Another RNS-E & AMI upgrade question

sje_123

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've read all the recent threads on the forum regard the RNS-E upgrade but I still have a couple of questions.

1. Is eBay the best place to buy the latest model from (chrome knobs apparently!!) and how much should I be looking to pay? If you could link to the version I am after on eBay just so I have an idea that would be great.

2. Will I need to buy a cage for it to sit in, or does it sit in the one the symphony 2 sits in?

3. I have ordered my S3 with the Symphony 2 upgrade which has the 6CD changer, if it is possible to upgrade to the AMI, and if so does the CD changer need ripping out?

4. After installing the RNS-E (which I want to try and do myself, seems pretty simple for what you guys say), will I need anything doing via VAGcom which I don't own or know much/anything about?!

Cheers!

:s3addict:

Apparently you didn`t read everything, since all your questions are answered in multiple threads!!

Nevermind

1)eBay is your friend, there are some good auctions going around, usually the new Chrome Styled RNS-e`s are about 100-150p more than the old ones.
If you ask me totally worth it! :)

2)If you already got a 2 din stereo - which I suppose you have- then the installation is plug&play

3)No AMI for you my friend, only MY10 RNS-e`s have this feature

4)Yes, coding will be needed

Apparently you didn`t read everything, since all your questions are answered in multiple threads!!

Nevermind

1)eBay is your friend, there are some good auctions going around, usually the new Chrome Styled RNS-e`s are about 100-150p more than the old ones.
If you ask me totally worth it! :)

2)If you already got a 2 din stereo - which I suppose you have- then the installation is plug&play

3)No AMI for you my friend, only MY10 RNS-e`s have this feature

4)Yes, coding will be needed

What do you mean by MY10 RNS-E? Can I not purchase one of these for the car when I pick it up in Nov/Dec?

My car arrives later this year with the symphony II and so without being able to look I wasn't sure how many dins it had, but from what you're saying it sounds like mine has a double!

As for the VAGcom I presume if I give offer someone on here who knows what they're doing some cash they would do it for me!?

Cheers

BY MY10 RNS-e i mean the 2nd generation of RNS-e

It has better resolution, SHDC capacity, AMI connection etc
Much better and so much more expensive

There are some units available now for around 2000 euros or so

I guess it also possible to retrofit this unit, but you`d have to wait until it gets a bit cheaper!

And about VCDS, sure no worries anyone could help you for beer tokens!