MY10 - Audi Music Interface thru RNS-E

I have the AMI set up with an 32gb ipod classic. With so much music to search through it would have been great for Audi to enable an alphabetical search (like the phone number search). Its a pain to have to scroll through the albums particularly if the name starts towards the end of the alphabet - or am I missing something!
Thinking of getting an S3, and really interested in this set-up.

One question please - when scrolling do you have a choice of using the buttons on the headunit orthe steering wheel buttons, or is it just head-unit ones ? Would obviously be better if you could use the steering wheel ones.

Thanks
Yaks

Great thread. Very helpful when I was making my decision on an A3. I do have a question, Lima.

Do you have to unplug your iPod and plug it back into the AMI cable regularly for the AMI to recognize it? On my new 2010 A3, I have to do that. After a few times using it, the iPod comes up 'unrecognized' by the AMI. A quick unplug-replug brings it back.

I'm using an original 160 gb iPod classic with up-to-date firmware.

Thanks.

Hi mate, sorry for the very late reply! On my car I've never had the iPod drop out, the only time I have a need to disconnect it from the car is if I need to sync some new songs via iTunes.

Do you have to unplug your iPod and plug it back into the AMI cable regularly for the AMI to recognize it? On my new 2010 A3, I have to do that. After a few times using it, the iPod comes up 'unrecognized' by the AMI. A quick unplug-replug brings it back.

I'm using an original 160 gb iPod classic with up-to-date firmware.

Thanks.

I don't have this issue and I'm using an 80gb iPod classic

Finally I was able to get a cheap 2010 RNSE and the AMI module, I plan to use 8K0051592 as wiring harness in my 2009 A3 , does anyone knows where to tap the CAN bus? Wiring diagram says B415 & B421: Infotainment CAN-Bus High/Low Connection 1 (in main wiring harness). Any idea where this is located? Thanks in advance from México lads!

Yeah, I know this. But I feel it would be a sin to cut & splice these beauties:

GkyaBsaqQAqLVv4lU0G7QJdZO2z_5GubivXxIUiiZUSCo5QiXsqG5Z732Sss3wgh6X-OvN8ZL82EM9syb874RUK0Eq8m_g1Q7Ye47BhxaZk4VmjGr3sJyjVUcuFcX2VxHDuq4bfORHZaQnLL5mXlLMQnjH8ZXGr4TqTA-wJePfrnowwcndMbr2IHjMp_35pg6DoLpvIkDLBLeNZUN16bOtCItdgoShMmtOvr0dpzlUN-klI1qF-7h0L74XMxxHeyLwBKitHnCn-FdY1v-Xzpk1KAykWLku57TBtsHLWIg_p6vZWZT7RBToOS9hHpjbZ68m7XpBNn11swxylPN9Xip70AecFyK_DqtNbJC9p-d-uytz5PYOnXVv40NwjV_QTU8lxNPgQKUpOv-7jzyeeH_l93z3wdBDWyUY4LNW_BwfCHuOJO19nTTeL7Ua7fdYLs0-bLEU6ANfEkVWa0WV-ECyDG81YqcJDszXRKIUEYsSZBCx0ADcyoYOJSye9Mu1XIbDzsE7Tb2qRNi010SqmMWw8RFhGdrDTCSB45n6rfU2SfqO_76JemPx9sFqIgvzNZuIYWb6fUx811TlO3rLo6oN0EWjFcLZFlH51ou4hytjsuXTFCgLMsA_0RfeWm1BkwIQ2-HicQcXGti-oxc7hnHyK_dfGf9JU=w480-h640-no

xHjAoZudc1u-GZRU7XWQKSjYj5fniEOPyDrJgICbAANuoMp9YkMhq9OyoyhsY2sG0D47LjHzGaqK-ZXHHn1fZhaAQncCO-1DJURKp_z8T7jWYgT5DlRbzwjWUi02gjzOB5HQJGs2wuiGODyzAaGf5S6mDIQi25hLQKoHI6A308O0Dog8Jenmm9ITShTCfAuHsWFKUP9q4y03lFqEZPlHlWz_gqiVOmGcqPR5jZ2mVxs0hKsmEGAboBoefrhpFJvek-eA6IYrYs86dJkDtg5H2jgHAdO6WW1qiAOPnnIu9GjCSreiuTwSOSwRp9zqG4dUjaub0LMwpyJkJU3nzma6ghfDnYMr7w1bYGQXkcpu-z6U7pmwSXPcLxn8CTDrIGrYUkI0POQFLJsrnYMLOR6SaWuckq2VjWImBgGdhCm1XowJt8iUEzRyvuEFdqw66lPW6wr6I8MvKJB9cYVZI0RCPvu4W3eKig7hqXAIkItJitYwOY0MdKpytWSie8nXxBVs8SK-ymaU74Rbs80sVQh4iv97CHAt9RMgjNGSNnQHfxOHiJzVldXtzK1WQNyJW_8m-C9SJ9t3ScvpQrnLzb6nLpoqe4DE7Pzx-JBp9wnBs1dwV0siwZ2AmW2DuVUKqkZl-LhHhj7DaS2ASzsHNXMSdVjKBHXrSlU=w480-h640-no

Judging by the length, I would assume these go all the way to the fuses area. The manual for my harness (it's for an A4, A5 or Q5) shows it connects to the T46s CAN instrument panel, slot 12. The A3 doesn't have this. That's the reason I'm looking for locations B415 & B421 as described in the wiring diagram.

In the A4 the T46 is the CAN disconnector, basically a big connector with spare slots where you can insert repair wires and connect to the LIN & CAN busses.

If the A3 doesn't have this connector then you will have to splice the wires somewhere. B415 and B421 connect to the infotainment CAN, this starts at J533 (data bus connector in the left footwell) on pins 10 and 20, these will be in use as this is infotainment CAN. The RNSe is also connected to B415 and B421. This should be on pins 9 (CAN H) and 10 (CAN L) of the 16 pin connector on the back of your RNSe. The location of B415 and B421 isn't listed in ELSA, I imagine that this is simply a splice in the factory loom somewhere between J533 and the RNSe. If you want to trace where that is, it's up to you. I would just connect to the back of the RNSe as you will be doing that anyway for the AMI.

One other problem you may want to look into. 8K0051592 is only suitable for vehicles with radio concert or symphony only.
https://shops.audi.com/en_GB/web/ac...ness-for-the-audi-music-interface-8k0051592-9

@JohnS3 , I wonder if you can help me here I have the Rns-e MK2 installed and it had a mass amount off wires branching from one main Thick brown wire ( which I have worked out is an Earth ( me thinks ) what my problem is I'm still getting coding pin error for the Bose pin ( car has Bose ) so really all I need is the colour off wire that would go to the Bose pin cause some wires got snipped and it could be one off them any help would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance

@JohnS3 , I wonder if you can help me here I have the Rns-e MK2 installed and it had a mass amount off wires branching from one main Thick brown wire ( which I have worked out is an Earth ( me thinks ) what my problem is I'm still getting coding pin error for the Bose pin ( car has Bose ) so really all I need is the colour off wire that would go to the Bose pin cause some wires got snipped and it could be one off them any help would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance

Did you retrofit the RNSe?
If yes what was there before?
What year is the car?

OK, this is from memory as it's been a few years since I played with this stuff in an A3.

If you are just seeing a pin coding error then the RNSe coding doesn't match the pin configuration. Pin earthed = BOSE fitted.

The RNSe needs to be coded for BOSE, check the main unit coding (and maybe one of the adaptation channels?)

The BOSE pin needed to be moved in the blue plug on the RNSe quad lock when upgrading to RNSe, check this has been done.

When it's coded correctly, the tone curve is flattened to produce a different sound characteristic so you may not like what you hear.

Have a google around for info, I'm sure you will find it all on this site, sorry I don't remember it off the top of my head.

OK, this is from memory as it's been a few years since I played with this stuff in an A3.

If you are just seeing a pin coding error then the RNSe coding doesn't match the pin configuration. Pin earthed = BOSE fitted.

The RNSe needs to be coded for BOSE, check the main unit coding (and maybe one of the adaptation channels?)

The BOSE pin needed to be moved in the blue plug on the RNSe quad lock when upgrading to RNSe, check this has been done.

When it's coded correctly, the tone curve is flattened to produce a different sound characteristic so you may not like what you hear.

Have a google around for info, I'm sure you will find it all on this site, sorry I don't remember it off the top of my head.

I cheers for your help , and yip it is a config problem but just not sure what wire it will be but looks like I will need to unpin each one at a time on the blue block ( only have 4 in there ) but not sure if that's right amount .