No longer selling

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobinA3

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
After 3 yrs of ownership i am thinking about selling the A3. I have been looking at either an S2000 or a VX220 turbo. S2000 is the first choice as the VX220 is pretty unpractical!

Has anyone got an experience of the 2 cars?

The A3 is the following spec:

A3 2.0TFSI Quattro 6 Speed Box S-Line (not many manual ones around as most are DSG).
Registered 10/2005
1 Previous owner
35500miles on the clock
Full Service History
ALWAYS fed on 99ron fuel, Shell or BP, no supermarket stuff!

Factory Options fitted:

20 Spoke Split rims
Bi-Xenons
ArmRest
Cruise Control
S3 Mirrors
6 Disc Dash CD Stereo
Tinted Windows
4 Goodyear F1 tyres fitted 2k miles ago.

Retro Fitted Items:

Interior Lighting Pack inc footwell and puddle lights.
Flat Bottom Multifunction Steering Wheel
S3 Alu Pedals

Modifications:

Superchips Bluefin remap -240bhp.
KW V1 Coilovers
Forge Quickshift
Uprated OEM diverter valve.
Votex Audi Side Skirts

Garaged every night and washed/waxed every weekend, its my pride and joy and no expense spared on it. The wax i use alone costs me £30 for a tiny tub.

Don't really know what to ask for it, i am thinking £13.5k, any opinions?

coilover7-1.jpg

coilover6-1.jpg

coilover8-1.jpg

Last edited:
Its a very nice motor Robin, I remember seeing it when it was tucked up in your garage when you did some VDS work for me (before I bought my own cable).

Good luck with the sale. Just sold my A3 cabriolet and pick up my B8 A4 s-line executive next week.

Do you do the wiring for the puddle lights and footwell lights for the new A4's and know what pins to connect to?

Cheers

Neil

:beerchug:

My old man bought an S2000 earlier this year. It was bang on 3yr old, had 4K miles (yes 4K!), was used as a 2nd car owned by a local GP.

Light blue met with blue hide and hood. (non GT model so no hardtop)
Absolutely out of the box mint.
£13.5K !!

Brilliant little car. Amazing bang for buck and tough as hell.

Colleague also has one, had it a while and cant rate it highly enough. Tracked it a few times to `learn` how to get it sideways safely but reckons you still have to be respectful.

Coolest of the modern roadsters IMO, just the right side of hairdresser:icon_thumright: and not as obvious as TTs Boxters etc.
Epic Gearbox, revvy nature can be a bit hard work, dull inside, but everything else more than makes up for it.
VX is not my cup of tea, looks kit car-ish, wrong badge too.
:undwech:
Has to be the S2000, they went out of production this year so get one now!

Happy shopping.
Cheers
Paul

I'd go for the 'onda as well. VX owners rave about how good their cars are and I do believe them...but it's a mixture of a Vauxhall and a Lotus :think:

Get the Honda and you have a far better chance of it still working next week :whistle2:

Very nice car Robin. Will you be sad to see her go? She looks like a very tidy example of an A3 mate. Regarding price may be best to check out other 2.0tfsi s-line quattros see what they are going for. I picked my old A3 56plate 2.0tfsi s-line s-tronic 21,500miles one owner from new for £13k from a dealer. But mine was FWD not Quattro like yours. But i think you could get £13k she a very decent and tidy car with some nice mods and low miles.
Good luck with the sale and keep us updated on which car you get nexted!

Honda all the way mate, freind of mine had one and has since owned all of the following 911, M3, Monaro,Corvette ZO6, RS4 and he still hankers after his Honda.Great engine but you may miss the low down torque of the Audi as the Honda is all revs.

Mark

Honda is the quality car of the 2 without a doubt. Try a 3.2 Boxter S as well :)

i sold the A3 and bought an 02 Accord Type R :D

5000rpm to 8800rpm - its maddd!!

when a normal car runs out of puff, the vtec just kicks in on this and keeps on going!

My mate has a black s2000 but he took me for a spin and it handles like its on rails and the engines mounted behind the back wheels for better weight disribution! Also, its decent on petrol when drivng normal but drink when driving it enthusiastically!

And, they're bulletproof! Rag them, redline them, providing you service it, it wil go on for ever! Loving mine at the min :D

BTW, There's an s2000 goin through BCA car auctions this friday and you may get it cheap.

When I was looking for the 2.0 T Sportback DSG I now own I reckoned on a base price from an Audi Dealer in the south east for s Sport model of 22 grand less 100 quid for every month old and 100 quid for every thousand miles. So for your age and mileage I'd expect to see it at about 13,850.

More in London itself or for an S-Line, less for an SE or if it's up North.

Autotrader have quite good search options so you should be able to get a pretty good idea of what others are asking for that age/mileage/model.

It may be that the Quattro is rarer than the DSG, I thought that me wanting DSG restricted my option more.

I just sold my wife's 2 weeks ago same spec but mine had sat nav , bluetooth , ipod , rs 4 alloy wheels and was a quattro , reflex silver , it did have 54k on it though and 2 owners.
FASH. Full black leather interior. £ 10.500 , it was in the autotrader for 3 weeks at £11250. It is a buyers market at the moment.

Glass's book price on your car is £10500 in mint condition which is pretty much what they would give you part ex for it. Going by that I would think you would be lucky to get £12k for it.

Both good cars only thing as mentioned is the respect for them,we have had a few in at work and all have been through losing back ends in the wet and they were big impacts,the vx220 also great car and also easy to tune but also as mentioned the practicality of getting in and out for everyday use is the downside and definately agree with boxter because IMO the best out of the lot but dont know how they compare price wise

As mentioned, the VX220 isn't particularly practical for getting in and out of. I had a VX Turbo for a while, and it was genuinely quick - after a remap it would keep up with 911's. Handling was sensational, and not a car known for reliability issues, and most that turn up for sale are second (or third) cars so low mileage too. Practicality of getting in and out of etc isn't a problem at all when you get used to it, but wouldn't recommend it as an only car. S2000 is by all accounts a great car, but both the styling and interior are looking dated now. Boxster S would be a better all rounder, but a 6 year old Boxster would be as much cash as a 3 year old S2000, and is likely to be more expensive to maintain and does have some reliability concerns. Z4 3.0 should be a consideration - a mate's just bought one, and it's quicker and much sportier than I'd have expected.

I used to own a 2002 S2000 GT in the best colour IMO Silverstone Grey with Red leather interior. The car was fantastic to drive and I would reconmend it to anyone. So much fun to drive. I would reconmend getting a post 06 facelift version which have the revised suspension 17" wheels and newer facelift look inside and out you wont regret owning one, they are so few and far between if you ever pass one the other driver always waves which is really quite nice. The uk s2000 owners club and forum is fantastic (check out http://www.s2kuk.com/s2kuk/index.php) like this one with loads of helpfull people. They run far more track days and meets than on here which is quite nice.

Hers a few old photos of mine to temp you..
2dhs10i.jpg

2cdxqwm.jpg

15oyxch.jpg

and you have to love the old digital display..
5vd2zn.jpg

A great car.

Hope this helps?

Last edited:
i sold the A3 and bought an 02 Accord Type R :D

My mate has a black s2000 but he took me for a spin and it handles like its on rails and the engines mounted behind the back wheels for better weight disribution! Also, its decent on petrol when drivng normal but drink when driving it enthusiastically!

QUOTE]

Sorry to correct you but the engine in an S2000 is mounted in the front not the rear!!! It is rear wheel drive and does handle in the dry like it's on rails and you'll easily return 25-29mpg even when pushing it but my engine in my S2000 was most deffinatly mounted over the front wheels under the bonnet!!!! If your mate told you it was mid engined he was lying......

And a photo of my S2000 engine under the bonnet at the front of the car!
qsupvl.jpg

just incase...

Last edited:
I always had the impression you had to thrash the balls off them to get it to go ? bit like the civic R...looks like i was wrong.

I always had the impression you had to thrash the balls off them to get it to go ? bit like the civic R...looks like i was wrong.

There is two ways of driving them.... Fast and then f***ing fast, you can drive at a decent pace just reving to arround 6.5k-7 however if you go all they way, which when you have a k&n fipk fitted and it really screams right up to 9k the speed is just awesome... If you are ever bored pop down to your local honda dealer act as if your interested and take one for a spin you wont regret it. Its one of a few cars I would have on my list of cars to drive.....

Wow old post!

The A3 is not going, its staying in the household, i managed to convince the missus that it would be better to sell her Mk4 R32 and use the A3 instead!

So now i have all my 3 cars on the driveway which i absolutely love!!!! Well it will be 3 tomorrow when i pick up the S2000!

I was looking for an S2000, and there were SOOOO many good ones in my budget, even nice facelift models, but group 20 insurance for a 23 yr old was a complete p1ss take lol.
Looked at 350Zs premium althought had no interest in getting one and it was barely more then my 2.0TQ, despite having a 3.5 V6 and more power then the Honda...

When i bought the A3 i aslo looked at the S2000, the Audi insurance was £600 but the S2000 was £1600 and that was when i was 25 with 5yrs no claims!

Always wanted a S2000 and since the insurance is now £600 for one i thought to myself its time to spend my lifesavings on yet another stupid car!!!

When i bought the A3 i aslo looked at the S2000, the Audi insurance was £600 but the S2000 was £1600 and that was when i was 25 with 5yrs no claims!

Always wanted a S2000 and since the insurance is now £600 for one i thought to myself its time to spend my lifesavings on yet another stupid car!!!

I do miss my s2000, The A3 is great but doesn't quite have the edge the honda does!! What colour combo did you get? You moded it in any way? Wouldn't call it stupid may be crazy or insaine, never stupid!!!!

I got the facelifted version in silverstone silver with red and black interior!

Make sure you post up some pics Robin, good luck picking her up today!

I got the facelifted version in silverstone silver with red and black interior!

Am very jealous!!!! Lovely colour choice!!! If I could reconmend one mod to make it would be a K&N FPIK the transformation in exhaust note is sublime how any drop to should sound!!!!! Watch that rear end it the wet icy weather they do like stepping out, ensure that you have the correct bridgestone tyres on the rear as they are ever so skitty on any other rubber. If you haven't already done so sign up to the www.s2kuk.co.uk site an abundance of wise tips....

Ps post some pic's up!!! Just to tempt me back into one even more!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.