Quattro or not ??

ColinS

Reaction score
After owning an 1.8T quattro for a few years it is time to change.

I am looking at 8P s-line 2.0T quattro's . . . . but have spotted a cracking 2.0T FWD s-line. I am not sure if i should hold out for a quattro ??

The main reason I went for my quattro just now is that it is 180 bhp where as the 2WD's of the same age are 150 bhp, and obviously handling is much better with quattro.

The newer models are all the same power so it would only be the handling benefits with the quattro.

Anybody went from quattro back to 2WD ?? anybody have any opinions at all on the 8P quattro and 2WD??

I have a 2.0T Quattro and I'm very happy - a very competent steer.

I haven't driven a 2WD version, but I'm think it's worth adding that the transmission loss of Haldex may not be as bad as a "proper" 4WD system.

I'm not sure how the Haldex set-up compares to that of the Mk1 A3, but I think the one I've got is only 4WD when you need it. I've been surprised by the relatively decent fuel economy of about 28mpg around town and up to 40mpg on long runs (probably mid to low 30s overall).

If you are considering a remap in the future then IMO go for quattro.

Ok, you may lose a little straight line speed once on the move but in everyday, all weather situations 250bhp is better harnessed with 4wd.

Although in std 200bhp form, fwd is probably adequate IMO although Im not familiar with the A3 20T chassis set up ( Im assuming the A3 chassis is fairly comparable with a MK5 Golf BTW)

In fact if your are looking at a fwd A3 20T then it might be worth considering the Golf as an alternative. Different car but worth a look.

cheers
Paul

I have a 2.0T Quattro and I'm very happy - a very competent steer.

I haven't driven a 2WD version, but I'm think it's worth adding that the transmission loss of Haldex may not be as bad as a "proper" 4WD system.

Tend to agree, going from a 250bhp fwd Golf to a 265bhp 4wd S3, and science aside, the Golf certainly didnt feel faster in any situation.

Paul

Just my 2pence worth, I have got a 2.0T quattro and went through the dilemma of getting a fwd car having owned both fwd and rwd in the past.

We live in england where it rains, a lot (ok not as much as scotland!) and I find that fwd often couldn't put the power down at low speeds whilst rwd was a little more hairy if I gave it the beans a bit too aggressively. IMHO the quattro allows me, the very average driver, to just push the envelope just a little more when the roads are damp and greasy.

Just my 2pence worth, I have got a 2.0T quattro and went through the dilemma of getting a fwd car having owned both fwd and rwd in the past.

We live in england where it rains, a lot (ok not as much as scotland!) and I find that fwd often couldn't put the power down at low speeds whilst rwd was a little more hairy if I gave it the beans a bit too aggressively. IMHO the quattro allows me, the very average driver, to just push the envelope just a little more when the roads are damp and greasy.

I was going to type that........

Thanks Paul!

Yeah buy mine! Would LOVE it to go to a good home!!!!

I love the Quattro, it is so handy coming out of junctions in the wet when there is little gap to get out from and also its great when it shows as you see other people wheel spinning going nowhere and you can just drive off like normal!

I'm not sure how the Haldex set-up compares to that of the Mk1 A3, but I think the one I've got is only 4WD when you need it. I've been surprised by the relatively decent fuel economy of about 28mpg around town and up to 40mpg on long runs (probably mid to low 30s overall).

The transmission looses are much nearer that of a 4wd car than a fwd car. The only difference with haldex is no centre diff. There is still all the other moving parts extra i.e. prop shaft, rear diff, drives shafts etc which require extra power over a 2wd car to turn. Haldex also doesn't only become awd when needed it will be transferring varying power aft all the time the car is driving fwd.

Fair enough.

I've read that the default is 2.5% power to the rear wheels, although the system clearly ups the amount on demand.

I believe if driving at a steady speed about 10% goes to the rear but as you say any increase in acceleration will vary the amount.

If you are considering a remap in the future then IMO go for quattro.

Ok, you may lose a little straight line speed once on the move but in everyday, all weather situations 250bhp is better harnessed with 4wd.

Although in std 200bhp form, fwd is probably adequate IMO although Im not familiar with the A3 20T chassis set up ( Im assuming the A3 chassis is fairly comparable with a MK5 Golf BTW)

In fact if your are looking at a fwd A3 20T then it might be worth considering the Golf as an alternative. Different car but worth a look.

cheers
Paul

+1 :beerchug:

Fair enough.

I've read that the default is 2.5% power to the rear wheels, although the system clearly ups the amount on demand.

Does it also not depend on which Haldex system you have, I thought there were a few generations used across the S3?

Loving the Mintsauce pic by the way!! Jo Burt is a legend!

Does it also not depend on which Haldex system you have, I thought there were a few generations used across the S3?

Not really, the differences with the different generations are the reaction times to move power and pre loading the system from stopped which the gen 2 couldnt do.