (funnily enough), xenons will not help you see better. In fact lower kelvin rated bulbs are more effective when visibility is bad, that's why the old rally cars from the 80's had massive yellow fogs.

If you're doing it purely for cosmetics then I hope the Police fine you :moa:

I'm all for people doing what they want to their cars, but please don't get xenon fogs, it's the most useless mod you could do.

Your existing fog lights are designed to be effective in foggy conditions (funnily enough), xenons will not help you see better. In fact lower kelvin rated bulbs are more effective when visibility is bad, that's why the old rally cars from the 80's had massive yellow fogs.

lol harsh! interesting info, mind... but do you not think it matches nicely zenon fogs & lamps?

tut tut @ cursing other people .. but yeah thanks for your advice .. my car my money and ill use it the way i want to :moa:

Sal

Nope im not one of them .. just use them when i go visit my cousins farm house .. and plus i hardly switch on my drl LEDs at day time .. feels kinda stooopid

I just come back from two weeks holiday in Germany and Austria with my A3. It's quite noticeable just how many drivers in both countries drive with either DRL's or their dipped headlights on all the time. UK is way behind as usual but DRLs will be required by law from, I think 2011.

When I drove from the Channel Tunnel terminal up the M20/M25/M11 to get home it was getting dark and I was amazed just how many UK drivers had failed to switch on their lights at all or just had their parking lights on and this on a motorway!!!

This is a myth.

There is a debate raging in the automotive lighting industry about which light color is the most effective for fog lights: yellow or white. "Yellowists" argue that yellow light waves are longer than white light waves, making them less likely to reflect off the water droplets in the fog. However, most experts agree that there is no measurable advantage to using yellow light. As it turns out, the fog particles are dense enough to reflect both white and yellow wave lengths equally. This fact has been known since 1938, after J.H. Nelson published the seminal article, "Optics in Headlights." Long story short, both colored lights work well, so choose the one you think looks best.

http://www.autoanything.com/lights/51A22.aspx#q247

isn't it because fog is "white"? so another colour is just easier to see?

please dont use either in your fog housing, it wont have the necessary optics to project/limit the beam, so you'll be blinding traffic in front of you.

There are debates on whether fog lamps really help you as a driver see the path in front better.
One thing for sure is that the yellow glow helps other drivers see/notice you better in low visibility conditions (fog, mist, rain...etc).

I have never been blinded by front hog lights, Xenon HIDs on the other hand, many times.